Region 1 all four teams lost-this must have been the weakest conference in 5A.

EASTFAN

12 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Ah, apologies.  I thought the Volunteer and Central cases were more of "I'm tired of this, I don't want to be a head coach anymore." Type of deal.  I still sit on my main point that football is not important at the Central Office level to anyone in East TN.  The 4 City Schools in our area do get funding, but a big chunk of it is taken care of by outside sources.  That's great for those schools, but we can't have the same expectations at the other 20-30 county schools in the area.  It's also at a point where it's starting to get really blatant who can and can't compete with each other anymore.  That distance that DB, SH, Greeneville, and Elizabethon already have is just getting wider and wider.  The hopeful 1 out of 10 years to beat these teams is all that is really left for the counties.

Let's start making conferences based on the amount of funding given by a district and outside sources every single year.  Then let's see what everything would look like competition wise.

Rural / Urban is a big difference....Greeneville and Elizabethton  spend more money in one season than ALL the county schools in Greene , and  Carter county combined would over 10 seasons...makes a big BIG difference!

12 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Ah, apologies.  I thought the Volunteer and Central cases were more of "I'm tired of this, I don't want to be a head coach anymore." Type of deal.  I still sit on my main point that football is not important at the Central Office level to anyone in East TN.  The 4 City Schools in our area do get funding, but a big chunk of it is taken care of by outside sources.  That's great for those schools, but we can't have the same expectations at the other 20-30 county schools in the area.  It's also at a point where it's starting to get really blatant who can and can't compete with each other anymore.  That distance that DB, SH, Greeneville, and Elizabethon already have is just getting wider and wider.  The hopeful 1 out of 10 years to beat these teams is all that is really left for the counties.

Let's start making conferences based on the amount of funding given by a district and outside sources every single year.  Then let's see what everything would look like competition wise.

That was actually something that the TSSAA briefly looked at  before going to this 6 class realignment a couple of years ago.  They also had ideas pitched to let schools form their own conferences, like in college, or to take median income into account or even to completely ditch conferences all together and just create schedules in a computer based on travel distances.

The 5 City schools (DB, SH, TN High, Greeneville, 'Betsy) have pretty much dominated the county schools for decades, with the exception of a few down years and it's all because of money.  Even if you take the boosters out of the equations, the way we fund schools causes creates the issue, too.  When a head coach in the county can become a position coach at a city school and get a big raise for fewer headaches, or when upgrading a county school's facilities means they have to buy the city something nice, too (but not vice versa) it'll always be hard to build something.  That's just how it is.  Unless the legislature radically changes how we actually fund schools in this state, that's not going to change any time soon.

It's true, we have 2 huge schools, DB and Science Hill, at one point within the last 10 years Science Hill was actually the biggest school in TN. Yet we constantly underperform in the playoffs outside of Greeneville. I unfortunately feel that it will continue to be like this. Last year EHS had a shot to beat Alcoa and couldn't and I think that window closed. At the moment it appears as if Greeneville is the only team that can really compete on a regular basis with Knoxville and Westward.

8 hours ago, EHSTrack06 said:

It's true, we have 2 huge schools, DB and Science Hill, at one point within the last 10 years Science Hill was actually the biggest school in TN. Yet we constantly underperform in the playoffs outside of Greeneville. I unfortunately feel that it will continue to be like this. Last year EHS had a shot to beat Alcoa and couldn't and I think that window closed. At the moment it appears as if Greeneville is the only team that can really compete on a regular basis with Knoxville and Westward.

Money is sure not the reasons for our problems in upper east Tennessee. I bet the money that is going thought DB & SH is a lot more than many of the Knoxville schools like Central & Halls. I know for years Morristown West was the standard in upper east Tennessee. They were the only team to beat Maryville twice in a 6 or 7 year run Maryville had when they played 4A football. The different was Morristown West hired Don Woods. As a supporter of Morristown East Football, whatever the coaches ask for we in the booster’s club work to get it. Even if we must reach into our own pockets to do it.

Like I have said many times, Morristown East should be better than they are, because there is enough money and the school facilities are one of the best. Would you keep paying your doctor year after year if the results where you kept getting sicker. At some point you got to cut that Doctor lose, and find one that can help you. The problem is Coaching!

21 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

Money is sure not the reasons for our problems in upper east Tennessee. I bet the money that is going thought DB & SH is a lot more than many of the Knoxville schools like Central & Halls. I know for years Morristown West was the standard in upper east Tennessee. They were the only team to beat Maryville twice in a 6 or 7 year run Maryville had when they played 4A football. The different was Morristown West hired Don Woods. As a supporter of Morristown East Football, whatever the coaches ask for we in the booster’s club work to get it. Even if we must reach into our own pockets to do it.

Like I have said many times, Morristown East should be better than they are, because there is enough money and the school facilities are one of the best. Would you keep paying your doctor year after year if the results where you kept getting sicker. At some point you got to cut that Doctor lose, and find one that can help you. The problem is Coaching!

Ever think it might be that coaches' boss at East, too?  East has had multiple coaches over the past several years, but they always struggle to compete.

The principal at Morristown East isn't the easiest guy to work for nor is he the biggest supporter of athletics in general.  It's hard to get and keep quality assistants in the building, it's hard for the team to get all that they need to compete at a high level, etc.

I have friends who've worked there.  They all have stories about what a jerk the principal is, especially when it comes to athletics.  He's a micromanager and lets parents and politics dictate what happens in every classroom and every sport.

It also doesn't help East that all the athletic talent gravitates towards West.  West is struggling in 5A now and had a down year for them, but they've also had some administration changes in the past few years that took focus off athletics because they felt it was undermining academics.  The demographics at West have also changed a bit.  They have a ton of immigrant kids now who inflate the enrollment numbers but don't play football, forcing them to basically play a class up  whether they want to or not.  The last coach at West saw the writing on the wall and left for greener pastures.  

52 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Ever think it might be that coaches' boss at East, too?  East has had multiple coaches over the past several years, but they always struggle to compete.

The principal at Morristown East isn't the easiest guy to work for nor is he the biggest supporter of athletics in general.  It's hard to get and keep quality assistants in the building, it's hard for the team to get all that they need to compete at a high level, etc.

I have friends who've worked there.  They all have stories about what a jerk the principal is, especially when it comes to athletics.  He's a micromanager and lets parents and politics dictate what happens in every classroom and every sport.

It also doesn't help East that all the athletic talent gravitates towards West.  West is struggling in 5A now and had a down year for them, but they've also had some administration changes in the past few years that took focus off athletics because they felt it was undermining academics.  The demographics at West have also changed a bit.  They have a ton of immigrant kids now who inflate the enrollment numbers but don't play football, forcing them to basically play a class up  whether they want to or not.  The last coach at West saw the writing on the wall and left for greener pastures.  

You have hit the nail right on the head, Principal Johnson can be a butt head. He is the reasons we are in this mess with Coach Wells to start with. Why would you hire someone who has a career losing record? Just like Teachers, it is Mr. Johnson job to make sure they perform their dues. When they are not, he must let them go. Mr. Johnson needs to ask for Wells to step down at Morristown East. If he doesn’t I am going to make a point to see him removed from being principal. This shouldn’t be too hard, because I know the school board has been getting complains on him for years. His support from the teachers to the school board hasn’t been good for the past few years. If we are lucky he will retire, I know he is old enough. I got some letter to write, I will keep everyone up-dated on my progress.

18 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

You have hit the nail right on the head, Principal Johnson can be a butt head. He is the reasons we are in this mess with Coach Wells to start with. Why would you hire someone who has a career losing record? Just like Teachers, it is Mr. Johnson job to make sure they perform their dues. When they are not, he must let them go. Mr. Johnson needs to ask for Wells to step down at Morristown East. If he doesn’t I am going to make a point to see him removed from being principal. This shouldn’t be too hard, because I know the school board has been getting complains on him for years. His support from the teachers to the school board hasn’t been good for the past few years. If we are lucky he will retire, I know he is old enough. I got some letter to write, I will keep everyone up-dated on my progress.

1. You want to remove a principal to improve a football program.

2.  If Wells has tenure, you can remove him as coach but you have to have a position for someone else to land in. 

3. Why would anyone outside of Morristown want to teach there?

4. How is the state report card going for East? If scores are good or improving, your letter won’t go far.

5.  Football is not important to school systems anymore.  Academics are.  World is a changing place.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, formerblazer said:

1. You want to remove a principal to improve a football program.

2.  If Wells has tenure, you can remove him as coach but you have to have a position for someone else to land in. 

3. Why would anyone outside of Morristown want to teach there?

4. How is the state report card going for East? If scores are good or improving, your letter won’t go far.

5.  Football is not important to school systems anymore.  Academics are.  World is a changing place.

That is my whole point, East’s Academics are avg. and Football is below avg. East’s has a good boys’ basketball team the past few years, and the girl softball team lost in the sub state this past season. What I am trying to get across, is excellent comes from the top. What is Morristown East ranking academically in the state?  They are just below the middle in all round performance when it comes to state test scores and funding.

There maybe things that I do not understand that is hurting Mr. Johnson from reaching the goal. Just like Tennessee had to let Butch Jones go, just maybe we need to let some others go too. I can only judge base on what has happen under his watch the last 10-15 years. It just seems to me East’s is avg. in the classroom and on the field. If some has facts to prove me wrong, please post them.

Edited by EASTFAN

15 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

That is my whole point, East’s Academics are avg. and Football is below avg. East’s has a good boys’ basketball team the past few years, and the girl softball team lost in the sub state this past season. What I am trying to get across, is excellent comes from the top. What is Morristown East ranking academically in the state?  They are just below the middle in all round performance when it comes to state test scores and funding.

There maybe things that I do not understand that is hurting Mr. Johnson from reaching the goal. Just like Tennessee had to let Butch Jones go, just maybe we need to let some others go too. I can only judge base on what has happen under his watch the last 10-15 years. It just seems to me East’s is avg. in the classroom and on the field. If some has facts to prove me wrong, please post them.

Sounds to me like he is still there because A.  He hasn't caused problems and his staff behaves, B. He has tenure as an administrator in the system and unless they move him to central office or another administrative position... not happening, C.  He apparently gets along well enough with the coach so he still has a job.  Your head coach made it to the playoffs.... half the 5A teams didn't do that.  Even though it wasn't successful as thought, this is still a success in the program to have that 11 week season.

I think the point I am trying to make is people keep coming to the games, the program usually ends up in the playoffs, there are no real issues besides the W vs L of the team.... you aren't going to see any changes anytime soon.  As long as no noise is made via negative press or something like that.... sports are just not important to a system as they used to be.

2016 Dewayne Wells 6-4-0 0-1-0 6-5-0
2015 Dewayne Wells 3-7-0 0-1-0 3-8-0
2014 Dewayne Wells 6-4-0 0-1-0 6-5-0
2013 Dwayne Hatcher 9-1-0 1-1-0 10-2-0
2012 Dwayne Hatcher 1-9-0 0-0-0 1-9-0
2011 Dwayne Hatcher 5-5-0 1-1-0 6-6-0
2010 Dwayne Hatcher 5-5-0 0-1-0 5-6-0
2009 Dwayne Hatcher 5-5-0 0-1-0 5-6-0
2008 Dwayne Hatcher 8-2-0 1-1-0 9-3-0
2007 Dwayne Hatcher 5-5-0 0-1-0 5-6-0
2006 Dwayne Hatcher 7-3-0 2-1-0 9-4-0

It's hard to make a case to get rid of your coach when since 2006, he has not made it to the playoffs except for 1 year.  2 losing seasons during that time looking at the regular season.  You can blame coaching, but it also looks like athletes aren't playing football or the athletes aren't as good as projected, that can be part of your equation too.

Edit edit - Ah, two coaches.  well in 3 years 3 playoff appearances.  Not ready for 3 and done quite yet at all.

Edited by formerblazer