New club team

TeeterTot

Agreed. Dan did what he had to do.

TT made an important point earlier... spotlight is on him now, and it is bright. He has more to work with than anyone, at least at the 16's and 18's.  Forget K2 and  Alliance... he needs to post consistent results against teams like KIVA and Munciana, since, after all, those kids beat those teams when they were wearing Alliance jerseys.

12 hours ago, Apostle said:

True - TPV should have good 18's and 16's teams this coming season.

Hopefully, each team will earn a solid reputation through opportunities against:

A5 (main & South campus teams)

Circle City (Purple)

K2

KIVA (Red & White)

Milwaukee Sting

Munciana

and other MEPL teams.

Last year's Alliance 17/18's and 15's teams likely did not own a .500 or better record against the group named above so TPV will have to earn the lofty praise.

Time for big girl volleyball

19 hours ago, Apostle said:

Hopefully, each team will earn a solid reputation through opportunities against:

A5 (main & South campus teams)

Friends in Atlanta tell me A5 is is going to have a transition year. One of their top coaches, she'd coached their 14-1 teams forever,  left to form her own club. A5 probably won't be what it once was, but will still be plenty good.

https://www.tkvball.com/coaches

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 4:07 PM, Osage said:

Friends in Atlanta tell me A5 is is going to have a transition year. One of their top coaches, she'd coached their 14-1 teams forever,  left to form her own club. A5 probably won't be what it once was, but will still be plenty good.

https://www.tkvball.com/coaches

Interesting to keep an eye on.  New clubs popping up everywhere.  Atlanta has enough talent to allow two big times clubs compete at the national level.  I'm not sure Nashville does.

10 hours ago, Apostle said:

Teeter Tot and Osage, I agree with what you said in general about A5 and the Atlanta area.

Regarding national competitiveness, what measures would be most fair to use?

1) finish within the top 100 in the final season AES rankings?

2) AAU/USAV national tournament finishes? or

3) other measurements?

Historically, A5 has 2 or more teams at several age groups that end a season AES ranked within the top 100 nationally.

Often, K2 and Alliance will have one team in 2 or more age groups that break into the top 100.  

One contributor felt TPV might now have enough talent at the 14's, 16's and/or 18's to have a top team in TN.  Maybe, maybe not just yet.  

TPV may not have a team that can finish in the top 100 in the end of season AES national rankings yet.

Maybe this is a different thread altogether?

To me, being in the gold medal brackets on Sundays and some top 5, maybe top 10 finishes in National tournaments is the "National" goal.  

TPV is still behind in every age group except for the 16's.  The influx of new players at that age group has elevated that team beyond anything TPV had last year.  This years TPV 16 is the first TPV team that could beat their counterparts at Alliance.  

I don't think AES is very useful for this kind of thing. It's math-based only, which means it over-ranks teams who beat everyone they play, but don't play anyone relevant, and punishes teams that schedule tough but lose from time to time.

Sorta like TT, I think it is all about finishes. Gold bracket finishes in larger tournaments like Bluegrass, Triple Crown, Qualifiers, and Nationals. And maybe some wins here and there against teams that have those kinds of finishes.

I think PrepVolleyball does a good job with their rankings, so top 50 in their list is probably about the cutoff line for me.

6 minutes ago, Apostle said:

AES has value but Prep Volleyball tends to be accurate when seeding teams in top-level tournaments

Consistent GOLD medal bracket participation tends to sort out the top 25 or so teams over time. 

In 3 and 4 day tournaments, a team can lose several matches yet win the "right" matches at the "right" time, finish with a near .500 tournament record and still win a key match to back-in to the GOLD bracket

For the upcoming Club season and with middle TN player movement in mind, the following is simply one person's wild guess about what will happen when "local" and "state-wide" teams tangle

13's - Mid TN, K2 and Alliance will all field very good teams 

14's - K2 has a good team at this age group.  TPV and Alliance will offer competitive groups as well (I think TPV 13's beat an Alliance 13's team last year)

15's - Memphis VBA may be the best; K2 and Alliance are good

16's - K2 is tops; then TPV (holding an offensive edge over Alliance), then Alliance (with a "ball control" advantage over TPV)

17's - Alliance hands down

18's - Alliance, then TPV

Any differing opinions will be appreciated - thanks

13's - Nobody in the state can touch Alliance's 13's.  This team has won several regional tournaments the past couple years and finished 3rd twice last year in large National tournaments.  They even won Bluegrass as 11's

14's K2, no competition.  TPV just does not have hitters at this age

15's - Agree with Memphis VBA with K2 a very close 2nd.  Be interesting to see how Alliance does this year.  Their top player moved to TPV and plays on the TPV 16's

16's - TPV will give K2 a serious run here.  I disagree with Alliance having a ball control advantage over TPV.  Alliance lost to TPV their best hitter, defensive player (Both these girls will play in college power conferences), both setters from their 1 team last year are no longer in the program (the 6'4 setter went to TPV and their 2nd setter decided not to play this year).  

17's - Alliance

18's - Alliance

14 hours ago, VBDad615 said:

I believe 6 are from Alliance, here is what I have heard for the 16-1.

OH, MB, RS, Setter, Libero, DS - Alliance (6)

OH -  Mid TN (1)

OH/DS - K2 (1)

MB - Not sure what club last year, Siegel (1)

Havent heard about a possible 10th player.

Thanks for the clarification.

Big training session this weekend in Munciana this weekend for TPV 16's and 18's.  Sunday they scrimmage Munciana's 1 and 2 teams, Munciana out of Indy, KiVA Red, and Far Out.   

On 11/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, TeeterTot said:

13's - Nobody in the state can touch Alliance's 13's.  This team has won several regional tournaments the past couple years and finished 3rd twice last year in large National tournaments.  They even won Bluegrass as 11's

14's K2, no competition.  TPV just does not have hitters at this age

15's - Agree with Memphis VBA with K2 a very close 2nd.  Be interesting to see how Alliance does this year.  Their top player moved to TPV and plays on the TPV 16's

16's - TPV will give K2 a serious run here.  I disagree with Alliance having a ball control advantage over TPV.  Alliance lost to TPV their best hitter, defensive player (Both these girls will play in college power conferences), both setters from their 1 team last year are no longer in the program (the 6'4 setter went to TPV and their 2nd setter decided not to play this year).  

17's - Alliance

18's - Alliance

K2 18s are pretty tough as well. Many D1 commits and several that have been playing on 18s already for 1 or more years.