Memphis BB

TonyG

• 4 weeks later...

Should the article below happen, how will that affect things going forward?

Here's the 28 schools that would close, 10 that would see new buildings under Hopson's plan

Jennifer Pignolet, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 7:06 p.m. CT Dec. 11, 2018

Shelby County Schools Superintendent Dorsey Hopson is proposing closing 28 schools over the next several years and building 10 new schools. 

The plan aims to address a list of $500 million worth of deferred maintenance projects and 17,000 open seats across the district. Hopson called the proposal "preliminary." The school board would have to approve the plan, and later vote on individual school closures, and the Shelby County Commission would have to approve funding for the new construction. 

Estimates of the cost of the plan top $700 million. 

Here are the schools that would close, the neighborhoods that would receive new schools, and existing buildings that could get additions. 

Proposed closures

E.E. Jeter K-8

Northaven Elementary

Lucy Elementary

Woodstock Middle

Bolton High

Trezevant High

Raleigh-Egypt 6-12

Egypt Elementary

Oakshire Elementary

Gardenview Elementary

Shady Grove Elementary

Bethel Grove Elementary

Dunbar Elementary

Cherokee Elementary

Wooddale High

Sheffield High

Oakhaven High

Crump Elementary

Ross Elementary

Georgian Hills Middle

Scenic Hills Elementary

Alton Elementary

Westwood High

Hamilton Middle

Goodlett Elementary

Knight Road Elementary

Charjean Elementary

Magnolia Elementary

New schools that would be built

Alcy Elementary (already underway)

Goodlett Elementary (already underway)

Orange Mound-area elementary school

Raleigh-Egypt-area K-12 campus (This counts as two new schools)

Woodstock-area K-8 school

J.P. Freeman Optional School

Hickory Hill-area elementary school

Cordova-area high school

Parkway Village-area high school

Five schools that would get additions

Whitehaven Elementary

Winchester Elementary

Brownsville Road Elementary

Grandview Heights Middle 

Lucie E. Campbell Elementary

Edited by kwc

It definitely will cause enrollment fluctuations in certain areas. It seems like Wooddale and Sheffield would combine to the proposed Parkway Village-area high school. That could be a AAA school. The proposed Cordova Area School could be a AA to start then grow to a AAA quickly. 

The proposition to open a new school in the Cordova area will probably draw students from Cordova and Germantown High. Which will more than likely bring both of those enrollments down, especially Germantown. That could prompt a sale of Germantown High School to Germantown Municipal School District. (this, of course, wouldn't affect basketball

It doesn't seem like there is a plan to replace Bolton. Where do those kids go? Arlington?

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2019 at 8:45 PM, dmm88 said:

Reaction to the TSSAA punishment on Wooddale, Melrose, and Westwood???????

On 2/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, terop said:

I thought that two years is a little steep.

Not at all. You can’t act like thugs and criminals in high school athletics without consequences.  Video evidence shows it should have been even more IMO. I wonder how many kids will transfer away from these schools now?  SMH Memphis isn’t above the TSSAA fyi

Edited by UCSportsFan

1 hour ago, UCSportsFan said:

Not at all. You can’t act like thugs and criminals in high school athletics without consequences.  Video evidence shows it should have been even more IMO. I wonder how many kids will transfer away from these schools now?  SMH Memphis isn’t above the TSSAA fyi

The good ole boy spirit just seeps through when you type. SMH

3 hours ago, coachzero said:

The good ole boy spirit just seeps through when you type. SMH

Racism seeps through every word you type sir. No good ole boy spirit here I only see two colors, light green and dark green. If you were a Marine you’d understand that concept. It’s time we stopped making excuses for bad behavior and asking for leniency every time teenagers and adults act this way. 

Edited by UCSportsFan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Racism seeps through every word you type sir. No good ole boy spirit here I only see two colors, light green and dark green. If you were a Marine you’d understand that concept. It’s time we stopped making excuses for bad behavior and asking for leniency every time teenagers and adults act this way. 

Keep supporting 45 sir,

On 2/4/2019 at 12:06 PM, UCSportsFan said:

So what do you think about those thugs and criminals fighting in that Adamsville vs Scotts Hill game?