New club team

TeeterTot

In answer to the other former Alliance kids I am talking about, they are the 18's kids (I think there were 6 of them?) and, I guess, pretty much the entire 14's team. Those are Open kids, most of whom are future D1 kids, many of them future power conference kids. They should be playing the top teams in the country.

You're making my point for me on last week's 18's. I don't want to take away from Paragon's Apex championship, although I understand it might seem like I am. I am just saying (as you did) that 18 Open was last month. Open (especially National level events like AAU, JNC, Triple Crown, etc.) is a completely different animal from everything else! Last month's event had 5 top 20 teams (AES), including 3 of the top 6. I think TPV was the highest ranked (AES) team (Apex is 184). The Paragon kids are champions, I'd be excited for my kid if she were part of it, but Apex isn't Open. That's all I am saying.

Which doesn't mean every Open team is better than every Premiere team. I don't doubt... actually, let me say it different. I am positive that most of the top 10 teams in 14 Premiere could have finished top half in 14 Open, and many probably could have even made the Championship bracket. Looking at the scores, 14 Zulu was in a different class from most of the teams they played on their way to the Championship bracket.

TT... for reasons I mentioned earlier (most of the Open level kids have left Alliance for TPV), I mostly agree with you regarding where Alliance should be entering their teams. But the two older teams (17s and 18s) clearly belonged.

I rarely comment on these boards but I find this thread to be very interesting.  I especially enjoy the well thought out comments and respect everyone is given. 

Osage's last post is dead on right!  Great job TPV Paragon for their win in Orlando.  YOU CAN ONLY BEAT WHO YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO PLAY!  It was impressive to watch them fight through the gold and beat some quality teams along the way including their own 181 team. With that... the field was only 17 teams deep with no team even close to being considered a top level team in 18's.  In fact, the team Paragon beat in the finals, Alliance 181 had beaten at JVA Worlds 25-8, 25-16; which furthers Osage's comments about Alliance 17's and 18's clearly belonging in Open division.  

As my daughter transitions out, I'll have more of just a passing interest in the TPV/Alliance rivalry.  But, I do know my daughter was treated well at Alliance and I would have no problem recommending them to anyone that asks.  

Please keep this thread alive next season so I can continue to get excellent analysis of both clubs.

TT, you sold yourself short... looks like it was a thrilling day for you guys. Congrats, way to stay alive for that top 10 finish you were hoping for!

That aside, your comment makes me wonder... and it is a question I posed some weeks / months ago... who is left at Alliance that TPV would want? Don't they have everyone?

Separate question: are the Alliance 16 Rens full strength? They are really having a rough time, judging by results. I didn't expect a great result from them, but I expected more than where they'll end up. 

Edited by Osage

16 hours ago, clifford20 said:

Anyone heard of TPV made the gold?  They easily should with that amount of talent. I think they should be a top 4 finish. 

We lost and were dropped to Silver.  Hard fought day but a very tough day.  

Clifford20, if you think day 3 at Nationals in the Gold rounds in 16 Open should be easy, then you've never seen or had a team play against the talent at that level.  On our court and the two next to us was 2 A5 teams (1 is the #1 over all seed), a OTVA team, Sports Performance (#2 overall seed), United, and our TPV girls all playing at the same time.  Yes, we have talent but so does all the other teams.  At one point we had 28 recruiters around our court watching both teams.  

On 6/26/2019 at 9:15 PM, Osage said:

TT, you sold yourself short... looks like it was a thrilling day for you guys. Congrats, way to stay alive for that top 10 finish you were hoping for!

That aside, your comment makes me wonder... and it is a question I posed some weeks / months ago... who is left at Alliance that TPV would want? Don't they have everyone?

Separate question: are the Alliance 16 Rens full strength? They are really having a rough time, judging by results. I didn't expect a great result from them, but I expected more than where they'll end up. 

We missed the goal for top 10 but the girls played pretty well against national talent.

There are players up and down the age groups that are looking at making the move.  I predict 3-4 of the better players on 16 and up teams will move.  I heard MIdTN's best team (13's) are not happy and could move the whole team to TPV.  If that happens, I could see a situation were a couple of the 13 Alliance players moving too.  

I was going to say something along the lines of, "Clifford, you're a real agitator, aren't you?" But you walked it back. Hey, I get where you are coming from. But let me ask you: has that core group (last year's Alliance 15's kids) ever made the gold bracket at AAU? I don't know, honestly asking. If not, a Championship bracket finish should have been the ceiling of expectations here.

I am pretty sure they didn't do that well last year, but between the upgrades from other Alliance teams (last year's 16 1's and 14 1's), plus the Rutherford county kids, plus the upgraded training, I understand why the expectations would have been higher. Maybe next year, with a year one more year of that amazing training, plus the Fall (I understand some of these kids are skipping the high school season), plus the 3 or 4 Alliance defections TT was talking about. Not sure who you boot off of this year's team, but I'm glad that's not my call.

TT, I agree about your point regarding Open, obviously. But now that I harassed Clifford a bit, I am now going to back him (?) up: your team is one of only 2 teams in the entire state of TN (the other being the outgoing K2 18s) who has the physicality to keep up with that top tier of Open teams. (Dunno anything about the younger kids, but they're still developing anyway.) There isn't a single team at Alliance, this year anyway, who can physically keep up with the top teams in the country at their age divisions. Yes, the Alliance 17s and 18s competed at that level anyway, but that's despite their shortcomings. I don't think what they have been doing is repeatable. 

But the attention is on you guys now. Middle TN took a big step backwards competitively this year. So even people outside club volleyball, and outside TPV, we are rooting for you. So we share your disappointment that you didn't have a better finish.

Safe travels home, and we'll see everybody in August.

Or if you're Brentwood, we'll see you in a week or so.

They finished 5th 2 years ago I think-they def made the gold.  I could be wrong. But this group is way way more talented.  I honestly loved this TPV team.  Best LIb, OH and setter in the state. The other OH and RS were so fun to watch.  I just want TN volleyball to show up.  I want all our clubs to be better.  I was too critical earlier.   I really Though they were a top 6 team in this tournament.  I didn’t get to a lot of the alliance teams this year but they are not strong.   The 16 team had maybe 1-2 legit ones players on It.  A very weak team.  I thought the 15s had a chance to be better.  Overall. I feel the alliance teams finished where they should.  They are average at best skill wise.