Memphis BB

TonyG

1 hour ago, Osage said:

I think the TSSAA is getting what they want here. They WANT that argument to be a difficult one. This serves them in 2 ways... first, the longer this drags out, the closer they are to coming across like they got what they wanted (IE, they enforced their rule, poorly written though it was). Second, if they prevail (and by your logic, they won't, but if they do...) then the umbrella of circumstances in which "coaching link" applies will grow.

But playing under the banner "Team Penny" or... who is the other Memphis group... Mike Miller? Or Dontae Jones, or Jahlil Okafor, or... (insert some current or former NBA player)... simply playing under the player's name confers something, don't you think?

What is the next step? Is there a hearing date set for whatever is supposed to happen next?

I'm not an expert on the TSSAA and their legal battles over the years. However, I can't imagine they didn't have some type of battle back in the day when they seperated the privates from the publics. They came out of that one. They have history on their side in that regard. 

No, I don't think simply playing under a player's name confers anything. The player is aware and kept informed i'm sure, but they don't handle any of the day to day responsibilities of these orginizations. They just allow their name to be used. They, for the most part, are trying to give back in the best way they know how, as well as, stay involved with the sport they love. Their fame helps in that regard. However, thats as far as it goes really. You may see them from time to time, but all of this is done through the athletic sports appearal companies. Nike, Addidas, and now Under Armor. They run AAU ... not the NBA players.

Well, according to that article I posted, they have a hearing on December 7th.

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, kwc said:

I'm not an expert on the TSSAA and their legal battles over the years. However, I can't imagine they didn't have some type of battle back in the day when they seperated the privates from the publics. They came out of that one. They have history on their side in that regard. 

No, I don't think simply playing under a player's name confers anything. The player is aware and kept informed i'm sure, but they don't handle any of the day to day responsibilities of these orginizations. They just allow their name to be used. They, for the most part, are trying to give back in the best way they know how, as well as, stay involved with the sport they love. Their fame helps in that regard. However, thats as far as it goes really. You may see them from time to time, but all of this is done through the athletic sports appearal companies. Nike, Addidas, and now Under Armor. They run AAU ... not the NBA players.

Well, according to that article I posted, they have a hearing on December 7th.

Does Penny not go to the tournaments? Has he not been in pictures, that were featured in the CA, with a clipboard in his hand? Penny Hardaway is involved because he doesn't want anything with his name on it to have anything bad associated with it. I love Penny. I was a big Orlando Magic fan when he was there, he does great things for this city, and he seems to genuinely to be a great guy. However, he would be better off starting his own school and not being part of the TSSAA. Then if he gets all the good players at least the public side of things would be fairer.

maxresdefault.jpg

penny_bench-634x423.jpg20160417_eybl_session1_jonlopez_0020.jpg

21 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Does Penny not go to the tournaments? Has he not been in pictures, that were featured in the CA, with a clipboard in his hand? Penny Hardaway is involved because he doesn't want anything with his name on it to have anything bad associated with it. I love Penny. I was a big Orlando Magic fan when he was there, he does great things for this city, and he seems to genuinely to be a great guy. However, he would be better off starting his own school and not being part of the TSSAA. Then if he gets all the good players at least the public side of things would be fairer.

maxresdefault.jpg

penny_bench-634x423.jpg20160417_eybl_session1_jonlopez_0020.jpg

Yep, he goes to the tournaments. You are right, he doesn't want a bad reputation attached to his orginization's name. He's involved, more so then any of the others. However, it is impossible to get all of the talent in Memphis. Public or private. There are still a LOT of public schools with plenty of talent to compete ... here in Memphis. He doesn't need to start a school, and we all know that's not his focus. I don't think his assembling of talent is 'unfair'. That just how I see things. We can disagree. It happens all of the time.

If this coaching link thing is estasblished and upheld by the TSSAA, then then so be it. Folks will just have to learn how to work with it and abide by it. Adapt and move on.

Edited by kwc

4 hours ago, kwc said:

No, I don't think simply playing under a player's name confers anything...

They just allow their name to be used. They, for the most part, are trying to give back in the best way they know how, as well as, stay involved with the sport they love.

The first sentence is logically inconsistent with the other two. Penny (and others like him) is involved in some way (your second set of statements) or not (your first). If involved, it isn't too big a leap to say there is a "coaching link".

Just now, Osage said:

The first sentence is logically inconsistent with the other two. Penny (and others like him) is involved in some way (your second set of statements) or not (your first). If involved, it isn't too big a leap to say there is a "coaching link".

You are correct. If they deem non monitary involvement to be a coaching link, then so be it. That's not the language they used however. Thay said ... sponsor.

9 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Bruce Guy is eligible at Cordova. He had 18 last night. This makes Cordova a better team and in my opinion, outside of East, one of the top AAA teams in the State. 

In your opinion, how does the rest of the local teams stack up? Whitehaven, Central, Southwind, Germantown, Houston, etc.

14 hours ago, kwc said:

In your opinion, how does the rest of the local teams stack up? Whitehaven, Central, Southwind, Germantown, Houston, etc.

Whitehaven is supposed to be more competitive than last year I don't really know much about them.

Central will have a winning record for the season but I'm not sure how they'll stack up in the district. That district will probably be the most talented from top to bottom (forget about Overton) in the state.

Southwind is as good as Mark Freeman is. They have a few transfers from Germantown (one of them plays a lot)  They would be my pick to win the district.

Germantown will finish in the middle of the district. They lost to Bartlett by 15+. I think they'll be about as good as last year.

Houston lost most of the talent they had. Mike Miller's son will make an impact for them and eventually he'll be a big-time player.

I'm not coaching this season and I missed the summer so my knowledge is limited. 

7 hours ago, dannyq said:

Whitehaven took Olive Branch to the shed tonight. Won by atleast 15.

I haven't been impressed with Olive Branch anytime I've seen them in the past 3 years. I know that Jeffries is a top prospect and they've had some talent but I felt like they cannot compete with teams they should be beating in Memphis.