Memphis BB

TonyG

I know this is a high school football forum but I'm going to post this story from the CA about Matthew Murrell.

The Commercial Appeal: Whitehaven's Murrell to transfer to IMG Academy

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/05/30/whitehavens-matthew-murrell-transfer-img-academy/1293532001/

Whitehaven's Matthew Murrell, the state's No. 2 prospect, announced on Twitter  that he will transfer to IMG Academy for his senior season.

Murrell is also the No. 85 prospect in the nation for the Class of 2020, according to the 247Sports composite.

The four-star junior guard said that IMG Academy assistant coach Trey Draper reached out to him a few months ago. Draper is a Memphis native and a former Memphis Tigers guard who played at Mitchell.

The decision comes 10 days after Vanderbilt announced that it hired Murrell's high school coach, Faragi Phillips, to join Jerry Stackhouse's staff. Murrell said Phillips' departure played a role in his decision to transfer.

"He’s been coaching me all my life and I wanted to play a very competitive schedule this year and I knew that IMG was going to provide that for me," said Murrell.

When asked if Phillips' addition to the Vanderbilt staff made the Commodores more competitive in his recruitment, he said a little bit, but "not really."

"They were competitive anyway, they play in the SEC, one of the toughest conferences in the NCAA," said Murrell.

Murrell holds offers from Vanderbilt, Memphis, Tennessee, Ole Miss, North Carolina State and Florida, among others. He led Whitehaven to the Class AAA semifinals this season.

13 hours ago, kwc said:

I know this is a high school football forum but I'm going to post this story from the CA about Matthew Murrell.

The Commercial Appeal: Whitehaven's Murrell to transfer to IMG Academy

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/05/30/whitehavens-matthew-murrell-transfer-img-academy/1293532001/

Whitehaven's Matthew Murrell, the state's No. 2 prospect, announced on Twitter  that he will transfer to IMG Academy for his senior season.

Murrell is also the No. 85 prospect in the nation for the Class of 2020, according to the 247Sports composite.

The four-star junior guard said that IMG Academy assistant coach Trey Draper reached out to him a few months ago. Draper is a Memphis native and a former Memphis Tigers guard who played at Mitchell.

The decision comes 10 days after Vanderbilt announced that it hired Murrell's high school coach, Faragi Phillips, to join Jerry Stackhouse's staff. Murrell said Phillips' departure played a role in his decision to transfer.

"He’s been coaching me all my life and I wanted to play a very competitive schedule this year and I knew that IMG was going to provide that for me," said Murrell.

When asked if Phillips' addition to the Vanderbilt staff made the Commodores more competitive in his recruitment, he said a little bit, but "not really."

"They were competitive anyway, they play in the SEC, one of the toughest conferences in the NCAA," said Murrell.

Murrell holds offers from Vanderbilt, Memphis, Tennessee, Ole Miss, North Carolina State and Florida, among others. He led Whitehaven to the Class AAA semifinals this season.

A big blow to Whitehaven and a big blow to the city. 

On 6/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, warmachine7954 said:

A big blow to Whitehaven and a big blow to the city. 

Agreed. In my mind, Southwind has to be the favorite for AAA next season coming out of Memphis. They barley lost to Whitehaven by a last second shot by Murrell. 

However, it is a long wait until next season starts ... things will start taking shape after the summer basketball season concludes. 

4 hours ago, kwc said:

Agreed. In my mind, Southwind has to be the favorite for AAA next season coming out of Memphis. They barley lost to Whitehaven by a last second shot by Murrell. 

However, it is a long wait until next season starts ... things will start taking shape after the summer basketball season concludes. 

Southwind lost 6'7 big Kameron Jones and veteran pg Ashton Smith. I know Edwards loses alot year in and out and gets a squad together every time, but i think Houston is the team that should take the next step. Very young and long team.

I wonder how scarce Whitehaven will be next year. I know alot of the core kids their followed Phillips to whitehaven, and I've seen Jesse Payne playing with Trezvant this summer so i wonder how it will look next year. But then again its the summer. I saw a kid play with 2 different schools one summer and was enrolled elsewhere when August came. Also remember the summer before Wiseman came to town East had all the star players that won the championship at Hamilton two years ago on the squad. Summer is crazy sometimes. 

9 hours ago, kwc said:

4 hours ago, TonyG said:

Southwind lost 6'7 big Kameron Jones and veteran pg Ashton Smith. I know Edwards loses alot year in and out and gets a squad together every time, but i think Houston is the team that should take the next step. Very young and long team.

I wonder how scarce Whitehaven will be next year. I know alot of the core kids their followed Phillips to whitehaven, and I've seen Jesse Payne playing with Trezvant this summer so i wonder how it will look next year. But then again its the summer. I saw a kid play with 2 different schools one summer and was enrolled elsewhere when August came. Also remember the summer before Wiseman came to town East had all the star players that won the championship at Hamilton two years ago on the squad. Summer is crazy sometimes. 

I think Southwind lost 6-8 guys off of last years team. Southwind finds players though.

I heard Alden Applewhite is going to Houston. Houston was already gonna be tough he makes them very good. 

It's gonna be interesting when school starts in August.

Edited by warmachine7954

On 6/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, warmachine7954 said:

I think Southwind lost 6-8 guys off of last years team. Southwind finds players though.

I heard Alden Applewhite is going to Houston. Houston was already gonna be tough he makes them very good. 

It's gonna be interesting when school starts in August.

Well, Houston does have some talent, with  Mike Miller's boy developing into a future 4-star prospect. He's 6'-9" already, right? Not to mention coach Matlock's son is there as well. He's also a future D-1 basketball player.

So, who coaches Houston?

Edited by kwc

37 minutes ago, kwc said:

Well, Houston does have some talent, with  Mike Miller's boy developing into a future 4-star prospect. He's 6'-9" already, right? Not to mention coach Matlock's son is there as well. He's also a future D-1 basketball player.

So, who coaches Houston?

Yes, they have talent. They were pretty good last year.

Mason Miller is listed at 6'9 and he's got offers from TCU and Creighton. He'll get more offers as the summer goes. He's class of 2021

Madlock is a good player and will play college somewhere. 

They also have Zander Yates. He's 6-7 or 6-8. D1 player too.

Add the Applewhite kid and you've got the makings of a monster at Houston.

Charlie Leonard is the coach at Houston. No slouch by any means.

Edited by warmachine7954

With Murrell leaving for IMG the city needs a new best player.

Who is it?

Jonathan Lawson? #20 in ESPN 60 2021

Alden Applewhite? Didn't play much last year due to injury.

Word is he's going to Houston. #42 ESPN 60 2021

Kennedy Chandler? #43 ESPN 60 2021. This kid is nice!

Jalen Brown? #52 ESPN 60 2021. I really like his game.

Mason Miller? He's growing into his body and only getting better.

Chandler Jackson at CBHS is an unknown/unrecognized kid that is really good in my opinion.

Anyone else got any?

Chandler is my #1, kid has really gotten better over the years. And i'd take Brown then Lawson. Miller is raw. And Jackson is young. Chandler could somewhat compare to Garland when its done.

Garland was a special kid that would arguably be the #2 pick had he been healthy, top 5 is still a huge blessing but i think he couldve taken some of the Ja Morant spotlight. Not saying he will be Garland but maybe his Briarcrest career will be similar to Garland at Brentwood. 

Edited by TonyG

Payne isn't going to leave Whitehaven....just playing with a different team while Whitehaven isn't playing in anything. Kavion Mcclain just did the same with Arlington last week. Them hiring Coach Horton, old coach from BTW could make them lose a few guys but if they go back, Haven is top 2-3 in the Triple A ball. Best player in the city, that's interesting convo.