New club team

TeeterTot

For clubs that participate in USA Volleyball, the Southern Region (SRVA) does not allow tryouts until after the state championships which does cause some conflicts but has always been that way and club volleyball does involve some commitment level and sacrifices.

https://srva.org/WCS/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/JUNIOR-TRYOUT-8-6-18.pdf

There are 11 courts at the building.

If clubs are not part of USA Volleyball then they do not have to follow the rules that the majority of clubs follow in the Southern Region.

Alliance South is still operating with a new director. 

As for the tournaments being selected to play in I think it is all what you are looking for as a family or player. If you want to play the same teams over and over and, in some cases, not be challenged then you can choose to not travel as much. If you are a talented player you will want to play on a larger stage against top national level competition then you will choose a team that offers those opportunities. High school age players who want to further their playing careers will want to play where they get the most exposure to college recruiters. The lack of quality tournaments is what I have heard frustrated many families who made the move last year to TPV. They want to play more quality tournaments  not less.

Players will always move but the grass isn't always greener especially if they are chasing a "1" team. Imagine if several players move from one club to another, that "3" team level player searching for a "1" team spot might still be on a "3" team if more talented kids move with them. Be careful what you wish for. My advice is to know who the coaches are before making a decision. There are coaches who coach a "3" team that will offer better training than a "1" coach elsewhere. Do the research and then make a decision.

Just an opinion of an old volleyball dad that has been through this for 8-9 years.

Good luck.

Edited by VBDad615
  • Like 1

Thanks VBDad615, very good insights. I appreciate it!
I really like that link you sent about the SRVA as that helps as well. 

It really helps for me to read the main SRVA page.

https://srva.org/WCS/

TRYOUT/COMMITMENT DATES FOR THE 2018 – 2019 SEASON

• For ages 14 and below (ALL STATES) First day of tryouts Saturday 10/13/18. Commitment Day is  10/18/18.
  • For ages 15 and above;
    • Alabama –  First day of tryouts 11/02/18. Commitment Day is 11/07/18.
    • Georgia – First day of tryouts 11/04/18. Commitment Day is 11/09/18.
    • Tennessee – First day of tryouts 10/20/18. Commitment Day is 10/25/18.

Edited by mama2two

But there was an important point VBDad615 made, and because he was subtle about it, I won't be: those rules only pertain to clubs who abide by USA Volleyball rules (and their Regional Presence, SRVA).

Because the Sports Performance club director was banned for life from USA Volleyball, they do not register with USA Volleyball. Neither, therefore, does TPV. They could try out tomorrow if they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Alliance will follow they SRVA rules just like they have in year’s past. The dates of TPV’s tryouts clearly shows they are jumping out in front of clubs following the SRVA Region rules.  This is nothing but a play on the fears of those families not in the know of the rules. Just like last year families will unknowingly commit too soon and make calls to other clubs to see if it can change. Be careful jumping too soon!

Once again, do what’s best for your family but do your homework before committing.

Who will actually be your coach?

How many tournaments will we play?

Which team is my kid actually on?

Good luck!

That's good news Teeter Tot. Funny I was on putting what I found on too. 
Looks like Alliance and MidTN both follow USAV.   Best I can tell TPV and Ethos follow JVA.

I do appreciate you guys helping. :) My daughter has done a skills clinic at each place to test the waters. I will take your feedback into consideration and am waiting on the list of tournaments and pricing. I do like that Alliance posted their coach list already as I have heard some didn't like having HS coaches for the younger girls at TPV last season. They did like the master coaching though. I have heard pros and cons from each club's parents just in talking on the sidelines. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Here’s another tidbit to add to your decision making for clubs. Rumor on the street is that TPV owes Nashville Sporting Goods, now BSN Sports, approximately $170,000 for player and coaches apparel, lawsuit is forthcoming.

From my understanding, somebody in Chicago (I can only guess who it is) has taken care of this year’s apparel. 

Once again, ask questions and make the decision best for your family. Where’s the smoke there is usually fire, and with this Cat it is typically a massive blaze!

Good luck!