New club team

TeeterTot

Alliance 16's (15's from last year) didn't lose their best defensive player.  she is back and should be their libero again this year--she will be a power conference libero.  Morgan was playing up and is about the same level as her--they are both very skilled. Alliance did lose one of their DS however (I forget her name, she goes to Ravenwood I think),  and I have heard she is playing 18-2.  I could be wrong about that.  16's will be as good as they were last year defensively IMO.   The interesting thing about that team last year is that they didn't perform all that good really.  I don't think they beat very many, if any, high quality teams.  Their two setters (from last year) were a liability defensively.  I think the new Setter for alliance this year is better defensively then both of last years, and def better then the #2 setter.  There is no replacing Claire's block/setting for sure.  Losing Shay and Claire is the only really hard loss.  THe big question this year for the 16s alliance team is can their OHs serve receive.  The K2 team is good for sure.  I look forward to seeing them play.  They have a very good setter.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, Apostle said:

TT - would you report on this thread about the TPV 16's team and 18's teams from their play at the upcoming training with Munciana - is that this coming weekend or the following weekend?  

I didn't get to see much of the 18's due to the schedule.  The 16's took it to KiVA Red in the first match. KiVA's first 7 shots where cleanly blocked, several more blocks after that......completely changed how KiVA played.  Muciana 16's were next and they are good.  They beat TPV but it wasn't by much.  TPV was exchanging blows but Munciana was a better team.  Last game was against Far Out from Grand Rapids and TPV handled them like they did KiVA.  

The Saturday training was ran by the Munciana coach and I've never seen training like it.  90 minutes of up tempo, hard practice, sit for 90 minutes, then do it again and again.  Was supposed to replicate tournament play where you play then sit then play.   

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, clifford20 said:

Alliance 16's (15's from last year) didn't lose their best defensive player.  she is back and should be their libero again this year--she will be a power conference libero.  Morgan was playing up and is about the same level as her--they are both very skilled. Alliance did lose one of their DS however (I forget her name, she goes to Ravenwood I think),  and I have heard she is playing 18-2.  I could be wrong about that.  16's will be as good as they were last year defensively IMO.   The interesting thing about that team last year is that they didn't perform all that good really.  I don't think they beat very many, if any, high quality teams.  Their two setters (from last year) were a liability defensively.  I think the new Setter for alliance this year is better defensively then both of last years, and def better then the #2 setter.  There is no replacing Claire's block/setting for sure.  Losing Shay and Claire is the only really hard loss.  THe big question this year for the 16s alliance team is can their OHs serve receive.  The K2 team is good for sure.  I look forward to seeing them play.  They have a very good setter.

"The interesting thing about that team last year is that they didn't perform all that good really.  I don't think they beat very many, if any, high quality teams"

I talked with parents who thought that, in the past several seasons, the team responded to and performed best when their Coach worked hard at putting players in the best position for success and sincerely enjoyed watching the kids' succeed.  The team tended to underperform their ability when their Coach did not care about on-court success and lost interest in them when the team did not play well. "Coaching personality" seemed to really matter to this group. 

Regarding your negative comments and comparisons about certain players, parents disagreed with your opinions.

Apostle, so you are saying it was the coaches fault that the 15's last year underperformed?  And that the coaches last year and before didn't care about results, didn't put kids in a position of success, and didn't enjoy seeing them succeed?    I also didn't indicate anything negative about the players.   While I agree the coaching change last year was disruptive I don't agree that the coaches didn't care about those things.  Athletes have to perform.   It's a ridiculous statement that a coach didn't want success for the team.  I am always amazed when I hear parents break down a season, they literally have no idea what they are talking about 90% of the time.  Have no idea why sub is being made and no idea why a rotation is set for any particular match.  I heard a parent complaining about their child not playing OH the other day...they were talking about how great of a hitter their kid was.  Problem was that kid could not serve receive at all.  and also could not cover a opposite tip/cut if they had to.    That's why she is a middle and not an OH.  She looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about.  So spare me on what parents thought about a coaches intentions.  ALL those 2 coaches wanted last year was success for the kids. 

Also--Thenoise, your statement was inaccurate.  TPV didn't go 5-0 against Alliance.  I have no idea what the record was, but I know that TPV did lose at least one match to an Alliance team.  It was a "2" team if I remember correctly. 

On a positive note, I thought that the TPV teams looked really good.  Can't tell you how happy it makes me that we have another really good club in the area.  it is going to help our level of play so much.

I thought the 16's TPV team looked really good, especially on the PIN.  The middles are just ok.  It's going to exciting to see how they perform.  I also thought the 16's alliance team looked decent.  Honestly, better than I anticipated.  Don't get me wrong, they aren't great.  Their setting, one of the middles and the Libero looked good.  The PINS were really inconsistent and the OHs better figure Serve Rec out...that is what killed them against TPV.   

Actually, we were both wrong. Alliance teams played TPV teams 6 times Saturday and 5 times Sunday. Saturday they went 0-6, Sunday they bounced back and went 3-2 head to head. Results are below taken from AES, exciting to finally see the two clubs play after the last year and a half of talk and back and forth. The game in middle TN is better for it. 

Saturday

13 Airborne lost to TPV-13 Yankee 25-11, 25-21

14 Molten lost to TPV-14 Yankee 25-12, 25-17

14 Premier lost to TPV-14 Foxtrot 25-21, 25-20

15 Airborne lost to TPV-15 Alpha 25-7, 25-9

15 Premier lost to TPV-15 Liberty 25-12, 25-14

16 Molten lost to TPV-16 Liberty 21-25, 25-21, 15-9

Sunday

13 REN won vs TPV 13-Zulu 25-11, 25-18

13 Molten won vs TPV 13-Yankee 25-22, 15-25, 17-15

14 Molten lost to TPV 14-Zulu 25-12, 25-19

16 REN lost to TPV 16-Alpha 25-16, 25-18

16 REN won vs TPV 16-Liberty 25-22, 23-25, 15-10

Caught a little of the 16's on Saturday... I think the Blackman kid is a big a get for that 16 Alpha team as any of the Alliance kids. That group has a chance to be nationally competitive.

I think TPV has done a disservice to the 18's kids, though. The Paragon team is a complete team, all the pieces are there. The Bravo team has some injury issues, I realize... but I'm not sure when they get to full strength that they can be much better than they are. First contact issues (service receive and floor defense) over the course of the season might keep them from being as competitive as the second team. I know TPV likes to move kids around, so maybe they will make some adjustments.

2 hours ago, Osage said:

Caught a little of the 16's on Saturday... I think the Blackman kid is a big a get for that 16 Alpha team as any of the Alliance kids. That group has a chance to be nationally competitive.

I think TPV has done a disservice to the 18's kids, though. The Paragon team is a complete team, all the pieces are there. The Bravo team has some injury issues, I realize... but I'm not sure when they get to full strength that they can be much better than they are. First contact issues (service receive and floor defense) over the course of the season might keep them from being as competitive as the second team. I know TPV likes to move kids around, so maybe they will make some adjustments.

The TPV 16 Alpha absolutely has a chance to win some national tournaments.  The errors they had this weekend are errors most teams are trying to clean up in March.  It'll be fun to see how far the girls go.  The middle from siegel will be very good, she has very little experience and seems to get better every week.  There are two middles and one setter, besides those three girls, the coach can move any girl to any position.  Both sides of the pins have excellent hitters, they can attack from any point on the court.

18 hours ago, TheNoise said:

Actually, we were both wrong. Alliance teams played TPV teams 6 times Saturday and 5 times Sunday. Saturday they went 0-6, Sunday they bounced back and went 3-2 head to head. Results are below taken from AES, exciting to finally see the two clubs play after the last year and a half of talk and back and forth. The game in middle TN is better for it. 

Saturday

13 Airborne lost to TPV-13 Yankee 25-11, 25-21

14 Molten lost to TPV-14 Yankee 25-12, 25-17

14 Premier lost to TPV-14 Foxtrot 25-21, 25-20

15 Airborne lost to TPV-15 Alpha 25-7, 25-9

15 Premier lost to TPV-15 Liberty 25-12, 25-14

16 Molten lost to TPV-16 Liberty 21-25, 25-21, 15-9

Sunday

13 REN won vs TPV 13-Zulu 25-11, 25-18

13 Molten won vs TPV 13-Yankee 25-22, 15-25, 17-15

14 Molten lost to TPV 14-Zulu 25-12, 25-19

16 REN lost to TPV 16-Alpha 25-16, 25-18

16 REN won vs TPV 16-Liberty 25-22, 23-25, 15-10

I'm very curious how Alliance families are feeling about their club after this weekend.  From the results its obvious TPV has closed talent gap.  When Alliance parents walked into "AGame" they had to feel like they've been screwed the past couple season in regards to how "AGame" was maintained.  "AGame" has not looked that good in 10+ years.  

Coaches, talent, facilities.......TPV seems to be doing it right.

TPV has def closed the gap.  It will be interesting to see how it flows over time.  I spoke to several parents and most are being very level headed about it.  Agree that Agame looked better, felt better.  I do think part of that was because Alliance knew that they were going to be losing the lease over the last couple of years, so they weren't going to drop a lot of money on it.   You know how it is, there will be some TPV kids come back, and others leave.   I think a lot of parents are completely fine with the field house.  It is a fine facility.  The big question is will Alliance improve their product.  There has already been some good changes this year already.  I spoke to a college coach who said that he has received more communication and seen more social media presence then ever before.   I think the coaching from each club is a push over all.  Some ages are better at alliance and vice versa.  Osage, did you get to see the Alliance 16 team?  if so, what are your thoughts.  I thought they looked better than anticipated, but will be average at best.