Da Haven

dannyq

On 7/30/2018 at 10:33 AM, kwc said:

UPDATE: The season is here & the @WhitehavenTiger football schedule is finally complete. Come out & support your Tigers on our road to State. Hard work pays off. The T.e.a.m., the T.e.a.m., the T.e.a.m #respectthehaven #onegoal

DjL-1ZNUUAIlPSv.jpg

Whitehaven play North Little Rock @ NLR on September 14. Whitehaven has an Out-of-State Travel Game to a very good football program BACK on the schedule! (North Little Rock are the Arkansas 2018, Class 7A, State Champs)

Yes! I love it! Little Rock is just a two hour drive from Memphis!

This year’s game between @LausanneFB and @WhitehavenTiger has been moved to Thursday, Sept. 6 and will be played at Rhodes. Let’s get a huge crowd for the biggest, most compelling matchup in the state.

Edited by kwc

On paper this years  whitehaven team has the most talent in the state. I imagine it’s the most talent they have had on a team in quite some time.

we shall see if they can pull it all together. Transfers helped —will need better qb play and if lines play to their potential this is a team that can win it all

if they gel my pick for 6 a this year 

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

8 hours ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

On paper this years  whitehaven team has the most talent in the state. I imagine it’s the most talent they have had on a team in quite some time.

we shall see if they can pull it all together. Transfers helped —will need better qb play and if lines play to their potential this is a team that can win it all

if they gel my pick for 6 a this year 

Agreed on point number 1. I cant remember any other Whitehaven team in the past to have this many student athletes with pre-season offers. We've had teams that were loaded with talent that perhaps didn't manifest with scholarship offers until later on in the season for undergrads. However, a lot of the exposure these young men are getting now is a result of Coach Saulsberry's work to get his players seen. Things have just culminated to this point, because colleges don't offer just because a coach tries to get hisplayers exposed. The talent has to be evident.

Agreed on point number 2. Transfers with SEC offers do help, but, chemistry, knowledge of the system, and camaraderie are all just as important, if not more, then talent alone. Can they jell into one unit? I think the coaching staff does a great job of getting the young men to buy-in, but it takes time for things to ferment and settle. New team mates. New environment. New level of expectation. Time and adversity will tell.

Agreed on point number 3. QB play and line play are critical components. Doesn't matter what Whitehaven has on the wings if the QB can't complete passes to them because he is either inaccurate or running for his life. The QB has stedily improved during his tenure as the QB. I think he continues in the vein. Line play is always just as key as QB play. Can't win the big games without either.

All of that being stated. There are other 6A teams that are loded with talent. WHitehaven has a mass abundance on paper ... but Maryville, Oakland, Mt. Juliet, Cane Ridge, and Blackman, to name a few, also have studs galore. Whitehaven isn't the only team with a lot of talent on it's roster in 6A. Here locally, Germantown and Central have plenty of studs on those teams. White Station's cupboards aren't bare either.

On paper, Whitehaven has the most. That's just on paper though. Whitehaven hasn't dominated a scrimmage. Whitehaven scrimmaged 5A Southwind in the spring, 6A Starkville from MS and D2-AAA MUS this summer. Mind you, they are scrimmages and different coaches look at different things during scrimmages. All three of those programs mentioned are very good programs with talent galore and good coaching to boot. So a scrimmage can't be looked upon as being indicitive of how the team will be come fall. However, it is aparent that there is still work to do. But, that can be said for every team. SO, we will see.

Don't get me wrong ... I am excited about this year's team. But I know it is a process. I'm looking forward to the season. I'm just hoping that the young men on this team don't put the cart before the horse and come out and play to their potential.

Edited by kwc

9 hours ago, kwc said:

Agreed on point number 1. I cant remember any other Whitehaven team in the past to have this many student athletes with pre-season offers. We've had teams that were loaded with talent that perhaps didn't manifest with scholarship offers until later on in the season for undergrads. However, a lot of the exposure these young men are getting now is a result of Coach Saulsberry's work to get his players seen. Things have just culminated to this point, because colleges don't offer just because a coach tries to get hisplayers exposed. The talent has to be evident.

Agreed on point number 2. Transfers with SEC offers do help, but, chemistry, knowledge of the system, and camaraderie are all just as important, if not more, then talent alone. Can they jell into one unit? I think the coaching staff does a great job of getting the young men to buy-in, but it takes time for things to ferment and settle. New team mates. New environment. New level of expectation. Time and adversity will tell.

Agreed on point number 3. QB play and line play are critical components. Doesn't matter what Whitehaven has on the wings if the QB can't complete passes to them because he is either inaccurate or running for his life. The QB has stedily improved during his tenure as the QB. I think he continues in the vein. Line play is always just as key as QB play. Can't win the big games without either.

All of that being stated. There are other 6A teams that are loded with talent. WHitehaven has a mass abundance on paper ... but Maryville, Oakland, Mt. Juliet, Cane Ridge, and Blackman, to name a few, also have studs galore. Whitehaven isn't the only team with a lot of talent on it's roster in 6A. Here locally, Germantown and Central have plenty of studs on those teams. White Station's cupboards aren't bare either.

On paper, Whitehaven has the most. That's just on paper though. Whitehaven hasn't dominated a scrimmage. Whitehaven scrimmaged 5A Southwind in the spring, 6A Starkville from MS and D2-AAA MUS this summer. Mind you, they are scrimmages and different coaches look at different things during scrimmages. All three of those programs mentioned are very good programs with talent galore and good coaching to boot. So a scrimmage can't be looked upon as being indicitive of how the team will be come fall. However, it is aparent that there is still work to do. But, that can be said for every team. SO, we will see.

Don't get me wrong ... I am excited about this year's team. But I know it is a process. I'm looking forward to the season. I'm just hoping that the young men on this team don't put the cart before the horse and come out and play to their potential.

My prediction this year is whitrhaven goes undefeated and a top 10 national ranking by end of year.

I May be wrong but you guys have once in a decade talent on this team. Oakland has talent too , cane ridge is top 5 and Maryville is always good so who knows this early. if you guys can put it together this is a top team statewide and nationally.

i hope saulsberry can pull it all together and get everyone clicking. Would be fun to see a team with so much talent click on all cylinders.

long season as we all know - hope I didn’t jinx you guys. 

But that’s my 2 cents and pick this year. I’ll gladly eat crow if I am wrong 

15 hours ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

My prediction this year is whitrhaven goes undefeated and a top 10 national ranking by end of year.

I May be wrong but you guys have once in a decade talent on this team. Oakland has talent too , cane ridge is top 5 and Maryville is always good so who knows this early. if you guys can put it together this is a top team statewide and nationally.

i hope saulsberry can pull it all together and get everyone clicking. Would be fun to see a team with so much talent click on all cylinders.

long season as we all know - hope I didn’t jinx you guys. 

But that’s my 2 cents and pick this year. I’ll gladly eat crow if I am wrong 

BBD1976:

I'm not mad atcha at all. 

Whitehaven football motivated by Class 6A semifinal loss to Cane Ridge

Pete Wickham, For the Commercial AppealPublished 7:00 a.m. CT Aug. 10, 2018

Whitehaven's Bryson Eason (middle) along with his teammates
(Whitehaven LB Bryson Eason)
Whitehaven Football

(Whitehaven's Coromantae Hamilton)

Every day they step onto the practice field, or into the weight room at Whitehaven,  Cormontae Hamilton said there’s an invisible post-it note being passed around.

“Memo says, ‘Don’t get ahead of yourself,’ ” said the Ohio State commitment.  “We did that last year, and in came disappointment.”

The Tigers thought they were in position to sweep to a fourth state Class 6A final in six years.

In the bag.

Then they got bagged by Cane Ridge, 14-7, and Hamilton said, “that’s the motivation we come in with every day.”

Whitehaven hard coach Rodney Saulsberry watches his

Whitehaven hard coach Rodney Saulsberry watches his during a recent practice.  (Photo: Mark Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

That motivation excites Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry. “This group competes and challenges each other every day in practice,” he said. “They want to compete, to be better every play. You get that and you give yourselves a chance.”

Hiccups aside, Saulsberry’s Tiger dynasty is alive and very well, thank you. They have won two state titles since 2010, failed to reach the semifinals once and have a record of 101-12 after logging an 11-3 mark last season.

National Signing Day will once again stretch tables across the school auditorium stage with a dozen or so seniors set to move on to the next level.

But the scary part of this Tiger team is that the junior class may be what drives it. Especially a linebacking corps led by Bryson Eason, a first-team Commercial Appeal All-Metro pick last year, and second-teamer Martavius French.

“The linebackers will stir the drink for us,” Saulsberry said of the group, which also includes seniors Tyler Hunter and Maleek Thornton.

On offense, junior Keyshawn Harris is pressing for time at the quarterback spot held last year by senior Vincent Guy. Whoever is there will have a sizeable number of athletic targets, such as Hamilton, Vanderbilt commit Devin Boddie plus transfer and South Carolina commit Keveon Mullins, an All-Metro first-teamer at East last year.

The line is anchored by senior Melvin McBride, a Top 10 prospect in the state on the 247Sports list.

“Defense wins championships, but we have the potential to score as well,” Saulsberry said. “If we can be efficient on offense and capitalize on opportunities in the red zone we can score some points, and win with the defense we have.”

The momentum never seems to stop, and Hamilton and Hunter will tell you that it’s because Saulsberry, his staff – and the school’s sizeable heritage never stops.

“You set the expectation and establish the standard for your work starting in the classroom,” Saulsberry said. “Each year is brand new but you have the same goal, the same result in mind.”

Edited by kwc