Brighton @ Beech

tandem

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crabtree is on a very remarkable run.  09', 12' and with most probability, 17'.  That's looking at 3 titles in 9 years.  Coach Short had teams play in 6 games over a 15 year run.  I remember in 10' hearing some Beech fans complaining at the game at how bad of a coach he was.  They were most definitely wrong.  He's a very personable guy as well.  I've always enjoyed talking with him.  He makes it hard not to like him.

On 11/21/2017 at 6:46 PM, GWAVE1 said:

I think you have a really good one down there.  I agree with Wave88.  Very personable and a really good guy who gets more with less.  A few more years and he could easily be a hall of fame guy.  

More with less, I don't know about all of that. More with more perhaps ... Hurd transfers in. Napper transfers in. Dunlap transfers in. Dorian Carter transfers in. Deantrice Bennett (really nice athlete and quality linebacker) transferred in (senior on the 08 squad). Was Haymer there in middle school? I don't remember him. Currently, Dyilin Hoosier transferred in. That doesn't even touch the "other" players who played big roles but in less visible ways (Hathaway, big offensive tackle from a few of years back who transferred in from Metro). Beech has been fortunate, and then, Beech has capitalized on it when it has had talent. Kudos to AC and the program for being able to do so. It's not easy to win one. But they were really talented in 09 (Sites, Zinchini, Neal, Fleming, Huey, Howell, Martinez, Kingcade, Walker, Aiello, Rumsey, etc.). Needless to say, Hurd was the driving force behind the 12 title. Moral of the story, let's not act like the cupboard has been bare much over the last 10 years though.

Edited by Preppy

7 hours ago, Preppy said:

More with less, I don't know about all of that. More with more perhaps ... Hurd transfers in. Napper transfers in. Dunlap transfers in. Dorian Carter transfers in. Deantrice Bennett (really nice athlete and quality linebacker) transferred in (senior on the 08 squad). Was Haymer there in middle school? I don't remember him. Currently, Dyilin Hoosier transferred in. That doesn't even touch the "other" players who played big roles but in less visible ways (Hathaway, big offensive tackle from a few of years back who transferred in from Metro). Beech has been fortunate, and then, Beech has capitalized on it when it has had talent. Kudos to AC and the program for being able to do so. It's not easy to win one. But they were really talented in 09 (Sites, Zinchini, Neal, Fleming, Huey, Howell, Martinez, Kingcade, Walker, Aiello, Rumsey, etc.). Needless to say, Hurd was the driving force behind the 12 title. Moral of the story, let's not act like the cupboard has been bare much over the last 10 years though.

Not coming down on either side of this question, but interesting to note that only one of the players mentioned received a FBS scholarship. (Hurd) Of the players mentioned, Sites (Carson Newman) Neal (UT Martin) and Martinez (Morehead?) went to school on football scholarships. Anther that comes to mind is Corey Britton, a d lineman in 12 went to Morgan State? on scholarship. Also not mentioned is Lovingood, current long snapper at UT. Most all the others mentioned were really good high school football players that were coached up really well. It would be fun to compare the talent levels of Beech, Gallatin, Hendersonville and Station Camp through the years. Sounds like a fun off season thread. :) 

9 hours ago, Preppy said:

No it hasn't been bare but I was speaking more in terms of the players, like Tandem said, that were coached up.  Crabtree seems to get the best or better part of some of the athletes.   You will be hard pressed to convince me that Shackle Island has had better avenues of talent than Hendersonville or Gallatin.  Yet they seem to do better with what they have.  It may be scheme it may be coaching it may be players more willing to buy in, I do not know the answer.  I do know for a fact, Dunlap was a nice player to get but SC was more devastated Sirtavious Perry left than him.  That is according to some on the coaching staff. Perry gets hurt but still has a nice season.  Dunlap goes off and becomes a Mr Football candidate.  Now does he get that recognition at Station Camp?  I seriously doubt it.  That is the kind of situation I am talking about.  Crabtree has completely changed the expectations at Beech and that is a testament to his legacy.