New club team

TeeterTot

51 minutes ago, clifford20 said:

I do not think TPV 16's should be losing to a 15-2 team with all the talent they have on that team.  That is surprising to me.  I can understand the Munciana loss I guess.  Not saying it's a bad loss, but def surprising.   Am I wrong?   

Both bad losses.  There were a couple players who were off their game during the weekend for sure, especially the loss to Kiva.  They beat the same Kiva team fairly easily in the last game,     

• 1 month later...

I've been traveling a lot for work and haven't been able to post much.  

I have talked to several people about the current travel volleyball environment in middle Tennessee and they are under the same impression as most of us:  TPV will be the "go to club" within in two years, maybe next year.  Parents are not happy with how things are going and have already reached out to TPV about next year.  This years migration of players along with the head to head results have caught the attention of several parents across all age groups who were not open to changing in the past.  Will certainly be interesting to see what happens

3 hours ago, TeeterTot said:

I've been traveling a lot for work and haven't been able to post much.  

I have talked to several people about the current travel volleyball environment in middle Tennessee and they are under the same impression as most of us:  TPV will be the "go to club" within in two years, maybe next year.  Parents are not happy with how things are going and have already reached out to TPV about next year.  This years migration of players along with the head to head results have caught the attention of several parents across all age groups who were not open to changing in the past.  Will certainly be interesting to see what happens

I'm glad we've aged out.  I do agree with the impression though.

2 hours ago, clifford20 said:

interested in knowing what the issues they have been disappointed with?  

Agree with Clifford... watching from a distance, seems like most teams are performing in line with expectations, and I am surprised to hear people disappointed at the halfway mark of the season. The macro view, though, I guess could hide concerns specific families might have regarding playing time, role, etc.

@TT: do I assume correctly that these are Alliance families who will be playing for TPV next year? What do they think will be different when they make the move?

38 minutes ago, Osage said:

Agree with Clifford... watching from a distance, seems like most teams are performing in line with expectations, and I am surprised to hear people disappointed at the halfway mark of the season. The macro view, though, I guess could hide concerns specific families might have regarding playing time, role, etc.

@TT: do I assume correctly that these are Alliance families who will be playing for TPV next year? What do they think will be different when they make the move?

Osage: It is Alliance families but they have mentioned MidTN along with TPV.  Training and politics is the top reasons.  It's not playing time because these players are contributors to their team.  

Ok. I still think that if anyone is so dispirited at this point in the season, it's a matter of expectations not being met. How?

• Somebody (coach, club leadership, teammates, other parents) isn't upholding their end
  • Expectations were unreasonable in the first place
  • Expectations were unspoken or not even really known or understood by those who held them

My point earlier stands... seems to me the first half of the season, on paper, has played out in line with reasonable expectations. People who aren't happy right now may struggle to find what they think they are looking for.

And that would be unfortunate. At the end of the day, it will be best for the sport, and best for the sport's continued growth in the region, for everyone to be where they want to be. As Apostle is subtly pointing out in the other thread, it's arguable we've taken a step back so far this season, relative to national competition. That's a matter of how the top (Open / Premiere) level teams have fared these first few months. But there is an army of kids playing at younger ages and lower competitive levels, probably more than ever before. Those kids are the future of middle TN volleyball. 

That's where the clubs need to step up: they need to assign quality coaches to the younger teams. If I ran a club (I don't, which is probably clear), the top coach would always coach the top 14's team. Coaches with lots of experience, who think a lot of themselves and their abilities...  they shouldn't be spending all their time with the older kids who are already mostly who and what they are going to be as players. That's easy, and it's lazy. They'll make a bigger impact doing the hard work with younger kids. 

I couldn't agree with Osage more.  I honestly don't get the politics part of complaints.  As I have stated so many times before, parents call it "politics" when they have a play time or position issue.    I could be completely naïve to this, but I have been around club/high school volleyball for a long time.  Not saying that a club doesn't make a decision around a relationship occasionally.  if I kid has been playing with a club for 6-7 years and they are pretty even with a brand new kid-- I would 100% give the nod to the family that has invested in that club.  Call that politics or whatever, it's good business.  I think TPV is doing a great job. Not sure their training is much different than Alliance or any other club, but regardless it's 100% a good thing they are here.   I don't like how it all went down, but that's life. 

I agree also with coaching at the youngest ages.  IT HAS TO HAPPEN.   12-14 are critical years.   Alliances best coach in now the director, which hurts.   Alliances 16's are performing actually better than I anticipated and TPV's team is starting to get better.   Alliance 17's are also about where I would expect them to be.  

TPV is pushing alliance to be better--and I think they will be.  Obviously Alliance has pushed TPV, other wise they wouldn't have raided a team that ALLIANCE PARTIALLY DEVELOPED.  Morgan, Shay, Claire, etc are all Alliance kids.   

Ethos has helped middle TN volleyball.  MTN has helped.  They aren't nearly as strong as the others, but they have done good work. 

7 hours ago, Osage said:

That's where the clubs need to step up: they need to assign quality coaches to the younger teams. If I ran a club (I don't, which is probably clear), the top coach would always coach the top 14's team. Coaches with lots of experience, who think a lot of themselves and their abilities...  they shouldn't be spending all their time with the older kids who are already mostly who and what they are going to be as players. That's easy, and it's lazy. They'll make a bigger impact doing the hard work with younger kids. 

I agree 100% and I think this is the first year in a long time that Alliance got it right. Amber is an amazing coach and the way she handles athletes is perfect for this age group. Dan runs that TPV 141s team. He is top notch. It will be interesting to see how this age group progresses over the next for years with the quality coaching they are getting this club season.

17 hours ago, clifford20 said:

I couldn't agree with Osage more.  I honestly don't get the politics part of complaints.  As I have stated so many times before, parents call it "politics" when they have a play time or position issue.    I could be completely naïve to this, but I have been around club/high school volleyball for a long time.  Not saying that a club doesn't make a decision around a relationship occasionally.  if I kid has been playing with a club for 6-7 years and they are pretty even with a brand new kid-- I would 100% give the nod to the family that has invested in that club.  Call that politics or whatever, it's good business.  I think TPV is doing a great job. Not sure their training is much different than Alliance or any other club, but regardless it's 100% a good thing they are here.   I don't like how it all went down, but that's life. 

I agree also with coaching at the youngest ages.  IT HAS TO HAPPEN.   12-14 are critical years.   Alliances best coach in now the director, which hurts.   Alliances 16's are performing actually better than I anticipated and TPV's team is starting to get better.   Alliance 17's are also about where I would expect them to be.  

TPV is pushing alliance to be better--and I think they will be.  Obviously Alliance has pushed TPV, other wise they wouldn't have raided a team that ALLIANCE PARTIALLY DEVELOPED.  Morgan, Shay, Claire, etc are all Alliance kids.   

Ethos has helped middle TN volleyball.  MTN has helped.  They aren't nearly as strong as the others, but they have done good work. 

To be crystal clear, the politics I mention have zero to do with playing time.  ZERO.  TPV did not raid Alliance as you put it. Those girls approached TPV AFTER they talked to Alliance.

If you don't think the training is different, just ask players who have been part of both programs, they'll tell you about the difference in training.

1 hour ago, TeeterTot said:

TPV did not raid Alliance as you put it. Those girls approached TPV AFTER they talked to Alliance.

Really? TPV management did not initiate any conversations? I thought it was pretty clear here in this thread (amongst the 4 or 5 of us) that they had? They may not have initiated contact with you / your player, but it was clear at the time that they were going after targeted Alliance kids, incentivizing them, with the hopes that others would follow.

And it worked.

So what does "politics" even mean?  Seriously, give me an example.   I might just be confused as to what someone calls politics.   I can honestly say in 25 years around sports, I am not sure I have ever actually seen it involved in a decision. 

Seems to me it is always about playing time or position.  It's just called politics by the parent.   

C'mon Teeter.   Unless some parents lied to my face about it--they were contacted and incentivized.  Call it what you want--but they did what they had to do.     

I have asked players involved on both sides of it.....they are enjoying their experience for sure. Alliance needs to step their game up on a couple of things, but it's not that different from what I have been told.  But they were probably just being kind.  (I am not an alliance person btw--just close to a lot of the people)

TPV is doing a very good job.  Make no mistake about it.