Memphis BB

TonyG

Fred Horton reportedly to become Whitehaven basketball coach

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 2:40 p.m. CT June 10, 2019 | Updated 6:27 p.m. CT June 10, 2019

Whitehaven has hired longtime Booker T. Washington coach Fred Horton as its next boys basketball coach, according to Jason Smith of ESPN 92.9. 

Horton has 695 career wins as a high school coach. He played at Memphis State from 1969-72. 

He replaces Faragi Phillips, who was hired by Vanderbilt as an assistant on Jerry Stackhouse's staff last month.

Phillips led Whitehaven to the Class AAA semifinals last season. The Tigers were also District 16-AAA district champions. 

Four-star guard Matthew Murrell, the No. 85 prospect in the nation according to the 247Sports composite recently announced that he will transfer from Whitehaven to IMG Academy in Florida.

Murrell averaged 20.1 points per game last season. 

Fred Horton, longtime former BTW coach and one of the kings of Shelby-Metro HS coaching with 695 career wins, confirmed to me this morn he’s replacing Faragi Phillips (now at Vanderbilt) as the new head coach at Whitehaven. Can’t wait to see Fred back on the HS sidelines.

Edited by kwc

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing Houston play now at MUS team camp and to me, they look like the early AAA favorite out of Memphis. Strong PG play, shooting and they rebound well. Not too many weaknesses with this group. Also Briarcrest and Wooddale looked pretty good also. I don't take too much from summer camps, though. Still very early and lots of work to be done.

Edited by dmm88

On 6/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, dmm88 said:

Seeing Houston play now at MUS team camp and to me, they look like the early AAA favorite out of Memphis. Strong PG play, shooting and they rebound well. Not too many weaknesses with this group. Also Briarcrest and Wooddale looked pretty good also. I don't take too much from summer camps, though. Still very early and lots of work to be done.

I think Houston is the favorite too. Too much talent and a good coach.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 11:08 AM, TonyG said:

Matthew Murrell and Kennedy Chandler finished atop the UAA and EYBL respectively. Hoop City's 16s were bounced in the final 4 of the Adidas gauntlet in a 1 pt OT loss. Memphis kids represented well this summer. Salute to the boys.

Yes indeed. What do you think about Memphis offering Kennedy?

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Yes indeed. What do you think about Memphis offering Kennedy?

Good move. 2 years left of high school and most of the point guards will be seniors when he steps onto a campus. He's getting better and better and could go down as the best PG in his class. Dont think itll matter much but his Dad is a frat brother of Matlock and Penny's. But when you're a kid ranked as high as he will end up, its about the best opportunity to get you to the next level.

16 minutes ago, TonyG said:

Good move. 2 years left of high school and most of the point guards will be seniors when he steps onto a campus. He's getting better and better and could go down as the best PG in his class. Dont think itll matter much but his Dad is a frat brother of Matlock and Penny's. But when you're a kid ranked as high as he will end up, its about the best opportunity to get you to the next level.

I thought it was a good move as well. What's up with the young man at Trezevant? Wait and see?

Edited by kwc

• 5 weeks later...

The Commercial Appeal: 5-star hoops prospect Moussa Cisse transf to Lausanne

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/08/14/moussa-cisse-transferring-memphis-lausanne/2011427001/

Moussa Cisse, the nation's No. 9 basketball prospect in the class of 2021 according to the 247Sports Composite, announced on Twitter that he will transfer to Lausanne. Cisse previously attended Christ The King Regional in Queens, New York.

"I really thanks Christ the king for the good 2 years the give me and teach me a lot things and thanks New York City my next chapter year 3," Cisse wrote.

Cisse, a 6-foot-9, 200 pound power forward, is the No. 4 power forward in the nation. He played on the AAU circuit with Expressions (MA) Elite. Cisse holds reported offers from UConn and Georgia.

Lausanne coach Marvis Davis said that Cisse's family is working with the Lausanne admissions team and that the transfer isn't quite final yet.

"I do know and can tell you on the record that he is working with our admissions team," Davis said.

With Cisse's transfer, five of the 2021 ESPN 60 prospects — Cisse, Johnathan Lawson, Kennedy Chandler, Jalen Brown, Alden Applewhite are in Memphis.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, dmm88 said:

I'm pretty sure Applewhite is enrolled at Houston. 

Houston could win it all.

• 5 weeks later...