William blount offseason thread

Before I forget here are the names of those players on the first Lanier team in 1947. This info was from a friend that went to school there at the time that told me the kids had to provide the money for the most part to buy their own uniforms which didn't allow him to be part of the team because money was very hard to come by in those day's.

2hn1gcx.jpg

12 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Before I forget here are the names of those players on the first Lanier team in 1947. This info was from a friend that went to school there at the time that told me the kids had to provide the money for the most part to buy their own uniforms which didn't allow him to be part of the team because money was very hard to come by in those day's.

2hn1gcx.jpg

The 3rd column....second from the top....Well they don't come much better......I know you will agree...

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Friendsville did have a very good year in their last season with an 8-3 record and Lanier was 6-4 the same year. Lanier didn't start football until 1947 and because the school was so small it was hard to get that many kids out for football. Friendsville started in 1954 and played 25 years of football with a record of 103-129-10. During the same 25 years Lanier was 120-114-12.  If we go back to 1950 Lanier was 127-137-14. Lanier also was 14-9-2 in their 25 year history with Friendsville. Lanier in all the time they played football until 1958 didn't even have a home field and played all their games away. If you look at the last three years Friendsville was 2-8,1-9 and 8-3. Lanier was 9-2, 8-2 and 6-4. Friendsville was 11-20 and Lanier 23-8. Lanier's first football team in 1947 in the picture below. 6h5ct3.jpg

I knew the answer, I was putting up a smokescreen. Big Larry Satterfield was one of my coaches.

10 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Friendsville did have a very good year in their last season with an 8-3 record and Lanier was 6-4 the same year. Lanier didn't start football until 1947 and because the school was so small it was hard to get that many kids out for football. Friendsville started in 1954 and played 25 years of football with a record of 103-129-10. During the same 25 years Lanier was 120-114-12.  If we go back to 1950 Lanier was 127-137-14. Lanier also was 14-9-2 in their 25 year history with Friendsville. Lanier in all the time they played football until 1958 didn't even have a home field and played all their games away. If you look at the last three years Friendsville was 2-8,1-9 and 8-3. Lanier was 9-2, 8-2 and 6-4. Friendsville was 11-20 and Lanier 23-8. Lanier's first football team in 1947 in the picture below. 6h5ct3.jpg

What were their record against Greenback?

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

What were their record against Greenback?

Greenback didn't start playing football until 1957 and had 22 different contest with Friendsville and Lanier. Friendsville was 13-8-1 with Greenback and Lanier went 15-6-1. I was talking to a man last week that played on the first Greenback team in 57 and he told me Loudon County donated most of their equipment that was extras from the other two high schools. He said his helmet was to big for his head and he only weighed 125 pounds and was on the line against a Friendsville player that weighed 250. He told me everytime he got up off the ground his nose was sticking through the ear hole of his helmet. I really think what helped Lanier the last three years more than anything was that Coach McMahan was an assistant there and he was a great coach in my opinion. He had good teams at Heritage and William Blount when he was the head coach for those programs.

Edited by BarneySox2007
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I knew the answer, I was putting up a smokescreen. Big Larry Satterfield was one of my coaches.

Promise that wasn't a dig at you because I know you played at Friendsville and I also know you had a good time playing there. Friendsville always had great basketball teams and had a decent football team from time to time. Lanier had ups and downs also but when they were good they were good. Lanier really had great teams in the 60's but when Coach Irwin was sent to coach Everett he took his assistant with him and Lanier went for a dry run a few years until the last three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Greenback didn't start playing football until 1957 and had 22 different contest with Friendsville and Lanier. Friendsville was 13-8-1 with Greenback and Lanier went 15-6-1. I was talking to a man last week that played on the first Greenback team in 57 and he told me Loudon County donated most of their equipment that was extras from the other two high schools. He said his helmet was to big for his head and he only weighed 125 pounds and was on the line against a Friendsville player that weighed 250. He told me everytime he got up off the ground his nose was sticking through the ear hole of his helmet. I really think what helped Lanier the last three years more than anything was that Coach McMahan was an assistant there and he was a great coach in my opinion. He had good teams at Heritage and William Blount when he was the head coach for those programs.

Good stuff Barn. I believe Blount County's consolidation plan helped Maryville, Alcoa, and Greenback in Football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Promise that wasn't a dig at you because I know you played at Friendsville and I also know you had a good time playing there. Friendsville always had great basketball teams and had a decent football team from time to time. Lanier had ups and downs also but when they were good they were good. Lanier really had great teams in the 60's but when Coach Irwin was sent to coach Everett he took his assistant with him and Lanier went for a dry run a few years until the last three.

If I'm not mistaken Lanier may be the only Blount County school that does not have a losing record vs Maryville.

4 hours ago, 32hammer said:

I want to say Lanier was 1-1 vs Maryville when they played back to back around1964-1965 with a bunch of Daileys, Johnsons and maybe some Satterfields on the team

Maryville has only played Lanier twice winning both games 13-0 in 66 and 19-14 in 67. Friendsville tried their luck in 1964 against Maryville's AP State Champions and got whacked 41-0 then got another whacking 32-6 in 1965.