New club team

TeeterTot

Interesting convo. My daughter plays at K2, her team (13-1’s) finished 10th in Open. We’ve always been told K2 only enters their 1’s teams in Open level, regardless of finish, as this is where they will get exposure, and throughout the year get better. And I would agree. It was interesting seeing teams that beat us during the season enter Premier for Nationals, I don’t get it. I know it doesn’t matter as much when they are younger, however you just aren’t going to get the exposure as they get older in the lower divisions, or as one coach called them the “plastic divisions”.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:34 PM, clifford20 said:

They finished 5th 2 years ago I think-they def made the gold.  I could be wrong. But this group is way way more talented.  I honestly loved this TPV team.  Best LIb, OH and setter in the state. The other OH and RS were so fun to watch.  I just want TN volleyball to show up.  I want all our clubs to be better.  I was too critical earlier.   I really Though they were a top 6 team in this tournament.  I didn’t get to a lot of the alliance teams this year but they are not strong.   The 16 team had maybe 1-2 legit ones players on It.  A very weak team.  I thought the 15s had a chance to be better.  Overall. I feel the alliance teams finished where they should.  They are average at best skill wise.  

Their chemistry will be different next season since Morgan just relocated to Texas.  She will be hard to replace.

Alliance got a lot of work to do if they want to compete in Open in any age group.  

Looking ahead to next year... I think K2 returns enough off its 18 Jota team to have some open success.  I wouldn't ever rule out the rising seniors at Alliance. TPV's rising 17's and 15's kids should play Open and beat some good teams. 

That's about it, best as I can tell. Nothing in Memphis, and I don't have enough visibility into the younger K2 teams to offer a guess there. 

TT - do you have any insight as to whether you guys will play 17's or 18's next year? SPRI's model is to have their kids skip 17's, and compete for 2 years as 18's. Wondering if you will do the same?

From what I've heard third hand and directly about rising TPV teams for next the year:

14's - This past year 13's were very weak.  Rumor is the super strong MIdTN team (ranked in top 10 at some points this year) are moving the majority of their team to TPV.  If this happens, that age group becomes a top 2-3 age group for TPV once you mix in a couple existing TPV players in this age.

15's - Solid team but still has work to do.  They've made huge strides but need a couple more athletes to really compete in large "open" tournaments.

16's - The right side from this years 16's will play 16 again so that's a solid start.  The L and S played with this years 16's in spot service so they have experience playing 16 Open.  Rumor is a couple of the better players from Alliance are considering making the move so that will make that team better.

17's -18's - The majority of this years 16's will move up to 18's like you said with a couple Alliance players moving to solidify the 17's and 18's.  

Good stuff, TT, and that aligns with expectations, mostly. But that 15's / rising 16's group... I just looked how they did at AAU, and they finished 119th out of 151 in club. It doesn't make sense to me that one or more 2022's off this year's 16's group would join them, that's a major step backwards competitively for that / those kid(s).

Or am I missing something?

32 minutes ago, Osage said:

Good stuff, TT, and that aligns with expectations, mostly. But that 15's / rising 16's group... I just looked how they did at AAU, and they finished 119th out of 151 in club. It doesn't make sense to me that one or more 2022's off this year's 16's group would join them, that's a major step backwards competitively for that / those kid(s).

Or am I missing something?

I can see where you're coming from but 16's are to important of a year for exposure to skip.  Keep in mind, the three best 2022's (RS, S, & L) were on that team so they have a good start.  Then there's a chance they could see some new bodies move back to Gothic Court.

• 2 weeks later...

I like your style Apostle.   The 14’s team backed into the gold, didn’t have a winning match/set record but should have finished 3rd and The core group was the mental toughness, winning mindset and leadership that 16’s lacked?  This is such a ridiculous take.  Yet they didn’t have that while at Alliance according to your comments?   This was strictly and only about the ability to play the game of volleyball.  You took the best OH and Setter in the state-kudos to TPV.  You worked at it, and got them. You deserve that credit. The other “core group” (not the Lib) was just pieces.  You put the OH and Setter back on that 16 alliance team and I’ll bet they could have found a way to finish...what was it? 20th? You didn’t take the mental toughness or leadership from the 15’s team   You took the best talent   

This argument is tired and will be the last time I comment on it. I hope TPV and Alliance excel.   I hope both clubs improve. I hope Alliances leadership pulls their head out of the sand. I’ve said some things on here that I regret, but to act like TPV is superior is tired.    

THEY ARE DOING A GOOD JOB, just like Alliance has/had for many many years  

Hi, Apostle. If I understand your point correctly, I take away that this team finished in line with previous years. Adding the MVP libero, the K2 kid, and the Rutherford County kids, plus upgraded training from the Sports Performance model would have made your expectations higher, right?

TT has made that point that you're going to not only keep that group intact for next year, but also see additional defections of 3 or 4 kids from Alliance top teams, which is very close to the # of kids you felt were worthwhile on the Alliance team. Maybe next year this group will break through.

• Like 1