Memphis BB

TonyG

21 minutes ago, ReignofPurple said:

This is strictly my opinion but Faragi may very well be the best coach in the state. The way that he teaches his kids about not only basketball but growing up as a man.

Hard to say in the state bc i havent seen everyone, but he's up there top 3-5 i bet. I think i could give him the AAA nod for the area sure. Hubie Smith is a great one too. He was forever successful before Darius Garland back in his Bartlett days. But coach phillips is most definitely in the convo, 2 peat at mitchell and now doing excellent in his third year at whitehaven. Only lost to 3 teams this year Brentwood Briarcrest and East all favorites to make it to the state championship game.

3 hours ago, TonyG said:

Hard to say in the state bc i havent seen everyone, but he's up there top 3-5 i bet. I think i could give him the AAA nod for the area sure. Hubie Smith is a great one too. He was forever successful before Darius Garland back in his Bartlett days. But coach phillips is most definitely in the convo, 2 peat at mitchell and now doing excellent in his third year at whitehaven. Only lost to 3 teams this year Brentwood Briarcrest and East all favorites to make it to the state championship game.

I feel confident in saying this. I think it is only a matter of time before Coach Phillips can gather enough talent to compete for a state tittle in AAA while at Whitehaven. He's proven he can coach championship style basketball while he was at Mitchell winning two state championships back-to-back. He's proving now that he is a master of motivation as well as a very good tactiction. He has the goods to coach a team to a state championship in AAA. His players play for the front of the jersey and not the back. He is a molder of young men.

Edited by kwc

The Division I Regional Finals are tomorrow, Thursday, March 1, 2018. Let's take a look at each classification and make selections. All of the games are to be played at 7:00 PM.

DIvision I

Region 8 - A:

According to the 2018 Class A Western Regional Boys Tournament bracket, the Region 8 game is to be played at Westwood The two teams are Douglass and MASE. It's still a District 15 thang! 

So ... who you got?

I'm going with Douglass. 

Region 8 - AA:

According to the 2018 Class AA Western Regional Boys bracket, the game is between Mitchell and Hamilton  and it will be played at Trezevant.

So .. who you got?

I'm rolling with Hamilton.

Region 7 - AAA:

According to the AAA bracket, The Region 7 game is again, to be played at Boloton between Bartlett and Cordova

So ... who do you got?

I'm rolling with Cordova.

Region 8 - AAA:

According to the same AAA bracket as mentioned above, the Region 8 AAA game is being played at Whitehaven and will be between Whitehaven and East.  This is a Dirtict 16 thang!

So ... who you got?

I'm rolling with  East.

Division II

The Division II State Tounament Semi-finals are being played at Lipscomb University.

Class A:

According to the Div. II Class A State Championship Brackets, tomorrow, Thursday, March 1st,  the Class A teams play. The championship game is Saturday, March 3rd. The Memphis team that is playing is Lausanne, the reigning state champ from last year. They play Knoxville Webb at 2:45 PM All of the teams involved are 24 + win teams. I'm going to pick Lausanne to win it all, just to be a homer and because I don't really know much about any of the teams involved.

Class AA:

According to the Div. II Class AA State CHampionship Brackets, the semifinals are played on Friday. There are two Memphis teams involed in this tournament. First, Baylor will play Briarcrest at 11:30 AM. I'm rolling with Briarcrest in that game. The next game will be between Brentwood Acadamey and MUS at 2:45 PM. I'm going with BA in that one.

The Championship game will be played Saturday at 7:30 PM. I'm predicting that BA will win against Briarcrest in that one as well.

Edited by kwc

Douglas Hamilton and East winning it all. Shelby county trifecta! 

Got faith in Whitehaven beating Bartlett and making it to the boro also for a good experience for a young team and veteran coach. The tigers will be there for the next 3 years, but idk if they will make it to the championship this year. 

On 2/28/2018 at 6:43 PM, kwc said:

The Division I Regional Finals are tomorrow, Thursday, March 1, 2018. Let's take a look at each classification and make selections. All of the games are to be played at 7:00 PM.

DIvision I

Region 8 - A:

According to the 2018 Class A Western Regional Boys Tournament bracket, the Region 8 game is to be played at Westwood The two teams are Douglass and MASE. It's still a District 15 thang! 

So ... who you got?

I'm going with Douglass. 

Region 8 - AA:

According to the 2018 Class AA Western Regional Boys bracket, the game is between Mitchell and Hamilton  and it will be played at Trezevant.

So .. who you got?

I'm rolling with Hamilton.

Region 7 - AAA:

According to the AAA bracket, The Region 7 game is again, to be played at Boloton between Bartlett and Cordova

So ... who do you got?

I'm rolling with Cordova.

Region 8 - AAA:

According to the same AAA bracket as mentioned above, the Region 8 AAA game is being played at Whitehaven and will be between Whitehaven and East.  This is a Dirtict 16 thang!

So ... who you got?

I'm rolling with  East.

Division II

The Division II State Tounament Semi-finals are being played at Lipscomb University.

Class A:

According to the Div. II Class A State Championship Brackets, tomorrow, Thursday, March 1st,  the Class A teams play. The championship game is Saturday, March 3rd. The Memphis team that is playing is Lausanne, the reigning state champ from last year. They play Knoxville Webb at 2:45 PM All of the teams involved are 24 + win teams. I'm going to pick Lausanne to win it all, just to be a homer and because I don't really know much about any of the teams involved.

Class AA:

According to the Div. II Class AA State CHampionship Brackets, the semifinals are played on Friday. There are two Memphis teams involed in this tournament. First, Baylor will play Briarcrest at 11:30 AM. I'm rolling with Briarcrest in that game. The next game will be between Brentwood Acadamey and MUS at 2:45 PM. I'm going with BA in that one.

The Championship game will be played Saturday at 7:30 PM. I'm predicting that BA will win against Briarcrest in that one as well.

Well, I went 3-3 with my selections from yesterday. Briarcrest lost 45-44 to Baylor. If BA beats MUS, then i'm 4-3 on my selections. Some interesting games yesterday. According to John Varlas' twitter feed, Bartlett beat Cordova in four (4) overtimes. Tyler Harris fouled out in the game. Douglass was down 22 points at one point before making a comback to win by 6 in two (2) overtimes. The Hamilton/Mitchell game final score was 40-24, Hamilton. According to JV's twitter, Mitchell held the ball for the entire 1st quarter. The score at the half was Hamilton 11, Mitchell 6.

There is still a regional final game to be played tonight in Class A. Humbolt vs Middleton. Class AA and AAA  played last night. All sectional games will be played on Monday. That's when I will make my selections so that I can do them all at once for all of the teams involved.

AA Sectionals:

Hamilton will host S. Gibson and Jackson Southside will host Mitchell.

AAA Sectionals:

East will host Cordova and Bartlett will host Whitehaven

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, TonyG said:

Douglas Hamilton and East winning it all. Shelby county trifecta! 

Got faith in Whitehaven beating Bartlett and making it to the boro also for a good experience for a young team and veteran coach. The tigers will be there for the next 3 years, but idk if they will make it to the championship this year. 

Got to be concerned with Douglass winning in the manner to which they did win. However, MASE has seen them a few times this year and had time to prepare something for them. On the flip side, Douglassdid  persevere and grinded out a double overtime victory, all the while, overcoming a 22 point deficit in the process. If that doesn't show the charater of your team, I don't know what will. If you are the Douglass coach ... you have to be pleased with this type of win, especially at this time of the year.

Edited by kwc

Coach {Phillips is an excellent coach. His attention to detail and game prep is outstanding. If there was no Penny WH would be dominating AAA. But I cant leave out coach Turner. Only been a head coach for 3 years and holding his own. Our talent level this year is not as close as it has been.  After moving up to AA he has us 1 win from being back in the glass house. Like WH you better get us this year.

Well, essentially, the State Tournament starts tonight. Win and advance into the State Tournament play-off field. Lose, and it's time for spring sports.

None of the Memphis private schools made any noise. Lausanne, CBHS, MUS, and Briarcrest all had good seasons though.

Now it's time for the public schools. Let's see what they get done.

Class A:

MASE (20-6) goes to Middleton 25-4). The home court advantage goes to Middleton. Middleton beat a fellow District 15 team, MAHS, earlier in the season by 7 points. MASDE has had 3 games this season where they lost by 1 point. They are pretty competative. They had Douglass down big on Thursday, only to let them come back and win in double OT. I woudn't be surprised if MASE pulls off the upset.

Middleton

Humbolt (22-11) travels to Douglass (29-1). Home court advantage goes to Douglass. Humbolt has had a nice season. Went to a turkey day tourny and went 1-3. Went to a Chrictmas tourney and went 1-3. Middleton has had their number all year. split with Trinity on the year and beat S. Gibson both times they played. Douglass has only lost once. Most of their vitories have been convincing. They hade had 2 games this season where they won by 1 point. One of those teams is MASE. Their only loss is to Class AAA Cordova, which they lost by 11. I would be surprised if Humbolt wins this game.

Douglass

Class AA:

Mitchell (23-12) will visit Jackson South Side (20-8). JSS has the home court advantage. Four (4) of Mitchell's losses have come from Hamilton, ergo, the hold the ball stratagey in the last game. They have also lost to two AAA teams that are currently playing in Sectionals today. Memphis East and Whitehaven. They lost to another AAA team that everyone thought would advance to the Sectionals in Southwind. They've played a really tough schedule. Jackson SS started the year kind of slow, and then riped off 10 straight wins. Proceded to lose the next 4 out of 5, then ripped off 7 straight after that to end the season. They are really good and this game, in my eyes, is a pick'em.

Mitchell

S. Gibson (24-10) will come up the road to play Hamilton (30-2). SG has lost twice to Humbolt, twice to Dyersburg, 3 out of 4 time to Crocket County, and a couple of losses in a Christmas toiurnament. Hamilton has won 1-2 with Class AAA Ridgeway, and they lost to a school out of Arkansas on a neutral court in early December. They have beaten AAA Cordoava, who travels to Memphis East in today's sectionals, twice on the season. They are undefeated in district play. The last game they played, their opponent held the ball for the entire 1st quarter, and they still won that game by 16 points. They have played bigger programs such as Cordova, Ridgeway, and Memphis Central, as well as, some good smaller programs such as W.E.B. Dubois. They are the prohibitive favorite and should win.

Hamilton

Class AAA:

Cordova (23-7) goes to East (27-3). Home court advantage goes to East. Doesn't matter where this game is played, East will win convincingly.

East

Whitehaven (20-6) invades Bartlett (22-8). Bartlett has the home court advantage. Bartlett started off the season 3-2. After that they put together strings of victories. Win 4, lose 1. Win 4, lose 1. Etc. They have played Cordova four (4) times this season going 1-4. The lone victory being this past Thursday. They will host a Whitehaven team that has lost to East four 94) times this season. The other two losses are to a very good Briarcrest team that lost in the semi-finals of the DII AA state playoffs, and to Brentwood Acadamey, the team that won the DII AA state championship. I think Whitehaven has played tougher competition, beating nationally ranked Huntingdon Prep, as well as, winning 2-3 in the Next Level Classic hosted by CPA, as well as, beating a very good Olive Branch team. 

Whitehaven

On 3/5/2018 at 0:59 PM, kwc said:

Well, essentially, the State Tournament starts tonight. Win and advance into the State Tournament play-off field. Lose, and it's time for spring sports.

None of the Memphis private schools made any noise. Lausanne, CBHS, MUS, and Briarcrest all had good seasons though.

Now it's time for the public schools. Let's see what they get done.

Class A:

MASE (20-6) goes to Middleton 25-4). The home court advantage goes to Middleton. Middleton beat a fellow District 15 team, MAHS, earlier in the season by 7 points. MASDE has had 3 games this season where they lost by 1 point. They are pretty competative. They had Douglass down big on Thursday, only to let them come back and win in double OT. I woudn't be surprised if MASE pulls off the upset.

Middleton

Humbolt (22-11) travels to Douglass (29-1). Home court advantage goes to Douglass. Humbolt has had a nice season. Went to a turkey day tourny and went 1-3. Went to a Chrictmas tourney and went 1-3. Middleton has had their number all year. split with Trinity on the year and beat S. Gibson both times they played. Douglass has only lost once. Most of their vitories have been convincing. They hade had 2 games this season where they won by 1 point. One of those teams is MASE. Their only loss is to Class AAA Cordova, which they lost by 11. I would be surprised if Humbolt wins this game.

Douglass

Class AA:

Mitchell (23-12) will visit Jackson South Side (20-8). JSS has the home court advantage. Four (4) of Mitchell's losses have come from Hamilton, ergo, the hold the ball stratagey in the last game. They have also lost to two AAA teams that are currently playing in Sectionals today. Memphis East and Whitehaven. They lost to another AAA team that everyone thought would advance to the Sectionals in Southwind. They've played a really tough schedule. Jackson SS started the year kind of slow, and then riped off 10 straight wins. Proceded to lose the next 4 out of 5, then ripped off 7 straight after that to end the season. They are really good and this game, in my eyes, is a pick'em.

Mitchell

S. Gibson (24-10) will come up the road to play Hamilton (30-2). SG has lost twice to Humbolt, twice to Dyersburg, 3 out of 4 time to Crocket County, and a couple of losses in a Christmas toiurnament. Hamilton has won 1-2 with Class AAA Ridgeway, and they lost to a school out of Arkansas on a neutral court in early December. They have beaten AAA Cordoava, who travels to Memphis East in today's sectionals, twice on the season. They are undefeated in district play. The last game they played, their opponent held the ball for the entire 1st quarter, and they still won that game by 16 points. They have played bigger programs such as Cordova, Ridgeway, and Memphis Central, as well as, some good smaller programs such as W.E.B. Dubois. They are the prohibitive favorite and should win.

Hamilton

Class AAA:

Cordova (23-7) goes to East (27-3). Home court advantage goes to East. Doesn't matter where this game is played, East will win convincingly.

East

Whitehaven (20-6) invades Bartlett (22-8). Bartlett has the home court advantage. Bartlett started off the season 3-2. After that they put together strings of victories. Win 4, lose 1. Win 4, lose 1. Etc. They have played Cordova four (4) times this season going 1-4. The lone victory being this past Thursday. They will host a Whitehaven team that has lost to East four 94) times this season. The other two losses are to a very good Briarcrest team that lost in the semi-finals of the DII AA state playoffs, and to Brentwood Acadamey, the team that won the DII AA state championship. I think Whitehaven has played tougher competition, beating nationally ranked Huntingdon Prep, as well as, winning 2-3 in the Next Level Classic hosted by CPA, as well as, beating a very good Olive Branch team. 

Whitehaven

Well ... I went 4-6. Not too shabby. 66.67% I will do the same for the Tournament aftert those brakets come out.

It's Ganeday! Wedesday, March 14th. The following games are being played that involve teams from Memphis:

AAA:

Game 1)    Whitehaven (22-6) vs Powell (22-11) @ 10 AM.  

Final: Whitehaven 56, Powell 36

Game 3)    East (26-3)  vs Blackman(32-0) at 1:15 PM.

A:

Game 2)    Douglass (30-1) vs Clay Co. (21-12) at 6 PM

My selections are Whitehaven, East, and Douglass. All of these will be good games. 

Edited by kwc