Da Haven

dannyq

4 hours ago, TrenchDawg said:

Because you shouldnt be 2-2. The havens lack of ability to score is atrocious. 

2-2 is 2-2. No reason to change the OC. You win some. You lose some. 

The HC isn't going to dump the OC when the team is batting 500 in the championship game. It's not going to happen, no matter how much folk complain. Not at 500.

13 hours ago, kwc said:

The HC isn't going to dump the OC when the team is batting 500 in the championship game. It's not going to happen, no matter how much folk complain. Not at 500.

Idk what boosters you talk to but he's definitely closer to getting the AXE then you think...

On 1/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, kwc said:

Records shouldn't always be the determining factor. Good coaches lose games to superior talent all the time, and superior talent usually wins with subpar coaching until the talent level is balanced out. Bet if you wanted to spend the time to see if I'm right, that Whitehaven has sent more and better talent to the next level than any other school in state over the past several seasons... maybe it's close with a handful of the powerhouse privates, and maybe not. With the talent level on the field, the Tigers ought to be within a coin flip of the best out there every season at worst, and untouchable at best.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, kwc said:

Well this isnt baseball, .500 is not very good in football. Something to be happy about getting there. But at what point are you tired of losing for the same reason? 

7 hours ago, TrenchDawg said:

Well this isnt baseball, .500 is not very good in football. Something to be happy about getting there. But at what point are you tired of losing for the same reason? 

First, I'm just answering for the sake of argument's sake. I'm not the OC's advocate nor am I his detractor. I'm just looking at this from a different perspective. Whitehaven has lost two championship games to Oakland and Maryville. Whitehaven has won two championship games against Oakland and Maryville. Whether or not Whitehaven SHOULD have won three and lost one or undefeated or been in more championship games are all debatable points, but the facts are the facts.

I don't think the HC is going to dump the OC because other folks think that he should with the track record they have. I'm not at practice everyday. I'm not in the locker room and I'm not in the meetings with the coaches. I just attend games on Friday nights. Yes, I hear folks complain, but there is always going to be someone, for whatever reason, that is going to be unhappy about something. I just don't get the impression that the HC is going to throw away years of working side by side with someone easily. There are always going to be disgruntled fans and parents, it comes with the job. 

Like I said, I'm not at the school everyday, so I don't know the inner workings.  But I don't see the HC firing the current O.C. because they lost in the quarterfinals or for whatever reason folks are complaining about the O.C. It may happen, and if it does, I'll be shocked.

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Records shouldn't always be the determining factor. Good coaches lose games to superior talent all the time, and superior talent usually wins with subpar coaching until the talent level is balanced out. Bet if you wanted to spend the time to see if I'm right, that Whitehaven has sent more and better talent to the next level than any other school in state over the past several seasons... maybe it's close with a handful of the powerhouse privates, and maybe not. With the talent level on the field, the Tigers ought to be within a coin flip of the best out there every season at worst, and untouchable at best.

Records are how you keep score. Sure, there are other metrics, but everything else is just subjective impressions that can be twisted to best fit the POV of an argument being made.

Talent levels being what they are ... Whitehaven has had it's fair share, but they are never alone. However, I've said this a thousand times and I will continue to say it ... Whitehaven has sent a lot of players to next level because of the process in place to do so.  It is a deliberate goal and the work involved is more then most coaches want to commit to doing.  It's just convenient to make a statement like that about a coin flip, but in actuality, when you get to the top level of 6A ... everybody has talent and good coaching. That's why you see the same teams in the end. It's always going to be a battle from the quarters on in.

4 hours ago, kwc said:

Records are how you keep score. Sure, there are other metrics, but everything else is just subjective impressions that can be twisted to best fit the POV of an argument being made.

Talent levels being what they are ... Whitehaven has had it's fair share, but they are never alone. However, I've said this a thousand times and I will continue to say it ... Whitehaven has sent a lot of players to next level because of the process in place to do so.  It is a deliberate goal and the work involved is more then most coaches want to commit to doing.  It's just convenient to make a statement like that about a coin flip, but in actuality, when you get to the top level of 6A ... everybody has talent and good coaching. That's why you see the same teams in the end. It's always going to be a battle from the quarters on in.

Not buying it. I appreciate that the WH coaches make it a high priority for their players to be advertised, but if they were just better than average, DI schools wouldn't offer, and you wouldn't graduate eight or ten scholarships off the team most years. Maryville is the "king" of 6A football, and Whitehaven consistently has bigger, faster, and more athletic kids in just about every position on the field... why are they better than Whitehaven? Superior coaching. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Not buying it. I appreciate that the WH coaches make it a high priority for their players to be advertised, but if they were just better than average, DI schools wouldn't offer, and you wouldn't graduate eight or ten scholarships off the team most years. Maryville is the "king" of 6A football, and Whitehaven consistently has bigger, faster, and more athletic kids in just about every position on the field... why are they better than Whitehaven? Superior coaching. 

And Maryville, Oakland, and Ravenwood don't send players to D1 Schools?

Don't get it twisted. Yes, WH has sent players to D1 schools. No more then Oakland or Ravenwood each year. We also focus on D2, D3, and the like. WH has built a rep with the UT Martin's of the world, as well, by the hustle of the WH HC. You don't have to buy it but do some research and discover how the man operates ... You will be amazed.

Maryville does what they do as a result of talent and coaching. You don't do what they've done without it. They don't have the amount of kids going to the next level like WH because it is not that high of a priority for them, like it is at WH. It just isn't even close.

That being stated, I don't think that there is going to be a change at the OC position at WH.

3 hours ago, kwc said:

And Maryville, Oakland, and Ravenwood don't send players to D1 Schools?

Don't get it twisted. Yes, WH has sent players to D1 schools. No more then Oakland or Ravenwood each year. We also focus on D2, D3, and the like. WH has built a rep with the UT Martin's of the world, as well, by the hustle of the WH HC. You don't have to buy it but do some research and discover how the man operates ... You will be amazed.

Maryville does what they do as a result of talent and coaching. You don't do what they've done without it. They don't have the amount of kids going to the next level like WH because it is not that high of a priority for them, like it is at WH. It just isn't even close.

That being stated, I don't think that there is going to be a change at the OC position at WH.

I am enjoying this conversation. Really interesting to hear different points of view regarding the topic. One question. You say that Maryville doesn’t send the amount of kids to the next level like Whitehaven does because it is not that high of a priority. How do you know that?  I admit you may be right but I have no clue. Just curious your thoughts.