8-AAA

OldEagleEye

CC shot around 20% from the floor against Tullahoma. That’s unlikely to happen again. Vinson is very special and they have two seniors that can put up big numbers on offense. The offense can quickly come and unfortunately go as well. Not a lot of imagination in the offense either. When shots fall they are very dangerous. But when they aren’t, the lack of movement and in game adjustments are lacking. Everything goes thru Vinson as it should, but that’s a lot of burden to put on a Sophmore no matter how talented she is. And yes, you don’t call that foul in the district championship, but CC should have never put their fate in the officials hand. Easily their worst performance of the year. I’ve seen a team that could beat most anyone at times. They beat East Hamilton in a Saturday play day, two days before the season started. They went toe to toe with one of the better teams in FL over Christmas. That team has 2 D1 seniors and the 2nd ranked freshman in the country.   Other times, I have thought we couldn’t beat Columbia. Which team comes Friday, I have no idea. Talent won 20 something games. Talent, coaching, and execution will have to take them forward. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure u call robbery in championship game.  She was 3 steps inside half court.  If she couldn’t make it coffee should not have been close to her.  She was definitely fouled. I do believe coffee is the best team but the best doesn’t always win. The game was chess match and coffee should have sped game up.    Coffee and Tullahoma can both win first game cats have already beaten Oakland and that was before Ferrell was eligible.   Both teams will struggle in semis  hope they both can win

Congrats to the Lady Raiders, only the 3rd region win in the last 8 years for 8-AAA. I know we won one 3 years ago and Lawrence County won 1, other than that its been all 7-AAA. Great season ladies and congrats on the undefeated regular season and back to back district titles. Hopefully we will be back in the region next year. First time in 42 years that Shelbyville did not make region.

3 hours ago, OldEagleEye said:

Congrats to the Lady Raiders, only the 3rd region win in the last 8 years for 8-AAA. I know we won one 3 years ago and Lawrence County won 1, other than that its been all 7-AAA. Great season ladies and congrats on the undefeated regular season and back to back district titles. Hopefully we will be back in the region next year. First time in 42 years that Shelbyville did not make region.

Thanks O. I’m old enough to remember and witnessed the Eaglettes dominance. Still in awe to enter that gym and see all of the gold balls on display. Only as I grow older do I truly appreciate what Coach Insell did over there. Some questioned the methods, but the results were astounding. I remember a typical, middle of the season game being played to a packed house. The support for those teams was tremendous. Sad to see the away team bringing in more fans to Shelbyville than the home team does on some occasions. Good luck to you next year provided they aren’t playing my Lady Raiders. 

Hats off on your performance against Riverdale, I wasn't able to go but I listened to it on the Murfreesboro station. If you guys had shot it better the first half it could have been a shocker. You cut it to 4 late and had a 3 to cut it to 1. Great, Great, season, you have a class act program and I wish you nothing but the best.

We couldn't buy one in the first half. We had no answer for their post player either. Still, it was a game we could have won.  CC should have never let it get to that point, but its hard not to think back to the district championship. If the officials let the teams decide the outcome, CC is most likely playing in the sectional Saturday. Even so, we were good enough to overcome that, but the ball didn't bounce our way. This was a special group of girls. They loved each other, played hard for each other, and never quit. Last year they would have backed down after Riverdale got up double digits. This year, they fought hard and got back in it. VERY proud of this team.

It will be hard to replace the seniors, but CC will be in the mix next year. Vinson is a player you can build around. Tullahoma, Shelbyville, and Lincoln County will all be better. It should be a very competitive and entertaining district season next year. I'm ready to get going today. lol.

Bella finished the game with 15, but she worked hard for it. The 3 wasn’t falling for her and Riverdale played her tough in the paint. The team as a whole had some good looks from behind the arc, but they were going in and out - particularly in the first half. Vaughn hit 4 threes, but also had 2 or 3 good looks that she would like to have back I’m sure. They took away the drive and held Morgan in check. Riverdale’s quickness really hurt CC in transition. They probably got 8-10 points on breakaway layups. The big post had her way down low in the first half too. 

CC dug themselves a big hole, scratched and clawed their way back, but Riverdale made enough plays at the end to snuff out the comeback. No complaints here. They gave all they had. I felt like one of the best efforts of the year on the defensive end. The offense looked good too. They handled the press and limited the turnovers. The shots just wouldn’t fall. 

I thought CC would push Riverdale and I thought that they would have to get some points from someone other that Morgan and Vinson. Glad they played a good game.  They definitely deserved a chance in the sectional after the season they had.  They just played bad at the wrong time and that district loss hurt.  This is a perfect example to teams to never let the game come down to one shot.  Everything you have worked so hard for all season can be taken away with one blow of a whistle.  

I knew when we played them that they were a very good team.  I hate they didn’t get a shot at the State tourney without having to go through Riverdale but they had a great season.  Hope we play them again next year!  Those were two great games.  

PearlBall was pretty spot on in his analysis of the game.  Riverdale hit everything in the first half and Coffee missed several open looks both inside and at three point line.  Actually outscored Riverdale in second half and we're very much in game late.  Played them closer than any other team in Tennessee has all season and probably will the rest.  Proud of the Lady Raiders.  As far as next year the Seniors will for sure be missed as they all three were good players and teammates.  But that said the cupboard is far from bare. Three starters return and several bench players that contributed at times this season.  Team will have more size and an inside duo of Vinson and Ferrell at times will provide a matchup problem for many for sure.  Don't look for a drop off in play as others will stepup.