8-AAA

OldEagleEye

On 2/14/2020 at 8:13 PM, UCSportsFan said:

Has Coffee County started erecting the statue of Coach Cope yet?  Heard they had a board meeting on it awhile back. 

I assume that was some attempt at comedy with a dose of sarcasm. No statues that I am aware of, but he has done a good job at CC. No one will argue that he has been blessed with some talented players and a solid group to work with. That said, no one works harder to promote his program than JPC. The gym is full most nights and that hadn’t  been the case before his arrival. Credit him for restoring some excitement and enthusiasm to the girls basketball program. Admittedly, 8AAA is not as strong as it once was, but with the exception of one upset last year, CC has dominated the district since his arrival. He has attempted to schedule tougher teams to better prepare them for play beyond the district tournament and we will see how things go over the next few weeks. 

Not girls related, but the CC boys clinched the regular season championship as well on Monday night. Coach Micah Williams has also been a blessing to CC basketball. After losing the 2019 district POY to graduation, the boys team has also not disappointed this season. CC is blessed right now with both teams playing at a championship level. Good luck to both heading into tournament play. 

8 hours ago, PEARLBALL said:

I assume that was some attempt at comedy with a dose of sarcasm. No statues that I am aware of, but he has done a good job at CC. No one will argue that he has been blessed with some talented players and a solid group to work with. That said, no one works harder to promote his program than JPC. The gym is full most nights and that hadn’t  been the case before his arrival. Credit him for restoring some excitement and enthusiasm to the girls basketball program. Admittedly, 8AAA is not as strong as it once was, but with the exception of one upset last year, CC has dominated the district since his arrival. He has attempted to schedule tougher teams to better prepare them for play beyond the district tournament and we will see how things go over the next few weeks. 

Not girls related, but the CC boys clinched the regular season championship as well on Monday night. Coach Micah Williams has also been a blessing to CC basketball. After losing the 2019 district POY to graduation, the boys team has also not disappointed this season. CC is blessed right now with both teams playing at a championship level. Good luck to both heading into tournament play. 

JPC is a close friend and I joke around a lot with him and about him as we all do with each other.  But the bottom line, in all seriousness, the guy can coach. He has proven that time again, taking programs at places no one could win at and has won time and again. CC is lucky to have him and yes he has some very good players and he would be the first to say that!  He always talks about how good his players are and about how hard they play for him. I asked him a while back how he was able to turn around the program at Coffee County so quickly and he gave the girls all the credit. He talked about almost each one individually then how they played as a team. Never said a word about himself but we all know he has a great deal to do with it.  I’m pulling for CC and my buddy to make it to the glass house this year. No easy task for sure but hopefully they will get over the hump and get there!  

Lincoln County was definitely a head scratcher this year. I’m know there are things that happen behind the scenes that affect teams from year to year, but I think most would agree the season was a big disappointment for them. Tullahoma too for that matter. On paper, both should have been better this year vs last. Tullahoma still has a chance. Maybe a very small one, but this time of the year that’s all you want.