• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

TeeterTot

New club team

18 hours ago, Osage said:

Central Zone is a deep tournament. The Open Divisions in particular had multiple teams at pretty much every age division who have a chance to compete for National Championships. I'm surprised TPV wasn't there... it's not a USA Volleyball event, so they could have gone. With a couple of exceptions, Alliance teams finished within shouting distance of their original seeds. I wouldn't have expected them to do much different than they did.

Turning to Power League... only 3 TPV teams entered. Why so few? I think this will be a good weekend for that 16's team. Their opening pool isn't very strong, and though I'd expect the Sunday match-ups to be more competitive, I still don't see either team from the other pool beating them.

Central Zone offers an early season chance for a team to compare itself against good “Open level” competition.  “Top 2-4” finishing teams in each age division can be competitive in National Championship tournament play – beyond that, probably not.  

Osage - TPV plays the 3-day JVA World tournament in early April instead of Central Zone.

Alliance teams finished within “Shouting Distance” of their original seeds? 

Out of 6 teams (12-17):

0 exceeded their seeds

1 matched their seed (15's)

5 underperformed their seed (4 out of 5 missed their seed by 5 spots or more)  

12's 13's 14's
Original Seed 4 4 7
Order of Finish 12 9 16
# of Teams 16 18 18
SUN's Pool Silver Silver Bronze

Sat AM - 1-1 0-2
Sat PM - 0-2 0-2
Sat 1-2 - -
Sun 1-1 2-0 1-1
Overall 2-3 3-3 1-5

15's 16's 17's
Original Seed 19 17 13
Order of Finish 19 24 T-15
# of Teams 27 27 27
SUN's Pool Bronze Copper Silver A

Sat AM 0-2 0-2 1-1
Sat PM 2-0 1-1 0-2
Sat - - -
Sun 2-0 0-2 1-1
Overall 4-2 1-5 2-4

Osage correctly stated that a good measure of national competitiveness is Gold bracket finishes in larger tournaments like BlueGrass, Triple Crown, Qualifiers and Nationals.  And maybe some wins here and there against teams that have Gold bracket finishes.  Alliance had close calls with some good teams but not with any of the top placing teams. Looking to redeem this weekend.

Mideast Power League (MEPL):

This is 1st year participation for both Alliance and TPV in the MEPL Power League (MEPL) - both Clubs likely reassess sending their #1 and #2 teams at the end of year 1. 

Weekend #1 (only 17's/18's played)

Alliance 18-1's 4-1
Alliance 17-1's 3-2
Alliance 17-2's 1-4

TPV 18 Paragon 3-2
TPV 18 Bravo 2-3

Safe travel and good luck to all.

Interesting to see that TPV went 2-2 this weekend.  Saw they lost to Kiva 15. I Couldn’t find who else they lost to.  Alliance 16-1 went 5-0. Beat Kiva red.  Seems like they have figured out a lineup since that rough start.   Great weekend for those kids.  

On 2/1/2019 at 5:12 AM, Apostle said:

Alliance teams finished within “Shouting Distance” of their original seeds? 

Out of 6 teams (12-17):

0 exceeded their seeds

1 matched their seed (15's)

5 underperformed their seed (4 out of 5 missed their seed by 5 spots or more)  

You had more time to spend on the question than I did. I agree that the younger Alliance teams should probably be disappointed in their central zone finishes. And though it's hard to get excited about finishing 24th in a 27 team field, results suggest that 16's team competed well and lost close games to good teams. 

I also stand behind my comment about the depth of that tournament, especially at the Open divisions. Any event where the top teams from Legacy, KIVA, Circle City, Milwaukee Sting, Mintonette and AVC Cleveland are playing is a really deep event, regardless of age division. Then throw in a few other one-offs from Lions, A5, Michigan Elite, Tri-State and others bringing strength at various age levels. Good early season test with a lot of teams that will be in the National Championship conversation in June. 

Congrats to the TPV 18 2 team for another strong weekend, and for the 18 1 team for sweeping their weekend. Results say the TPV 16's lost to the KIVA 15-2s, and Munciana 15-1s, no shame there, those are good teams.

I do not think TPV 16's should be losing to a 15-2 team with all the talent they have on that team.  That is surprising to me.  I can understand the Munciana loss I guess.  Not saying it's a bad loss, but def surprising.   Am I wrong?   

51 minutes ago, clifford20 said:

I do not think TPV 16's should be losing to a 15-2 team with all the talent they have on that team.  That is surprising to me.  I can understand the Munciana loss I guess.  Not saying it's a bad loss, but def surprising.   Am I wrong?   

Both bad losses.  There were a couple players who were off their game during the weekend for sure, especially the loss to Kiva.  They beat the same Kiva team fairly easily in the last game,