Boyd Buchanan Middle Tops McCallie

BoydBucFan

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an example of why I believe BC, Cleveland, Soddy and ALL the other Chattanooga area teams will always be on top:   Your young guys are already out there on the mat competing, while in Knoxville our middle school sign-ups were Monday after school. 

Don't get me wrong, this is not a knock on any Knoxville program in any way; I am just recognizing the difference in the wrestling culture of the Chattanooga are compared to the rest of the state.  But with that being said, congrats to BB Middle!!!

4 hours ago, BoydBucFan said:

Congrats to the little Bucaneers and coaches for beating McCallie for the first time in school history!  Apparently the Blue Tornado didn't  twist hard enough to knock the Bucaneer's ship off course.  Hooks Up!!

Boyd now has Sutherland in his 2nd year running their kids club.  Mike is one of top youth coaches in the state and he is really great at developing youth kids especially scoring from top.   Plus,  a lot of kids he used to train followed him over there so it’s not surprising to see Boyd’s MS program on the rise... 

Edited by durdon

Congrat's to BB.  I am sure it was a great experience for those wrestlers and their fans. 

You are right about Coach Sutherland.  He is great coaching the young wrestlers and all you have to do is look at all of the wrestlers that have come through his programs and how they have done  in High School.  He would be an excellent High School coach giving the opportunity.

Did McCallie wrestle all of their studs?  I keep reading about how they have all of these young wrestlers entering McCallie or are they in High School?  Please advise.

Coach Sutherland, congrat's.

Edited by facenthecrowd

10 hours ago, facenthecrowd said:

Did McCallie wrestle all of their studs?  I keep reading about how they have all of these young wrestlers entering McCallie or are they in High School?  Please advise.

McCallie encourages their highly developed MS wrestlers to travel and wrestle nationally instead of wrestling for the McCallie MS team.  You will see most of them wrestling for the Minions or HCB at all the major National Duals and entered into all the major national tournaments like super32, Dixie, Philo, Tulsa, Liberty etc..  

Also, a large percentage of the MCCallie varsity wrestlers will enter McCallie as freshman or 8th graders wrestling HS so they are not at McCallie for MS Wrestling. 

This year, McCallie picked up 3 Varsity wrestlers who enrolled as 9th graders, 2 varsity wrestlers who were at McCallie for MS who only wrestled nationally and will pick up one 8th grader who will wrestle nationally until he joins the HS varsity team after Christmas. None of those 6 varsity kids wrestled for the McCallie MS season. 

And just FYI, If all the rising  8th and 9th grade kids from this current upcoming class that have currently applied and committed to enroll at McCallie next year actually show up on campus next fall then McCallie will have a completely different lineup next year and it could be one of the best this state has seen in a long time.

6 hours ago, durdon said:

McCallie encourages their highly developed MS wrestlers to travel and wrestle nationally instead of wrestling for the McCallie MS team.  You will see most of them wrestling for the Minions or HCB at all the major National Duals and entered into all the major national tournaments like super32, Dixie, Philo, Tulsa, Liberty etc..  

Also, a large percentage of the MCCallie varsity wrestlers will enter McCallie as freshman or 8th graders wrestling HS so they are not at McCallie for MS Wrestling. 

This year, McCallie picked up 3 Varsity wrestlers who enrolled as 9th graders, 2 varsity wrestlers who were at McCallie for MS who only wrestled nationally and will pick up one 8th grader who will wrestle nationally until he joins the HS varsity team after Christmas. None of those 6 varsity kids wrestled for the McCallie MS season. 

And just FYI, If all the rising  8th and 9th grade kids from this current upcoming class that have currently applied and committed to enroll at McCallie next year actually show up on campus next fall then McCallie will have a completely different lineup next year and it could be one of the best this state has seen in a long time.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me Mr. Durdon.  BB did exactly what they were asked to do. They beat the team the McCallie put on the mat in front of them.  

6 hours ago, durdon said:

After talking to several McCallie parents, they only withheld two of their studs but we lost those weight classes anyway so it would not have affected the outcome. It's a good point that McCallie middle represents an organic team. It would be so nice if more high schools could afford to buy elite wrestlers from all over the country. 

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

Sounds like a lot of excuses to me Mr. Durdon.  BB did exactly what they were asked to do. They beat the team the McCallie put on the mat in front of them.  

No excuses at all, i was just answering facethecrowds question of where all the McCallie studs were and whether you like the answer or not McCallie simply does not build their HS roster from their MS program.   Whether that is a good strategy or not can be debated but it’s the truth. McCallie MS lost to Nashville Catholic team 73-6 today..  and in 2 years McCallie will have a better HS program than they have today..  even without a MS pipeline.

As for Boyd, it is incredibly impressive what is going on there.  The influence that Sutherland is having on steering kids into that program and the job he is doing coaching them is incredibly impressive. Couple that with the new wrestling facility they are building with the fact that i think they now have one of the top HS coaches in the state, they are a program that is about to become a force in D2. 

13 minutes ago, durdon said:

No excuses at all, i was just answering facethecrowds question of where all the McCallie studs were and whether you like the answer or not McCallie simply does not build their HS roster from their MS program.   Whether that is a good strategy or not can be debated but it’s the truth. McCallie MS lost to Nashville Catholic team 73-6 today..  and in 2 years McCallie will have a better HS program than they have today..  even without a MS pipeline.

As for Boyd, it is incredibly impressive what is going on there.  The influence that Sutherland is having on steering kids into that program and the job he is doing coaching them is incredibly impressive. Couple that with the new wrestling facility they are building with the fact that i think they now have one of the top HS coaches in the state, they are a program that is about to become a force in D2. 

:thumb:

27 minutes ago, durdon said:

I appreciate the kind words Scott but I am only a tiny piece of the puzzle of what we want to accomplish. We are very fortunate  to have Rabbit Turner and Jason Villers also leading our youth program. Then the kids will move up to Shane Turner not only for their school careers but off-season freestyle as well.  Ive been in a lot of rooms over the years and Shane is among the very best at developing high school kids and helping them reach their full potential. You guys have a bright future over at McCallie with your group of young studs.