New club team

TeeterTot

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, clifford20 said:

I like your style Apostle.   The 14’s team backed into the gold, didn’t have a winning match/set record but should have finished 3rd and The core group was the mental toughness, winning mindset and leadership that 16’s lacked?  This is such a ridiculous take.  Yet they didn’t have that while at Alliance according to your comments?   This was strictly and only about the ability to play the game of volleyball.  You took the best OH and Setter in the state-kudos to TPV.  You worked at it, and got them. You deserve that credit. The other “core group” (not the Lib) was just pieces.  You put the OH and Setter back on that 16 alliance team and I’ll bet they could have found a way to finish...what was it? 20th? You didn’t take the mental toughness or leadership from the 15’s team   You took the best talent   

This argument is tired and will be the last time I comment on it. I hope TPV and Alliance excel.   I hope both clubs improve. I hope Alliances leadership pulls their head out of the sand. I’ve said some things on here that I regret, but to act like TPV is superior is tired.    

THEY ARE DOING A GOOD JOB, just like Alliance has/had for many many years  

Clifford, “backed in” is your term.  I was surprised to learn the match and set record for that group.  Top 2 or Top 3 daily pool play finishes are required to reach the Gold bracket.  That 2017 Alliance 14 Mizuno tam played well early on and very good on Day 3 advancing to the eight team Gold bracket. 

That first GOLD bracket match led to a couple kids wilting from the pressure.  The first match loss remains the biggest match some have ever played in.  As Alliance and that age group knows, those opportunities don’t come along every year.

Since that moment, several of those core kids have moved on to play in “big stage” Club matches (AAU National Championships) as well as advanced through to win TSSAA state tournaments more than once. 

The game slows down allowing them to excel in pressure situations and their mental toughness and leadership continues to help their teams win.  So yes, I’ll stand behind my comments those kids played a modest and important role in Alliance’ ag group successes from 11U through 15U. 

As Osage has said more than once, some kids and parents are just glad to be on a “1’ team.  For others, they want to excel at a high level for their team and themselves – there is a difference between the two perspectives and that should be what college coaches discern between when they recruit.    

Yes Clifford, you could put the TPV Alpha Setter and OH on this year’s Alliance team and they would have won more matches but never finished 20th.  This year’s serve-receive difficulties that you pointed out early on and 1.5 to 1.7 passing statistics would have been greatly bolstered by the two top defensive players that changed Clubs.

While you and Osage coined the “core group” phrase w/o naming who they were (presumably you were taking a shot at those kids and their families for evaluating their experiences and deciding to change clubs – the acrimony is undeserved but year 1 at TPV seemed to work out pretty well for all those kids – good for them. 

What’s strange is the hypocrisy - Alliance has benefitted from decent size groups coming over from other Clubs in the past and has often reached out to other Club players – getting some and not others.

So, if it chafes you that players left and succeeded, Gold Bond can help with the irritation.

16 hours ago, Osage said:

Hi, Apostle. If I understand your point correctly, I take away that this team finished in line with previous years. Adding the MVP libero, the K2 kid, and the Rutherford County kids, plus upgraded training from the Sports Performance model would have made your expectations higher, right?

TT has made that point that you're going to not only keep that group intact for next year, but also see additional defections of 3 or 4 kids from Alliance top teams, which is very close to the # of kids you felt were worthwhile on the Alliance team. Maybe next year this group will break through.

Osage, you asked… “has that core group (last year’s Alliance 15’s kids) ever made the gold bracket at AAU? …  AES archives confirmed Clifford’s memory that they had as 14’s. 

I can’t answer your other question - no two years (or teams in this case) can be fairly compared.  IMO, I would offer that this year’s 16U competition was stiffer than the 14U competition was in 2017.

I felt Alliance 16 REN received a very tough 1st day draw this year.  They went 0-3 Day 1 but 15-20 teams would have been 1-2 or 0-3 playing the teams they played. Seeding the tournament for mid-level teams would be a tough undertaking. 

TPV Alpha received a #16 seed and finished #20 (or within “shouting distance” of their original seed to borrow from your past opinions).

Clifford even stated … this group (TPV 16 Alpha) is way more talented (than Alliance 16 REN) ...

I really could not fairly set expectations for the TPV 16 Alpha team.  here is always a key match (maybe 2) in every tournament that a team must win to achieve a high finish.  The Day 3, (2nd match) was just such a match.  Those matches also tell you what you need to upgrade to win that match in the future.  

Lastly, regarding TT comments, next year’s TPV 18 Alpha team will likely have 3 new players (replacing the LIB and RS) and 1 or 2 positions, that can be upgraded. I’m sure their Coach and Club Director knows the areas which need improvement. 

TT’s past information about players that may possibly change Clubs has certainly been more right than wrong.  I don’t know TT and have no idea who he believes could change Clubs – I presumed he was talking about rising 17’s and 18’s and not just rising 17’s.  There would be no correlation between who I thought were legitimate “1” level players on this past season’s16 REN group and who he believes may consider TPV as a playing option.

Clearly, TPV 16 Alpha was the best 16U team in Tennessee last season   I’m not sure about   your  “breaking through” comment but do think they can transition to 18U ball with several upgrades.  All that said, the Alliance folks have bigger “fish to fry” within their own Club if Clifford hopes that Alliance's leadership pulls their head “out of the sand”.  I see Alliance having two 18’s teams next year with rising 17’s and 18’s spread out on each team – they have to change something or they will have 1 good 18 REN team, an average 18 MOLTEN team and average 17 REN team.  Just my opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Teeter - the rise/fall of TPV and fall/rise of Alliance over the past 3-4 years are intertwined.  With all the COVID-19 considerations, I expect folks really want to have some normalcy and see their kids play a little middle school and high school ball and will approach Club ball in due time.  Both Clubs received Federal Govt PPP money due to a shortened season and inability to host fundraising tournaments.  While the issues clearly run deeper than just the virus, the two Clubs have distinct differences and loyal followings.  The "back and forth" volleying of the hard-court lease at the best facility in middle TN comes with challenges but Alliance has a solid and strong financial partner with the f/k/a Upward Stars basketball program to rely on if further trouble having a Club season and tournaments presents itself.  2020 has been a mess thus far - let's hope the last part of the year is better than the first 8 months have been.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ownceili said:

Any info on what’s going on?

TPV did not pay rent for months so were evicted from "AGame".  TPV will be in the Field House this year.  The "plan" is to build a new facility all the way down in Eagleville.  Every player and parent were notified via email weeks ago, everyone was shocked because this came out of nowhere.  In the email, the parents were told "not to be petty" about this mess.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:15 AM, TeeterTot2 said:

TPV did not pay rent for months so were evicted from "AGame".  TPV will be in the Field House this year.  The "plan" is to build a new facility all the way down in Eagleville.  Every player and parent were notified via email weeks ago, everyone was shocked because this came out of nowhere.  In the email, the parents were told "not to be petty" about this mess.

Wow, that's crazy. Why did Field House take them on if they can't pay rent at one, I wonder how they think they can take it on at another facility?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 11:30 PM, ownceili said:

So then it seems like it’s all sorted? They’re both swapping back to where they were previously, and maybe TPV is building something somewhere. 

What does that mean for the players other than changing geography? I guess I don’t understand the “crap show” part?

TPV allegedly not paying rent and being evicted and then playing it off to their players and families like its no big deal is what I took that comment to be...