Memphis BB

TonyG

Memphis high school basketball: Boys Dandy Dozen

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 7:00 a.m. CT Jan. 23, 2018

NAS-Independence-vs.-Southwind-10.jpg

(Photo: Larry McCormack / The Tennessean, Southwind HC)

Here is this week's Commercial Appeal boys basketball Dandy Dozen. Rankings are based on games played through Jan. 20. Please note, SCIAA schools have until Wednesday to submit their make-up dates prompted by last week's school closures.

1. East (13-3)

Last week: 1

This week: Thursday vs. Whitehaven

2. Southwind (18-1)

Last week: 2

This week: Tuesday at Germantown; Friday vs. Kirby

3. Whitehaven (14-2)

Last week: 4

This week: Thursday at East

4. Hamilton (16-2)

Last week: 6

This week: Tuesday at Nashville Maplewood; Thursday vs. MLK Prep; Friday at Mitchell

5. Briarcrest (20-1)

Last week: 3

This week: Tuesday vs. Bartlett; Friday vs. St. Benedict

6. Cordova (14-6)

Last week: 7

This week: Wednesday vs. Bolton; Friday vs. Kingsbury

7. Olive Branch (12-4)

Last week: 5

This week: Tuesday vs. Lewisburg; Friday vs. Center Hill

8. CBHS (16-4)

Last week: 9

This week: Played Arlington Monday; Friday vs. MUS

9. Central (12-4)

Last week: 8

This week: Played Overton Monday; Thursday at White Station

10. Bolton (12-4)

Last week: 10

This week: Played Kingsbury Monday; Wednesday at Cordova; Friday at Bartlett

11. Douglass (11-1)

Last week: 12

This week: Tuesday at Memphis Business Academy; Thursday at MASE; Friday vs. Soulsville

12. Ridgeway (12-6)

Last week: NR

This week: Tuesday at Houston; Wednesday at Kirby; Friday vs. Collierville

Dropped out: Bartlett (12-6)

Bubbling under: Center Hill (14-5); Brighton (12-7); Covington (14-4); W.E.B. DuBois A&T (12-2); Fayette-Ware (13-5); Manassas (11-4)

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

• 3 weeks later...

Memphis high school basketball: Boys Dandy Dozen

The Commercial AppealPublished 8:00 a.m. CT Feb. 8, 2018

636493098165214221-memphis005.JPG

(Photo: Andrew West/The News-Press)

Here is this week's Commercial Appeal boys basketball Dandy Dozen. Rankings are based on games played through Feb. 7 and are final for the regular season.

1. East (20-3)

Last week: 1

Upcoming: Friday at Whitehaven; Saturday vs. TBD in SCIAA Class AAA county title game at White Station; District 16-AAA tournament begins next week

2. Southwind (23-1)

Last week: 2

Upcoming: Friday at Ridgeway; District 15-AAA tournament begins next week

3. Hamilton (21-2)

Last week: 3

Upcoming: Saturday vs. Mitchell in SCIAA Class AA county title game at White Station; District 16-AA tournament begins next week

4. Whitehaven (17-3)

Last week: 4

Upcoming: Friday vs. East; District 16-AAA tournament begins next week

5. Cordova (18-6)

Last week: 5

Upcoming: Friday vs. Bartlett; District 14-AAA tournament begins next week

6. Olive Branch (20-4)

Last week: 6

Upcoming: Region 1-5A tournament begins next week

7. Briarcrest (23-3)

Last week: 7

Upcoming: Friday vs. MUS; Tuesday vs. CBHS

8. Fayette-Ware (19-5)

Last week: 8

Upcoming: Friday vs. Covington; Saturday vs. Brownsville Haywood; Monday at Ripley; District 15-AA tournament begins next week

9. Bartlett (18-6)

Last week: 9

Upcoming: Friday at Cordova; District 14-AAA tournament begins next week

10. Douglass (19-1)

Last week: 11

Upcoming: Saturday vs. W.E.B. DuBois in SCIAA Class A county title game at White Station

11. Brighton (14-8)

Upcoming: Friday at Hardin County; Tuesday vs. Memphis Nighthawks; District 14-AAA tournament begins next week

12. W.E.B. DuBois (21-3)

Upcoming: Saturday vs. Douglass in SCIAA Class A county title game at White Station

Dropped out: CBHS (17-6); FACS (18-4)

Honorable mention: Bolton (13-7); MASE (17-5); Ridgeway (15-9); Covington (18-7); Harding (15-6)

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember the last time Memphis had teams in all three Division I boys classifications with such a good opportunity to win it all in all three. It is very possible that Memphis will get 2 teams in the single-A tourny, as well as in AAA.  

Edited by kwc

The Regionals are here! Here we go. Losers pack'em up in moth balls. Good Season! The winners advance.

Region 8 - A:

This Tuesday night, February 27, 2018 in Memphis there are some big sectional games to be played. According to the 2018 Class A Western Regional Boys Tournament bracket, there are two Region 8 games to be played at Westwood. The first game that is to be played at 6:00 PM is between Douglass and Manassas. The 2nd game is between MAHS and MASE. It's a District 15 thang! Because all four of the District 16 teams were eliminated in Round 1. I know this has to be disappointing for W.E.B. Debois!

So ... who you got?

I'm going with Douglass and MASE.

Region 8 - AA:

Again, this Tuesday in Memphis at Trezevant High school two big games are to be played. According to the 2018 Class AA Western Regional Boys bracket, the first game to be played at 6:00 PM is between Haywood and Mitchell. The 2nd game, that is scheduled to start at 7:45 PM is between Hamilton and Covington. Each contest pits a District 15 team against a District 16 team.

So .. who you got?

I'm rolling with Hamilton and Mitchell.

Region 7 - AAA:

According to the AAA bracket, The Region 7 games are to be played at Bolton High School. The 6:00 game is between Arlington and Bartlett. The 2nd game is between Cordova and Bolton. This is an all District 14 affair because all of the District 13 teams were eliminated in Round 1. I know Brighton feels like they should have done better. They only scored 39 points in that game. Wow!

So ... who do you got?

I'm rolling with Bartlett and Cordova.

Region 8 - AAA:

According to the same AAA bracket as mentioned above, the Region 8 AAA games are to be played at Whitehaven High School. The 1st game is between  Southwind and Whitehaven. The 2nd game is between East and Ridgeway. These are two games that pit District 15 teams against District 16 teams.

So ... who you got?

I'm rolling with  Whitehaven and East.

Edited by kwc

54 minutes ago, TonyG said:

Gonna be a tough call for Whitehaven to upset Southwind with Freeman playing so well and Murrell and Jones being out. Wouldn't shock if Faragi pulls it off tho.

I didn't know that Murrell and Jones were out. I assumed full compliment was available. That changes things.

9 hours ago, terop said:

Pretty good on those picks...

8 for 8 isn't chopped livver now is it? The Whitehaven win was really special. To be without 2 of your top players, and win by 13 against a team as solid as Southwind speaks volumes of the coaching and the young men who have bought-in to his way of doing things.

1 hour ago, kwc said:

8 for 8 isn't chopped livver now is it? The Whitehaven win was really special. To be without 2 of your top players, and win by 13 against a team as solid as Southwind speaks volumes of the coaching and the young men who have bought-in to his way of doing things.

So happy for those kids, wish Matthew and especially cam jones were apart of the victory but i know they are happy for their teammates. Been speaking good things of the 2020 class for whitehaven for a few years now and i think we will see it come into play now. I think cordova is a more manageable game than i thought southwind wouldve been bc of cordova not having a 6'7/8 big.