OAK RIDGE WILDCAT FOOTBALL 2018

WilleTheWildcat

7 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

I know Hardin Valley has a solid team, buddy of mine coaches there. They have a very good D line and secondary, LBs are pretty good. On offense they aren’t massive up front but they do a good job. Return the QB from last year who did a good job. They lost Dykes who was Mr Everything for them at RB so maybe a step back there. At WR, they are VERY talented. Coaching will be the ultimate difference in this game, OR should have that advantage but HVA has a solid staff.

There's really no reason that HVA shouldn't be a top team in this area every year, if not the state in their respective class with the size of that school. They're top notch in most other sports, but for some reason the football team has consistently been underachievers for the most part. It's kind of a gold mine waiting to happen if you ask me. It just hasn't happened, yet.

Indeed Sweet, you would think that. For the longest time I think the HC was a little hard headed about staying in that old I -formation the whole time and they probably lost some players to other schools because of it. They seem to be more Spread oriented now, and as of result have some good talent. Y’all better come ready to play Sweet, HVA could really surprise some people this year in 6a

14 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Indeed Sweet, you would think that. For the longest time I think the HC was a little hard headed about staying in that old I -formation the whole time and they probably lost some players to other schools because of it. They seem to be more Spread oriented now, and as of result have some good talent. Y’all better come ready to play Sweet, HVA could really surprise some people this year in 6a

Oh yeah, no doubt. I expect our staff to have our guys ready to play. The other part will be up to the kids, and you just never know where 15-17 year old kids' heads are at any given moment lol. He^&, mine is all over the place as a 39 year old, let alone when I was that age. You just never know what to expect with HS kids. I would've thought our kids would've been ready to play against Farragut last year, being they're one of our main rivals, but we laid the biggest egg in history and got shellacked, so you just never know.  You're right, though. I expect them to bring it and then some, but I expect us to meet them head on. Now, it remains to be seen if we will, but I expect us to.

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Jefferson drilled Loudon. It was either 38-0 or 30-0. Looks to be that Jefferson has the better team this year in the Ridge among the 2 teams. That seems to go back and forth every 3 years or so. In our heyday both of those teams were really good. It would be nice to get back to that someday. That's when we get some special teams around here.

I thought I saw a 32-8 score, but that might have been the Norris score I'm thinking of. 

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I have no idea what to expect Cats. Honestly, I haven't been to any practices this year. I went to the Maryville scrimmage and while we didn't look too impressive, it's hard to get a gauge through a scrimmage. Plus, Maryville tends to make most every team look bad.

Honestly, I thought our varsity D held up pretty well against them, even though we gave up 24. But, we made them work for each of those scores, and a few offside penalties kept some drives alive that we may have ended up stalling if we didn't jump offsides. Plus, the O kept them on the field practically all scrimmage, so with all of that said they did well IMO. Also, we didn't give up any really big plays to them, so that was encouraging. They had to work for what they got.

I have no idea what to expect Thursday night, but I do expect us to win. Even if our offense won't be fully clicking, which I don't expect it to be, I think our D is good enough to bring us a victory Thursday night. They're going to have to carry us until the O gets going, similar to last year. I think if we can get the O going that we will be a pretty tough team by the time the playoffs roll around. I may end up being wrong, but if we can stay healthy I think we will have one of the better defenses in this area.

I think you just expressed my opinion as well. Our defense looks pretty good while the offense will come along slowly. I worry about the kicking game. I also worry about the passing game. I don’t know how to figure this game at all 

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Oh yeah, no doubt. I expect our staff to have our guys ready to play. The other part will be up to the kids, and you just never know where 15-17 year old kids' heads are at any given moment lol. He^&, mine is all over the place as a 39 year old, let alone when I was that age. You just never know what to expect with HS kids. I would've thought our kids would've been ready to play against Farragut last year, being they're one of our main rivals, but we laid the biggest egg in history and got shellacked, so you just never know.  You're right, though. I expect them to bring it and then some, but I expect us to meet them head on. Now, it remains to be seen if we will, but I expect us to.

Hey Sweets...why don’t we have an OR - HVA thread?

Looking forward to Thursday night, I am a cheer parent but really enjoy watching these young men mature and improve their skills every year! You can thank our sponsors and Cheer dads this year for the fresh set of cat tracks from the high school to the stadium.

Make sure to follow the ORHS cheerleaders on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

They did a meet the team daily post the past few days even including a bio on Wiley!

https://www.facebook.com/orhscheerleading

https://twitter.com/orhs_cheer

Roll Wildcats Roll!

Edited by jeffyt

17 hours ago, SweetScience said:

There's really no reason that HVA shouldn't be a top team in this area every year, if not the state in their respective class with the size of that school. They're top notch in most other sports, but for some reason the football team has consistently been underachievers for the most part. It's kind of a gold mine waiting to happen if you ask me. It just hasn't happened, yet.

HVA is one of those schools where the coaches of various sports don't like to share athletes, and with some to the point where they are flat out told that by playing football it damages the chances of getting PT in other sports.  It's been that was in particular with baseball players, as they play a significant fall schedule (unofficially, of course) and those kids know if they aren't there in the fall then they don't play in the spring.  Be interesting to see the new baseball coach's philosophy there.  

Unfortunately there are a few area schools in this same situation, and it's a shame, really.  It's just not fair to the kids.