• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

TeeterTot

New club team

Back to the original question, what's the back story? A couple years ago, the owner (or just operator?) of the Franklin Fieldhouse, being a businessman, was in the market for a tenant. He generated some interest from Munciana, one of the premier volleyball clubs in the country, and started issuing press releases to the effect that Munciana would be launching a satellite organization based out of the Fieldhouse. Curiously, those stories were also accompanied by wonderment from Munciana about the costs of club volleyball, and how expensive it was here, and their new program would be keeping costs way below that of competing organizations.

In parallel, he also went to the press with lots of stories about how A-Game was going to have to close down. Shrewd on his part, timing these releases to create the impression that he is in the midst of building the only nationally competitive volleyball community in town. But then both stories quietly went away. To be fair, A-Game is still in some sort of limbo, but it doesn't seem to be slowing Alliance or Upward Stars down any.

A year later, basically the same scenario played out, only this time with Sports Performance. Hence this. By the way, TP is every bit as expensive as every other club in town.

So I have thought about club expenses a lot.   The rough cost for Alliance is $3800 for a national level 1 team (I think)  (not including travel, food etc).  I have no idea how much Munciana, SP etc are, however I am not sure how much less the dues could be and still run a top organization.  Coaches have to be paid, there needs to be a full time director-who can make a good living.  The facilities are expensive.  So I ask, what could be different?  We are not basketball, so I don't see a scenario like grassroots aau basketball teams are sponsored and kids play for free.   Unless the club owns their own facility--I am not sure how that expense could be reduced--even then there are major expenses to owning a building.  I would rather pay more money and practice at A game, then to pay a bit less and practice at the Fieldhouse.  In the end though--I will go where the best coaching is 1st, and facility second.  Also, not to mention the club that get's the athlete the most exposure--which is massively important.  Bad tournament do no one good. What do you think?  

I thought the amazement about club costs was feigned. It's not like Munciana is ignorant about what people at other national-caliber clubs are paying. Perhaps they were just taking a swipe at paying that kind of money for lesser training and level of competition.

Munciana is a very different situation. They own their facility, and the overall COB is much lower there than almost anywhere else in the country.

I spoke to a couple of parents at Sports Performance and they are not happy With recent developments.  From one parent  “Seems SP is looking out for themselves and not players.  They have placed legitimate “1” players of lower teams so the drop off is not so severe at those other levels.”  They were also not happy with the tournament schedule.....it’s VERY weak.  If SP does not up their competition level, their players will not be seen by recruiters.

TT, a couple of questions for you.

First, when you say Sports Performance, are you talking about the Mother Ship (IE, Chicago group) or the Mid-Tenn satellite? I'm going to assume the latter...

Second, are you saying that they are taking top-team level kids and assigning them to lower-level teams? That's stunning to me. The Chicago-based organization decidedly does not do this. However, they do reserve the right to move kids back and forth across teams (and even ages) during the season. They consider that a benefit of their training model: after kids spend a few years in the program, they are sort of interchangeable.

And finally, a couple comments... I'm not surprised at the weak schedule. They need to establish a culture of winning. They'll have teams go out and win some of these events, post those results on social media, and at the end of the year, celebrate all their championships and top finishes. If they went head-to-head against top and second level teams from Alliance, Ethos, MidTenn, Choo-Choo, K2, etc., and DIDN'T beat those teams, families might begin to question the model.

As to "exposure", they need to build out their club from the bottom up. Exposure is for older kids, and while they have those, those kids and teams aren't the future of the club. I seriously doubt club leadership is losing sleep about getting their older kids recruited. Those players and families are paying forward, keeping the lights on until the younger generation is ready.

Agree with O, If the 14-15-16 teams are not playing good tournaments it will 100% affect their recruiting for the Div 1 level kid.  (especially 14-15 teams).  It was crazy to see how heavily scouted the 14's courts were last year.  It was def a surprise to me.  I also would be willing to bet that the parents complaining about 1's kids playing down---are deceived by their child's ability.   I could be wrong tho.

Clifford - All due respect but you are wrong.  One  girl I know was the best player on her one team last year at Alliance  (in a very weak age group) and she’s was placed on a two team this year at Performance (and yes, talking about Franklin). 

As for recruiting at 14-15, Shay Eggleston at Alliance (Logan’s little sister) was recruited a lot as a 14 last year and will get a lot of attention this season on the 15’s.  Alliance also has a big hitting lefty on their 14’s.  The reason I bring this up is you are 100% correct about recruiting at that age, it ramps up early for these young ladies.

That won't go over too well for sure.  Especially once they see the weakness of those tournaments.  There are 3-4 kids off that 14's team that received quite a bit of major recruiting action.  The fact they played A5 at nationals, and also made the final 8 was huge for those kids. 

I don't think this is as big an issue for the Performance kids. None of them are the level of college prospect Shay Eggleston is, and if they were, the coaches would find those kids regardless of where they were playing. While it's true that colleges are scouting 14's and 15's, let be honest with ourselves... those are the Power Conference schools who are in an escalating arms race with each other to lock down elite kids as soon as possible. Of the thousands of kids playing club volleyball nationally, we are talking the top 50, 100 kids most in each graduating class. There are probably aren't 20 such kids in all of Tennessee right now, across all classes.

Most of the kids playing college volleyball out of Middle Tennessee are not going to power conference schools. Recruiting attention for this level is more of a 16's / 17's window, with offers coming after that (if at all).

I have no idea what schedule the older Performance teams are playing, or even if they are playing Open-level events at all besides AAU. (I do hope / assume they will have teams playing Open at AAU.) I'll just say generically that it would be foolish for a PSA of that age, who is playing club volleyball for exposure to college coaches, to join a new organization without knowing exactly what events they'd be playing in.

Oh I agree O.   Maybe 2 at the most of those kids will play in a power 5 conference-including Shay.   It is so hard to say with a bunch of 8-9 graders.   Majority will be NAIA/D2 and lower D1--which is still incredible. 

So many of the parents just don't know how important the tournaments that they play in.  I've been around high school and club parents for 20 years or more, and they always surprise me about that. I am certain they will play in AAU nationals.