OAK RIDGE WILDCAT FOOTBALL 2018

WilleTheWildcat

9 hours ago, Domin18 said:

Good win OR! In middle school action AC feeder team Norris beat OR feeder team Jeferson tonight....

Norris won 20-16, great game between two good teams.  It came down to the wire.  Norris intercepted a fourth down pass at the 1 yard line with 15 seconds to play.  I think they will meet again in the playoffs.  

Good win for Oak Ridge.  HVA has to be very disappointed in that performance.  They were expected to be much better than that.   

3 hours ago, RebelAtHeart said:

Tough loss for my Hawks last night... certainly not the way this group of seniors wanted to start their last run.  Kudos to the OR coaches and players... fought through some week 1 and wet ball challenges early on to come out victorious.  Speed kills and that certainly was a difference maker last night.  I agree that your young linemen did a great job making opportunities for OR QB and the many other skill players to flex their talent.  OR #1 was lights out and impressive all night long.  HVA had its moments but certainly has a lot to work on this week before facing another tough defensive opponent.  

Felt like the Hawks had their opportunities to get back in the game several times - even after the long run by OR #8 (wow... jus wow!).  Offense obviously has to step up and the OC has got to find a way to move the ball on the ground.  You know you are in trouble when the best run play in your playbook is QB draw.  HVA defense definitely looked better than the O, but have to work on limiting the big plays.

Blessings to the OR Wildcats on your season!  Very impressed with what I saw last night and think you guys have some great promise for a historic year.  Go expose those Indians to help us prep for week 9!  Heads up Hawks... learn from this game and get better - let's go beat those West Rebels!  #GoHawks

Well said buddy, thanks. 

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Is HVA offense that bad, or did our D just make it look bad? Maybe it was just an off night, or maybe a bit of all of those things? Guess we will see. 

I think they really are that bad. 

No players at the skill positions, no line and a lack of creativity/imagination on the offensive side of the ball. 

1 hour ago, rolltriberoll said:

I think they really are that bad. 

No players at the skill positions, no line and a lack of creativity/imagination on the offensive side of the ball. 

Alright I'll bite... through summer scrimmages the HVA Offense was able to move the ball and put up points (granted these were just  scrimmages) against Knox Catholic, Bradley Central, Soddy Daisy, and William Blount (don't laugh).  Had success throwing in 7v7 against Fulton, Webb, Corbin, Chatty East, and Alcoa.  To say there are "no players" after one bad night seems naïve.  As I recall, OR would have been declared a mess after the Farragut game last year if that was the only body of evidence to judge their team by.  

Apart from a frustrated and tenacious QB, last night there was virtually no run game for HVA and I credit the OR D-line and LB's combined with poor play from the HVA front 5.  Throw in a soggy ball and several dropped passes and you wind up with a pretty lousy offensive night.  68 total yards at the half and just over 170 by the end of the game is definitely a disappointing night (just ask GCA down the road).  I will agree with you that the OC seems to have gathered his playbook from Butch Jones and company, but X's and O's worked for even UT when the team executed.  I'll agree with your "creativity" comment as I wish the playbook was adjusted to the strength of the players year to year - but that is not the case at HVA.

Mark my words that there ARE "players" on both sides of the ball at HVA.  (Ironically, the HVA QB happened to win a Watauga League championship up in Upper East TN catching a throwback pass from DB's starting QB when they were in 6th grade.  That was an awesome group of youngsters to watch play that year!)  Give the offense time and it will pick up... same thing happened last year but we had us a D1 stud to carry the rock until the rest of the crew figured things out (we did miss him last night).  

I'll be done with my opinion and say that OR moved fast and aggressively all night against an offense hampered by weather, poor blocking, and pesky DB's from OR.  I'm sure that OR will kindly demonstrate their defensive strength next week to the Indians... I may have to eat crow again, but DB better buckle up those chin straps tight when they run out on the field at the Ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RebelAtHeart said:

Alright I'll bite... through summer scrimmages the HVA Offense was able to move the ball and put up points (granted these were just  scrimmages) against Knox Catholic, Bradley Central, Soddy Daisy, and William Blount (don't laugh).  Had success throwing in 7v7 against Fulton, Webb, Corbin, Chatty East, and Alcoa.  To say there are "no players" after one bad night seems naïve.  As I recall, OR would have been declared a mess after the Farragut game last year if that was the only body of evidence to judge their team by.  

Apart from a frustrated and tenacious QB, last night there was virtually no run game for HVA and I credit the OR D-line and LB's combined with poor play from the HVA front 5.  Throw in a soggy ball and several dropped passes and you wind up with a pretty lousy offensive night.  68 total yards at the half and just over 170 by the end of the game is definitely a disappointing night (just ask GCA down the road).  I will agree with you that the OC seems to have gathered his playbook from Butch Jones and company, but X's and O's worked for even UT when the team executed.  I'll agree with your "creativity" comment as I wish the playbook was adjusted to the strength of the players year to year - but that is not the case at HVA.

Mark my words that there ARE "players" on both sides of the ball at HVA.  (Ironically, the HVA QB happened to win a Watauga League championship up in Upper East TN catching a throwback pass from DB's starting QB when they were in 6th grade.  That was an awesome group of youngsters to watch play that year!)  Give the offense time and it will pick up... same thing happened last year but we had us a D1 stud to carry the rock until the rest of the crew figured things out (we did miss him last night).  

I'll be done with my opinion and say that OR moved fast and aggressively all night against an offense hampered by weather, poor blocking, and pesky DB's from OR.  I'm sure that OR will kindly demonstrate their defensive strength next week to the Indians... I may have to eat crow again, but DB better buckle up those chin straps tight when they run out on the field at the Ship.

I hope you are right, but I don’t think so. 

Historically, HVA’s strength has been physical play from both lines. That’s not going to be the case this year. 

I just don’t see any play makers. Dykes is gone. And, he was really the only consistent playmaker on last year’s team. The Hawks have never had a vertical passing game, and this year is no different. 

By all indications, the OR folks don’t think they have a great teaM this year. That’s their fans saying that. And, they demolished HVA. 

Again, I hope you are right and that I am wrong. 

RTR, we always downplay our team, even if we think we will be good haha. Well, I can't speak for everybody I don't guess, but I try to keep it a little humble, at least. Now, I don't think we are really good right now by any means, but I think we will be a tough out by seasons end. All I care about is if we improve over the course of the year. To me, that's what makes HS football so enjoyable, and just sports period. Watching the team you love grow and mature together as a unit. I think the Hawks will bounce back and have a pretty good season, I really do.

Rebel brought up a good point in his message. Heck, after the Farragut game last year if you asked me I would've told you we were finished, but our kids and staff were resilient and proved me wrong big time. Now is the time for those HVA kids to show how much determination they have and to prove their own naysayers wrong. I wish them the best, and like RTR, I hope they prove me right. I like seeing all teams succeed. Well, besides Farragut & Clinton of course. Only kidding. 

9 hours ago, RebelAtHeart said:

Tough loss for my Hawks last night... certainly not the way this group of seniors wanted to start their last run.  Kudos to the OR coaches and players... fought through some week 1 and wet ball challenges early on to come out victorious.  Speed kills and that certainly was a difference maker last night.  I agree that your young linemen did a great job making opportunities for OR QB and the many other skill players to flex their talent.  OR #1 was lights out and impressive all night long.  HVA had its moments but certainly has a lot to work on this week before facing another tough defensive opponent.  

Felt like the Hawks had their opportunities to get back in the game several times - even after the long run by OR #8 (wow... jus wow!).  Offense obviously has to step up and the OC has got to find a way to move the ball on the ground.  You know you are in trouble when the best run play in your playbook is QB draw.  HVA defense definitely looked better than the O, but have to work on limiting the big plays.

Blessings to the OR Wildcats on your season!  Very impressed with what I saw last night and think you guys have some great promise for a historic year.  Go expose those Indians to help us prep for week 9!  Heads up Hawks... learn from this game and get better - let's go beat those West Rebels!  #GoHawks

Edited by SweetScience