Memphis BB

TonyG

Brown is at Wooddale this year. That makes them viable, they were already going to be pretty decent but adding him takes Wooddale to a different level in Double A in Memphis. Houston is going to be the team to beat in Triple A!! I love what they have, they are big at every position. Only problem with them, will be their bench and they have a 6'7 freshman on the bench!! East tougher than them though, no where as talented but tougher and Whitehaven guards are better but much smaller and Whitehaven has no bigs at all. Houston should run it but you never know!

On 9/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, SayWhat said:

Brown is at Wooddale this year. That makes them viable, they were already going to be pretty decent but adding him takes Wooddale to a different level in Double A in Memphis. Houston is going to be the team to beat in Triple A!! I love what they have, they are big at every position. Only problem with them, will be their bench and they have a 6'7 freshman on the bench!! East tougher than them though, no where as talented but tougher and Whitehaven guards are better but much smaller and Whitehaven has no bigs at all. Houston should run it but you never know!

I agree Houston and Wooddale should be the favorites. Arlington is young but very , very talented. They have the top freshmen class in the county. 

Edited by Galilee

Arlington should be pretty decent in their coach first year. He did good job last year at Raleigh-Egypt, just lost at the wrong time. I see them being good next year in the convo as one of the 3 4 best  teams in Triple A next year. They might be there this year but that's because it seem a lil down to me in Triple A this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

15 Memphis-area high school boys basketball players to watch during the 2019-20 season

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 5:00 a.m. CT Dec. 16, 2019

The high school basketball season is underway. Here are 15 Memphis-area players to keep an eye on.

Kennedy Chandler, Briarcrest: The five-star point guard led Briarcrest to a state title and won the DII-AA Mr. Basketball award last year. He averaged 19.5 points, 3.1 assists and 4 rebounds per game. He also set a school record with 111 steals. (6'-1", 160 lb., PG)

Moussa Cisse, Lausanne: The five-star big man transferred to Lausanne from New York's Christ the King. He's the top-ranked junior in Tennessee and No. 9 overall in the country according to the 247Sports Composite(6'-9", 200 lb., PF)

Briarcrest Christian's Kennedy Chandler, left, is one of the top returning prep basketball players in Memphis this season.

Briarcrest Christian's Kennedy Chandler, left, is one of the top returning prep basketball players in Memphis this season. (Photo: Mike Clark/For The Tennessean)

Cameron Matthews, Olive Branch: The 6-foot-6 Mississippi State signee is the No. 2 prospect in Mississippi and helped lead Olive Branch to an appearance in the Class 5A MHSAA state title game. He averaged 10.7 points last season. 

Johnathan Lawson, Wooddale: The youngest of the Lawson brothers won a state title last year starring alongside older brother Chandler. The 6-foot-6 forward is ranked No. 6 in the state for the class of 2021. (4-Star, 6'-6", 165 lb., SF)

Alden Applewhite, Houston: The 6-foot-6, 230-pound forward is ranked No. 5 in the state for the class of 2021 and has offers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Texas A&M, among others. (4-star, 6;-6", 230 lb., SF)

Jalen Brown, Wooddale: Brown, who starred at Trezevant last season, transferred to defending Class AA state champ Wooddale. The 6-foot-3 guard is the No. 4 prospect in the state for the class of 2021. (4-star, 6'-3", 175 lb., SG)

Duane Posey, East: Posey, who transferred from Melrose, is the No. 5 senior prospect in the state according to the 247Sports rankings. 

Mason Miller, Houston: The son of Memphis assistant Mike Miller is the No. 3 prospect in the state for the class of 2021. (4-star, 6'-9", 180 lb., PF)

T.J. Madlock, Houston: The son of Memphis assistant Tony Madlock led Houston in assists, steals and points (16.3) last season. 

Christian Brothers' Chandler Jackson shoots over Briarcrest's Scooter Malone on Jan. 11, 2019. Jackson was first-team all-region as a freshman last season.

Christian Brothers' Chandler Jackson shoots over Briarcrest's Scooter Malone on Jan. 11, 2019. Jackson was first-team all-region as a freshman last season. (Photo: Joe Rondone/The Commercial Appeal)

Chandler Jackson, Christian Brothers: The first-team all-region selection averaged 15 points as a freshman last year. 

Marcellus Brigham, Briarcrest: The Jacksonville State commitment averaged 12.5 points, 6 rebounds and 1.4 assists last season during the Saints' state title run. 

Bo Montgomery, Lausanne: Montgomery averaged 12.7 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists last season. 

Johnathan DeJurnett, Lausanne: The 6-foot-8 Evansville commitment averaged a double-double last season with 13.4 points and 10 rebounds. 

Jesse Payne, Whitehaven: Payne helped Whitehaven make the Class AAA semifinals last year and averaged 16.6 points over Whitehaven's first five games.

Kavion McClain, Whitehaven: McClain averaged 20.4 points over Whitehaven's first five games.

901 HOOPS: Sign up to get our newsletter on all things basketball in Memphis

Edited by kwc

7 hours ago, TonyG said:

Will be alot of traffic through the city for the 21-23 classes.

Undoubtedly. I've been wondering how the next two U of M recruiting classes will look. RB going into the TP doesn't help with the number of schollies because he was a W/O. The U of M will have 3 to give when the one Sr graduates and Wiseman and Acheiwa leave for the league. If Green and Brown come next season, who do you suppose will be the 3rd recruit? Then the 21 class will have how many? 2? Will that be the PG at Briarcrest and the PF at Lausanne? Is that how you see it?

12 hours ago, kwc said:

Undoubtedly. I've been wondering how the next two U of M recruiting classes will look. RB going into the TP doesn't help with the number of schollies because he was a W/O. The U of M will have 3 to give when the one Sr graduates and Wiseman and Acheiwa leave for the league. If Green and Brown come next season, who do you suppose will be the 3rd recruit? Then the 21 class will have how many? 2? Will that be the PG at Briarcrest and the PF at Lausanne? Is that how you see it?

Cisse is supposedly trying to reclassify but it’ll be a lot of work for him to graduate in May. The roster changes in the next two years is a tough situation.

The emergence of Alo and Tyler in their second year has been a great surprise to the masses, not so much to the non-casuals. I say that because no matter the talent that was on those East and EYBL squads Alex would always find himself among the top in production. And Tyler's numbers haven’t changed much from last year, he's just shown he can produce in a lesser role more efficiently.

Without Lester's injury and James' eligibility, I would say it would be safe to say that Tyler may have entered the portal sometime this year also. But those guys sitting out has provided growth opportunities for the guys in their shadow if you say and shown coach that this group could work just the way it is. 

What makes the roster additions tough is knowing that you have two 4-year quality leaders in Lomax and Harris that are only sophomores. Baugh who is figuring the pace of the game out, Lester is solid, and Boogie is talented but not consistent (see Tyler's first go around but more talent and size). That's 5 guards that will be here on the average for at least another 2 years.

Do you really want to bring Green in and stunt someone’s growth or risk a transfer for 1 year of his stardom? If Chandler emerges as the one and done type before May 2020, is it realistic that he will come join a squad that has two seniors and two juniors that can all play the point guard position also? DJ Jeffries will also be a true wing candidate after an off season of refinement so there's another variable. 

There's always room for talent but sometimes it comes at an expense and the Kentucky way of doing things doesn't always yield the best results. I know I’ve done a lot of ranting and this isn’t a tiger forum, but this has been on my mind since the two guys have been out. I'm interested to see how Hardaway will develop this roster with it being so young and all the promises that have been made. 

9 hours ago, TonyG said:

Cisse is supposedly trying to reclassify but it’ll be a lot of work for him to graduate in May. The roster changes in the next two years is a tough situation.

The emergence of Alo and Tyler in their second year has been a great surprise to the masses, not so much to the non-casuals. I say that because no matter the talent that was on those East and EYBL squads Alex would always find himself among the top in production. And Tyler's numbers haven’t changed much from last year, he's just shown he can produce in a lesser role more efficiently.

Without Lester's injury and James' eligibility, I would say it would be safe to say that Tyler may have entered the portal sometime this year also. But those guys sitting out has provided growth opportunities for the guys in their shadow if you say and shown coach that this group could work just the way it is. 

What makes the roster additions tough is knowing that you have two 4-year quality leaders in Lomax and Harris that are only sophomores. Baugh who is figuring the pace of the game out, Lester is solid, and Boogie is talented but not consistent (see Tyler's first go around but more talent and size). That's 5 guards that will be here on the average for at least another 2 years.

Do you really want to bring Green in and stunt someone’s growth or risk a transfer for 1 year of his stardom? If Chandler emerges as the one and done type before May 2020, is it realistic that he will come join a squad that has two seniors and two juniors that can all play the point guard position also? DJ Jeffries will also be a true wing candidate after an off season of refinement so there's another variable. 

There's always room for talent but sometimes it comes at an expense and the Kentucky way of doing things doesn't always yield the best results. I know I’ve done a lot of ranting and this isn’t a tiger forum, but this has been on my mind since the two guys have been out. I'm interested to see how Hardaway will develop this roster with it being so young and all the promises that have been made. 

You're right, this isn't a Tiger forum, so I will keep this short. I think you bring Green in if you can get him, as well as Brown. You just do. Take those guys along with the addition of Stokes being eligible and you wreck havoc. The question remains however ... how many schollies will they have for 2021? It's a good problem to have ... considering.

From the article above and looking at the current schedules ... we are looking at Lausanne being the dominant D2 small and Briarcrest  being the dominant D2 large. Whitehaven and Houston loom like they will represent the AAA D1. Wooddale will rep the AA D1 and Mitchell the A D1. Who else in AA and A do we look at?