Da Haven

dannyq

• 2 weeks later...

The Commercial Appeal: Arkansas commit Martavius French is No. 7 on Dandy Dozen

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/08/03/arkansas-football-recruiting-martavius-french-memphis-dandy-dozen-whitehaven/1847325001/

c601e88c-3fcf-4492-8908-b577ffab2f45-Mar

Whitehaven's Martavius French has every reason to be happy. He's the reigning defensive player of the year in his region, and he recently committed to Arkansas after also fielding offers from programs such as LSU and Florida.

But French's typically jovial and lively demeanor — barking out to teammates and joking with them after a summer practice — quickly changed when he was asked what his goals are for the season.

"A state championship," French said. "Make sure I stay healthy, make sure I take care of my books so I can be eligible for college. That's about it, just be a great team player."

French, a four-star inside linebacker, is No. 7 on The Commercial Appeal's inaugural 2019 Dandy Dozen, a collection of the top 12 college football prospects for the Class of 2020 from the Mid-South as picked by the newspaper.

He's the No. 11 player in the state, according to the 247Sports Composite, the No. 15 inside linebacker in the nation and the No. 340 overall player.

7c473806-1d3e-40b9-ae09-c1e20628c889-Mar

“The school I’m choosing, it’s been seeming like home for the past six, seven months," said French, just days before he announced his decision in a video posted on Twitter. "So I might as well go ahead and give myself to them because they’ve been giving themselves to me.”

Whitehaven made it to last year's Class 6A championship game but was shut out by Oakland.

French, a 6-foot-2, 240-pound linebacker, will again be one of the focal points of Whitehaven's defense.

d6fba2c6-1ec3-4a73-ac3a-082a85f189a8-Mar

"Martavius is more of the spirited one," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry. "He's going to be running and jumping and bouncing around and all those kinds of things."

What makes French stand out to Saulsberry more than anything is his room for improvement, despite his many accolades and accomplishments. Saulsberry mentioned that French won't turn 18 until next July.

French recalled his earliest playing days in third grade when he said he was overweight and forced to play on the line, then returned the next year in better shape and showcased his athleticism at wide receiver.

French's Twitter handle — @ypcjuice2 — and his bio feature the acronym, "YPC," short for "Young Paper Chaser," a reference from Baton Rouge rapper NBA YoungBoy, one of his favorite artists.

The meaning? Someone who is motivated to work for what is in front of him, no matter what it takes.

Reach Commercial Appeal staff writer Daniel Oyefusi at daniel.oyefusi@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter at @DanielOyefusi.

Edited by kwc

The Commercial Appeal: Whitehaven LB Bryson Eason is No. 6 on Dandy Dozen

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/08/04/football-recruiting-bryson-eason-memphis-dandy-dozen-whitehaven/1847339001/

7c675f70-4cac-4eff-9a65-259c53e9c98e-Bry

Bryson Eason missed eight games this past season with injuries that included a high ankle and Achilles sprain and a hyperextended shoulder.

He was on the field for Whitehaven's shutout loss in the Class 6A state title game, the sting of which still lingers as he prepares for his senior season.

The four-star Class of 2020 linebacker prospect not only feels physically stronger, but also mentally sharper.

“I just looked at it as a learning thing, to be patient," Eason said of his injuries. "And also be patient with myself and just learn the game or watch some of my peers. Like watching (senior Whitehaven linebacker) Martavius (French) ball and see how he does things differently and how he gets his job done to improve my game. … It makes me wiser and a better football player.”

bc774d05-bf78-4b29-a9cc-cdd652f8bcf6-Bry

Eason is No. 6 on The Commercial Appeal's inaugural 2019 Dandy Dozen, a collection of the top 12 college football prospects for the Class of 2020 from the Mid-South as picked by the newspaper.

He is the No. 12 player in the state, according to the 247Sports Composite, the No. 16 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 344 overall player.

As a sophomore, Eason was awarded region defensive player of the year. He holds offers from schools such as Oklahoma, Ole Miss and Arkansas but said he is not in a rush to make a decision.

“If I could, I’d take the whole of Whitehaven to college, but I can’t,” Eason said with a laugh.

Eason said he is drawing inspiration from his freshman year, when he watched the then-seniors lead Whitehaven to an undefeated season, en route to capturing the Class 6A title.

"All my teammates, we’re humbled because of last year, how we ended our season with 37-0 (loss to Oakland)," Eason said. "So I think everybody’s hungry. Hungry mindset, everybody’s unselfish. We’re all trying to eat together. We all have the same goal in our mind. I think we’re pushing each other each and every day to conquer our goal.”

025c731a-ee2f-4868-9af8-00c72473fc98-Bry

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound Eason said he's "probably one of the softest dudes at heart, one of my favorite rappers is Drake." But Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said Eason still garners respect from his teammates.

“Bryson, he speaks, and when he speaks, it resonates," said Saulsberry.

Eason said the opportunity to play college football is about more than just him. He said he couldn't have imagined what he would become when he was younger.

"I was just a kid out there playing the game that I love and just getting better at it every day," Eason said. "I just look at it like it’s a real blessing because there’s people out here that wish and dream about what I have. I just cherish that moment every day.

“I look at everything on the bright side. I’m just a positive guy, loving guy, care about everyone. I know things are bigger than me, it’s bigger than Bryson. I’m mean out (on the field). But out of football, I’m a cool dude.”

Reach Commercial Appeal staff writer Daniel Oyefusi at daniel.oyefusi@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter at @DanielOyefusi

Edited by kwc