Mr. Football Nominees for DII 1A

FridayMainEvent

2 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

What about a kid with 3000 rushing, receiving and return yards? Plus INTs, PBUs, and 60 tackles? Shoule he be nominated? 

Would that be your #7 that ran over, around and through us and everyone when he wasn't hurt? Does he really have that many yards? He was definitely one heckuva player!

11 minutes ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

Dang it! Should've looked first. Thought he was a TKA guy given previous comments. My apologies.....didn't think he had that many yards anyway.

#7 from TKA has had a great year. However, no where near 3000yds.  He was right at 1000 yds rushing when he got hurt. He is special returning the ball as well.  He will be back by the playoffs.

There are a lot of great backs in Div II this year

Xavier Myers - Jr
Nashville Christian (Nashville)

RB, SS

Darius Hylick - Jr
Mount Juliet Christian Academy (Mt. Juliet)

RB, OLB

Da'joun Hewitt - Jr
Davidson Academy (Nashville)

RB, CB

Kemari Mcgowan - So
Middle Tennessee Christian (Murfreesboro)

RB, S

Jajuan Foutch - Sr
Friendship Christian (Lebanon)

RB, WR

What's very sad about this list is these are all 'skill' players.  TSSAA took the award away from all of the lineman/backs.   Why they did that is simply a terrible decision.  I understand that everyone shouldn't get a 'participation trophy' but there should be two Mr. Football's for each class for the kids that opened up the line for the backs to get the yards above.  None of them would have done so without a big huge lineman in front of them.

6 hours ago, AlbertPine said:

What's very sad about this list is these are all 'skill' players.  TSSAA took the award away from all of the lineman/backs.   Why they did that is simply a terrible decision.  I understand that everyone shouldn't get a 'participation trophy' but there should be two Mr. Football's for each class for the kids that opened up the line for the backs to get the yards above.  None of them would have done so without a big huge lineman in front of them.

I completely agree with this post. (And my kid is not a lineman!) It seems to me, all anyone cares about on here are rushing yards and TDs. Most have completely discounted the line and defense altogether. I don't even see any real discussion on QBs or WRs. Are there any QBs, WRs, LINEMEN that should be considered? What about the top performers and their academic/leadership standing? Isn't that a huge part of this award? It should be!

10 hours ago, AlbertPine said:

Did the TSSAA do this or lose sponsorship to have both?

3 hours ago, RaiseEmRightnPray said:

I completely agree with this post. (And my kid is not a lineman!) It seems to me, all anyone cares about on here are rushing yards and TDs. Most have completely discounted the line and defense altogether. I don't even see any real discussion on QBs or WRs. Are there any QBs, WRs, LINEMEN that should be considered? What about the top performers and their academic/leadership standing? Isn't that a huge part of this award? It should be!

IF I had a vote here is how I would vote in order. I have seen DCA, MJCA, MTCS, TKA, FCS, DA & NCS in person. 

Co #1 Da'Joun Hewitt - Davidson Academy. Having monster year on arguably best team in state. Has only played in first half many games due to running clock games and shares reps/backfield with another All State player in his QB. Leading scorer in TN in all classes. 

Co #1 Xavier Meyers - NCS. Absolute stud. 300+ yards in loss to DA. Everyone knows he is getting the ball and still can't stop him. Has no QB support like Hewitt does so makes what he does even more impressive. 

Darius Hylick - MJCA. Has put up some big #'s and runs well. Kind of a no show vs TKA in a huge game for them with 32 yards.

Stone Norton - Davidson Academy. Top QB in state sharing backfield with Hewitt so they take reps away from one another. Competition has been poor as well for most part so he has not had the pass attempts he saw last year due to running clock games and not playing in 2nd half.

Luke Smith - FCS. Game changer on both sides of the ball. Kid is a monster and has an incredible motor. 

Chris Akporoghene - TKA. Super solid lineman for a surprise TKA team that has been solid in passing and running game.

Brant Lawless - NCS. Obviously a tremendous talent and attracts double teams while affecting the game but inconsistent effort to me. He should dominate games and doesn't. 

Kemari McGowan - MTCS. Nice year for the Soph. Should be more in the mix the next 2 years.

These are just my opinions and meant for fun, not to insult or create attacks on the T. I'm sure many others are deserving of mentions but this is what I saw and I think I saw the top teams in the state. This has been the year of the RB to say the least and all of these guys are really good. Foutch from FCS is another really good one but injury has slowed him somewhat this season. Best of luck to all nominated and all teams in the playoffs. Should be fun to watch.

6 hours ago, CFAfan said:

IF I had a vote here is how I would vote in order. I have seen DCA, MJCA, MTCS, TKA, FCS, DA & NCS in person. 

Co #1 Da'Joun Hewitt - Davidson Academy. Having monster year on arguably best team in state. Has only played in first half many games due to running clock games and shares reps/backfield with another All State player in his QB. Leading scorer in TN in all classes. 

Co #1 Xavier Meyers - NCS. Absolute stud. 300+ yards in loss to DA. Everyone knows he is getting the ball and still can't stop him. Has no QB support like Hewitt does so makes what he does even more impressive. 

Darius Hylick - MJCA. Has put up some big #'s and runs well. Kind of a no show vs TKA in a huge game for them with 32 yards.

Stone Norton - Davidson Academy. Top QB in state sharing backfield with Hewitt so they take reps away from one another. Competition has been poor as well for most part so he has not had the pass attempts he saw last year due to running clock games and not playing in 2nd half.

Luke Smith - FCS. Game changer on both sides of the ball. Kid is a monster and has an incredible motor. 

Chris Akporoghene - TKA. Super solid lineman for a surprise TKA team that has been solid in passing and running game.

Brant Lawless - NCS. Obviously a tremendous talent and attracts double teams while affecting the game but inconsistent effort to me. He should dominate games and doesn't. 

Kemari McGowan - MTCS. Nice year for the Soph. Should be more in the mix the next 2 years.

These are just my opinions and meant for fun, not to insult or create attacks on the T. I'm sure many others are deserving of mentions but this is what I saw and I think I saw the top teams in the state. This has been the year of the RB to say the least and all of these guys are really good. Foutch from FCS is another really good one but injury has slowed him somewhat this season. Best of luck to all nominated and all teams in the playoffs. Should be fun to watch.

I think this is spot on. I think it's a two person race between Hewitt and Myers. NCS has had 3 games where Myers didn't play in the 2nd quarter and is still leading the state in rushing.  I think a valid argument can be made for either back. I think Hewitt has much cleaner running lanes do to the QB on DA but I don't want that to take away from his year.  I am not sure how many people saw the DA/NCS game but Myers faced 9 and 10 man boxes much of the game and still had 300+. 

That being said, I think all mentioned are having a tremendous year. Good luck in the playoffs