Class 3A Round 2: South Gibson (9-2) at Raleigh Egypt (11-0)

NotNoahHouck

Congrats to Raleigh-Egypt and we will see you in Covington next week.

RE wins by 12. If you read previous posts in this thread, Score Predictor picked them by 16 and Sonny-Moore power ratings by 15. I find both to be pretty good indicators of likely outcomes. Now they don't necessarily account for a team turning the ball over 4 or 5 times (unless they have been doing that all season, in which case the stats do cover that).

On 11/8/2017 at 4:32 PM, tradertwo said:

South Gibson is a relatively "new" team...their "they beat them" moments didn't necessarily involve beating a superior opponent, rather beating teams that they traditionally wouldn't beat. Lexington was a good win...one that nobody saw coming, but Lexington also lost to Liberty, and wasn't a very good team at all early this season. Bolivar had high expectations with some talented players, but to be realistic they were just above average, and Milan underachieved all season. Still the Hornets won those games when expected to lose by many, and have gained confidence from them. That is what I meant by dang...they beat them!!! Their schedule had some tough opponents, and that will help, but getting the monkey off their back with Milan was probably their signature win...you can't always figure "best win" on paper.

Agree, a lot of people had South Gibson at 4-6 this year, simply because they couldn't win a playoff game and a "big/significant" game. They started the season with a win over Lexington (good team, not great), Bolivar team which was a great win, not anymore, and the private school in Nashville which no one from West Tennessee knows about them, nor cares. So, it actually was a pretty good year for the Hornets compared to previous seasons.

Congrats to RE. Good luck next Friday against Covington. 

5 turnovers.........   Dont really know what to say....

Grandberry is the real deal. He is the best running back I have seen this year. 

Covington is the best team I have seen this year. So the match up between the 2 schools looks like a fine one. 

Proud of my Hornets. This class of seniors left its mark on the program. I hope all of our kids know that our entire community is proud of them and they represented our town with class and dignity. SGC never laid down and made everyone that played them know they were in for a fight. Lots of emotions were left on that field tonight. This is last time most of these kids will ever strap it up and play a ball game. 

Even with the all of the turnovers SGC had a chance to win the game. We left 14 points on the field with them, and probably 7 more points because of them. If the turnover margin is even SGC wins this game. I am not making excuses for the game RE won fair and square. A caller on our local radio said " great teams really make you pay for your mistakes" he was absolutely correct. RE made the best of the gifts and converted them into points.... points wins every single time. 

Good luck to RE next week vs Covington. Yall are going to need some of it if you want to beat the chargers this year. 

GO HORNETS!!!!!

Memphis area high school players of the week (Round 2, Playoffs)

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 10:00 a.m. CT Nov. 14, 2017

germantown-whitestation15.jpg

(Photo: Yalonda M. James/The Commercial Appeal)

Football offense

Kalyn Grandberry, Raleigh-Egypt: The senior broke the Shelby County single-season record last Friday, scoring four times as the Pharaohs (12-0) defeated South Gibson, 26-14, in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs. Grandberry's final touchdown — a 99-yard run in the fourth quarter — gives him 44, surpassing the 43 scored by White Station's Dillon Mitchell in 2015. He finished with a career-high 309 yards on 22 carries.

Greg "Butta" Williams, White Station: Williams was a workhorse for the Spartans, carrying 43 times for 165 yards and scoring twice in his team's 17-14 victory over previously-undefeated Germantown in Class 6A. The senior's second touchdown was the game-winner with 24 seconds left and came moments after he caught a 35-yard pass from Drew Lyons on 4th and 10 to keep White Station alive.

Football defense

Joshua Gray, Whitehaven: Gray was all over the field as the Tigers advanced to the Class 6A quarterfinals for the fifth straight season, 35-0 over Central. He intercepted a pass, broke up three others and contributed five tackles as Whitehaven recorded its fifth shutout of the year and earned a home game with White Station this Friday.

Edited by kwc