Region 1 (17-18)

PatCoach09

Well the season has officially started, and the region should be fairly competitive this year (with a few changes), good luck to everyone!  We opened our season by traveling to Cleveland for duals with the Blue Raiders, and Walker Valley.

Jeff vs Cleveland: 9-63

Jeff vs Walker Valley: 31-42

Tough couple matches from a tough region, we open open up Region competition at Volunteer tomorrow 11/28 at 5:30pm.

This is our year. Toppers should run away with the team title. It should be interesting who fills in behind us. I think Jeff Co and Morristown West can make it interesting. Tennessee is rebuilding this year so DB and maybe Davy Crockett make a run for second.

If Region duals include 6 teams again I predict The Hill, DB, JeffCo, DC, TN, & MW.

I believe Jeff County will be the team traveling with us to State Duals this season. And I think they will be the team to beat next season. They are doing great things over there and headed in the right direction. DB or Crocket could sneak in to the #3 spot this season. They are also doing things right and working to improve. I was also glad to see Morristown East with solid numbers last night. Wrestling interest in Region 1 is growing and coaches are working hard to improve and seem more motivated than I've ever seen since I've been around the region. It's good to see. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pretty much all of this improvement and growth in Region 1 can all be traced back to Joe Kremmerer and his decision to open a training center that operates 2 nights a week in morristown and 2 nights in Abingdon, Va a couple of years ago.  Joe is a former PA state champ and University World team member who is now offering very high level year round coaching in an area where there wasn’t a lot of wrestling interest before.  

While I appreciate the efforts Joe is doing to improve our region I find it difficult to trace it all to him as you have so eluded.  I personally feel he was/is a very high level wrestler and a great coach who is helping to elevate some of the individual wrestlers like Braden Ivey to be outstanding but in my opinion our regional growth comes from the coaches within the teams itself, each team has coaches spending time recruiting the hallways, time in the weight room, running summer programs inside the teams, building middle school programs and youth club programs.  While Joe adds to the strength of the region, he is not the backbone or the core that is making it rise.  Take a look at each team that is rising, its not an outside training source but a coach or two inside the team making it better. Roster numbers are growing and again that only happens from within.

Now on the region: My top 5

#1 Science Hill - This team is ready to compete at the state level again if all the kids fall into the right weight classes.

#2 Jefferson County - They are a full team with some solid kids throughout the lineup that will take advantage of FFTs by other teams and be our other state dual reps.

#3 TN High - While I believe they give up a lot of FFTs I think they have 5 strong kids who don't loose against any other team except SH.  Given the holes other teams have and Tim's ability to get the most out of his kids when needed I think they end up as the #3 team in our region but cant overcome a 24 pt. deficit to Jeff Co.

#4 Morristown West - A strong up and coming team but has 2-3 holes in the lineup based on roster.  I think they are able to barley beat DB for the #4 spot but are unable to knock off TN High.

#5 DB - A good tradition and a good team but 2 holes and a bit stronger MW team pushes them to #5 this year. I don't believe they have enough fire power to overcome TN High.

15 hours ago, KingGreene said:

I believe Jeff County will be the team traveling with us to State Duals this season. And I think they will be the team to beat next season. They are doing great things over there and headed in the right direction. DB or Crocket could sneak in to the #3 spot this season. They are also doing things right and working to improve. I was also glad to see Morristown East with solid numbers last night. Wrestling interest in Region 1 is growing and coaches are working hard to improve and seem more motivated than I've ever seen since I've been around the region. It's good to see. 

Thank you, we are definitely doing some things differently and hope to be the second team traveling to state duals as a team. TN High defeated us last year by 10 last year and by 2 the year before, we are working to get back this year. We will have a tough test Tuesday as we take on DB, should be interesting to see how they do with Morristown East tonight.

2 hours ago, pacoach said:

While I appreciate the efforts Joe is doing to improve our region I find it difficult to trace it all to him as you have so eluded.  I personally feel he was/is a very high level wrestler and a great coach who is helping to elevate some of the individual wrestlers like Braden Ivey to be outstanding but in my opinion our regional growth comes from the coaches within the teams itself, each team has coaches spending time recruiting the hallways, time in the weight room, running summer programs inside the teams, building middle school programs and youth club programs.  While Joe adds to the strength of the region, he is not the backbone or the core that is making it rise.  Take a look at each team that is rising, its not an outside training source but a coach or two inside the team making it better. Roster numbers are growing and again that only happens from within.

Now on the region: My top 5

#1 Science Hill - This team is ready to compete at the state level again if all the kids fall into the right weight classes.

#2 Jefferson County - They are a full team with some solid kids throughout the lineup that will take advantage of FFTs by other teams and be our other state dual reps.

#3 TN High - While I believe they give up a lot of FFTs I think they have 5 strong kids who don't loose against any other team except SH.  Given the holes other teams have and Tim's ability to get the most out of his kids when needed I think they end up as the #3 team in our region but cant overcome a 24 pt. deficit to Jeff Co.

#4 Morristown West - A strong up and coming team but has 2-3 holes in the lineup based on roster.  I think they are able to barley beat DB for the #4 spot but are unable to knock off TN High.

#5 DB - A good tradition and a good team but 2 holes and a bit stronger MW team pushes them to #5 this year. I don't believe they have enough fire power to overcome TN High.

Thank you, we do have some kids that have wrestled for Joe and they came in prepared for the most part. We will still continue to develop them into the wrestlers they can be. Our middle schools are also getting better and having more kids come out. 

18 hours ago, durdon said:

Pretty much all of this improvement and growth in Region 1 can all be traced back to Joe Kremmerer and his decision to open a training center that operates 2 nights a week in morristown and 2 nights in Abingdon, Va a couple of years ago.  Joe is a former PA state champ and University World team member who is now offering very high level year round coaching in an area where there wasn’t a lot of wrestling interest before.  

This is very false. Of the teams that finished 3rd and 4th in the state last year (SH & TN)... 0 of them wrestled for Kemmerer. The fact that Morristown East, Cocke County and Daniel Boone have close to full teams now and Crockett has coaches that are passionate and believe they can eventually compete at a high level has nothing to do with Kemerrer either.

Kemmerer maybe one of the most knowledgeable and talented coaches to ever come through this area. He is no doubt a great outside resource for the youth kids that want to get to the next level. And every now and then Jeff County or a Morristown team might get a stud because of Joe..... but he is not filling dual teams or creating interest. He is simply working with the top level kids whose parents have the money to pay and making them even better. So to say that all the growth is contributed to him is frankly not true, and an insult to the Region 1 coaches who have put in the time and effort to build their teams. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KingGreene said:

This is very false. Of the teams that finished 3rd and 4th in the state last year (SH & TN)... 0 of them wrestled for Kemmerer. The fact that Morristown East, Cocke County and Daniel Boone have close to full teams now and Crockett has coaches that are passionate and believe they can eventually compete at a high level has nothing to do with Kemerrer either.

Kemmerer maybe one of the most knowledgeable and talented coaches to ever come through this area. He is no doubt a great outside resource for the youth kids that want to get to the next level. And every now and then Jeff County or a Morristown team might get a stud because of Joe..... but he is not filling dual teams or creating interest. He is simply working with the top level kids whose parents have the money to pay and making them even better. So to say that all the growth is contributed to him is frankly not true, and an insult to the Region 1 coaches who have put in the time and effort to build their teams. 

Very true.

DB defeated Morristown East last night 51-30, it was a close match up until the last few matches. It was really good to see that Morristown East had a full line-up don' t think they have had that in a long time! Seems like every squad has solid kids throughout their line-up, should be very interesting for the individual tournament.

The Hill had a strong showing at the very prestigious Southern Slam yesterday.  Only 2.5 points away from the team win and 7 place winners.  Congrats to Chase Diehl on a tournament championship in a very tough bracket!

In other Region 1 news it appears DB has solidified their place in the number 2 spot (at least until they wrestle Jefferson Co.) with big wins over Tennessee and Morristown West.  It appears the new coach in Kingsport has his bunch fired up and ready to roll.  

Jefferson County competed at the Catholic Invitational this weekend. Placing 6 (3 in the finals) and took 4th as a team behind Heritage, Halls, and Coahulla Creek. Any other Region 1 teams in action this weekend and have results?

19 hours ago, topperpride11 said:

The Hill had a strong showing at the very prestigious Southern Slam yesterday.  Only 2.5 points away from the team win and 7 place winners.  Congrats to Chase Diehl on a tournament championship in a very tough bracket!

In other Region 1 news it appears DB has solidified their place in the number 2 spot (at least until they wrestle Jefferson Co.) with big wins over Tennessee and Morristown West.  It appears the new coach in Kingsport has his bunch fired up and ready to roll.  

This should be a very interesting match up on Tuesday! 

Edited by PatCoach09

On 11/30/2017 at 4:23 AM, durdon said:

Is this Jared Diehl's alternate screen name trolling us? Good one. You almost got me. 

Edited by ArtusCimber
Needed to.