8-AAA

OldEagleEye

7 hours ago, oldschoolhoops said:

For what it's worth, if their plan was to flop on ball screens, it hurt them. I don't think it worked at all. Lots of fouls on the offensive end- it caused a couple of players to have to sit with fouls. I'd love to see the film, but seemed like they might need to do a little more work on setting/using ball screens from what I could tell. 

Agree on this point. Both Vaughn and Morgan picked up quick moving screen/blocking fouls in the first half. It caused Vaughn to sit with foul trouble for a spell. 

The potential is there for this team. When Morgan is driving and Vinson is working on the block and shooting the 3, it’s hard to defend. Add in the kick outs to Vaughn for the 3, they can really get rolling offensively. Those three probably combined for 55 or so Friday. It’s hard to cover all three of them. If you take away the lane, they will shoot the 3. If you don’t help down, Abby and Bella will shoot layups and 8 foot jump shots. With Graham (who has improved offensively and makes timely baskets along with her defense) and the hard nosed    Garrettson playing tough on both ends, they are fun to watch. They have a fairly deep bench with girls capable of playing quality minutes. They are going to Tampa after Christmas to play in a holiday tournament. Will be interesting to see how they match up. There are supposed to be some quality teams down there. Only time will tell how it shakes out. They can compete with most of 7AAA and they don’t actually have to beat Riverdale to advance in March. Just make it to the Region finals. 

Lots of ball to be played, but this likely the best group CC has put on the floor in 20 years  

EDIT: I apologize oldschoolhoops for repeating some of your points. I didn’t see the intitial post, only the second one. 

Edited by PEARLBALL

20 hours ago, oldschoolhoops said:

For what it's worth, if their plan was to flop on ball screens, it hurt them. I don't think it worked at all. Lots of fouls on the offensive end- it caused a couple of players to have to sit with fouls. I'd love to see the film, but seemed like they might need to do a little more work on setting/using ball screens from what I could tell. 

I wasn't meaning anything negative about CC when I said that but if you watch the first possession of the game you will see what I am talking about.  That was repeated throughout the entire game.   A couple times she fell before she even got set.  It put our best defenders in foul trouble and opened up the game.  Either way they won and they are a solid team.  If the rest of the team knocks down the shots on the kick outs they will win alot of games this year.    That really hurt in our game.  But that will be how the rest of the teams play them all year.   It will be for the rest of the team to beat them.  Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LadyCavsFan said:

I wasn't meaning anything negative about CC when I said that but if you watch the first possession of the game you will see what I am talking about.  That was repeated throughout the entire game.   A couple times she fell before she even got set.  It put our best defenders in foul trouble and opened up the game.  Either way they won and they are a solid team.  If the rest of the team knocks down the shots on the kick outs they will win alot of games this year.    That really hurt in our game.  But that will be how the rest of the teams play them all year.   It will be for the rest of the team to beat them.  Good luck.

Nothing to apologize for from my point of view. You are right. Vaughn did draw a foul on the first screen she set and that was clearly the plan. But, to do that consistently, you have to practice it a lot and also practice on how the ball handler should use a screen. I thought Morgan and Vaughn both got away with a moving screen before they stopped running that set. I enjoyed watching the Cookeville post play. It’s easy to see how she got to a 1000 pts. Cookeville didn’t shoot the ball well at all Friday or the game would have been another nail biter. Only negative thing I have to say and I hate being negative, your coach is obviously passionate. Some might mistake it for dramatic. I’m not sure her antics benefit the team. Particularly in a close game. But, if the kids feed off that “energy’”, so be it. Good luck to Cookeville the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

I didn't receive it that way, that's what happens here- we share opinions! 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, oldschoolhoops said:

Coffee had a squeaker with Tullahoma and let Warren and Lincoln hang around too much. I'm hoping once they are back home Friday night they will settle in from the Holidays and start rolling again like usual. I agree with your predictions OEE.

Coffee/Franklin should be a good one and for first place in the district too. 

Edited by BigOrangeBaller
  • Like 1

CC breezed past FC tonight. It was competitive briefly in the 2nd qtr. I was a little surprised. I thought FC would play a little better. Morgan distributed the ball as well as I’ve seen her do it this year. CC got a lot of easy baskets off Abby driving and dishing. It didn’t show in points column but she played fantastic. Vinson and Vaughn combined for 32 and Graham and Garretson both had good nights offensively. Jenna had 13. Maybe her career high. With Shelbyville coming up Tuesday, we will be at the half way point of district play. CC looks like the class of the field as expected. 

Edited by PEARLBALL