Transfer question.

Lead

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

People need to understand the dynamics of something before denouncing it. Open zone vs. closed zone is a "hot topic" in sports, but has little to do with it in concept. Open zone policy is for taxpayer equality...here in Henderson Co. we have multiple schools at every level, and although we are proud of all of them we still offer the choice of where your child will attend. We run bus routs which are computer generated, determining (according to address) which school your child attends unless you provide transportation, in which case you have choice of any of them. If building capacity isn't maxed out, we then offer to accept out of county students provided they pay a tuition amount equal to that which the county covers for in county students on a first come/first serve basis. Pretty simple...it's the best policy to offer "fairness" and choice to the taxpayers.

Exactly. And the vast majority of open zone schools are mediocre at best in football. A lot are horrible. It’s the few anomalies like Alcoa and Maryville that make it a hot button topic. 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:30 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Absolutely true. I have noticed on here over the years some posters complain about open zone school and they didn’t even realize their own district was open zone as well. Amazing how few have a good understanding of their own school board policies. 

Mostly the county school folks with 1 or 2 high schools are the ones complaining.

Edited by FBfan26
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2018 at 6:40 PM, tradertwo said:

People need to understand the dynamics of something before denouncing it. Open zone vs. closed zone is a "hot topic" in sports, but has little to do with it in concept. Open zone policy is for taxpayer equality...here in Henderson Co. we have multiple schools at every level, and although we are proud of all of them we still offer the choice of where your child will attend. We run bus routs which are computer generated, determining (according to address) which school your child attends unless you provide transportation, in which case you have choice of any of them. If building capacity isn't maxed out, we then offer to accept out of county students provided they pay a tuition amount equal to that which the county covers for in county students on a first come/first serve basis. Pretty simple...it's the best policy to offer "fairness" and choice to the taxpayers.

We (Greenback in Loudon county) just had it on the agenda and got voted down.The ones for it tried to explain the tuition factor but to deaf ears.We have a VERY limited area to pull from and after this year our team will hit the dreaded "turn" and hit it hard!We need to open it up to pull in more student athletes.

14 hours ago, orngnblk said:

We (Greenback in Loudon county) just had it on the agenda and got voted down.The ones for it tried to explain the tuition factor but to deaf ears.We have a VERY limited area to pull from and after this year our team will hit the dreaded "turn" and hit it hard!We need to open it up to pull in more student athletes.

In Henderson County, our "tuition" is currently $1,650.00, give or take a few dollars. That sum is reached through a simple formula...our cost of educating each child per year is around $9,200.00. Subtracting federal and state monies (AYP, BEP, ect…)  leaves you with the amount of expenditures from the taxpayers of your own county. How can it be deemed unfair for county citizens, when it costs them ZERO for your system to educate out of county kids, and provides employment for residents?

Since I've explained the "formula", I feel that I need to stress that the purpose isn't "to pull in more student athletes". The purpose is for in county residents to have the choice of schools foremost (in county students), and secondarily to keep our system at or near capacity by adding out of county students to bolster enrollment numbers when a natural downturn occurs. For every 25 or so students under capacity, someone loses a job in theory. Class sizes dictate somewhat, but state class maximums mandate the number of certified employees (teachers) that our system has...in a hypothetical 200 student downturn, six or eight teachers potentially lose their jobs.

I also feel compelled to say that we haven't added a good handful of tuition student athletes at Scotts Hill...ever. For the last several years, we have maintained capacity from in county residents to the point where we have been dangerously close to violating building and Fire Marshal codes, and I have personally witnessed a grandmother give the Principal a "blank check" for tuition, but her grandson ( from an adjoining county) was turned away... The grandson was one of the best baseball players in the county.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, orngnblk said:

I can't believe it was voted down.

Edited by Red Rebels

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Salem said:

What grade can a player transfer in an open county and still be eligible to play without moving? 8th or 9th?

The parents would have to make that decision before they enroll in 9th grade.  If the student attends one High School and plays a sport the student would have to sit out a whole calendar year before being able to play a sport at the next school 

15 hours ago, Swipes said:

The parents would have to make that decision before they enroll in 9th grade.  If the student attends one High School and plays a sport the student would have to sit out a whole calendar year before being able to play a sport at the next school 

That is per TSSAA. Some county systems (ours does) also have policy to deter students from transferring for athletic purposes. 

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

That is per TSSAA. Some county systems (ours does) also have policy to deter students from transferring for athletic purposes. 

I know each School system has different policies in place.  Just curious as to how your system police reads?  I know in Greene County I don't believe there is a policy in place like that they just go by what TSSAA allows.  It's already tough enuff to get into the City School unless you start trying in Elementary School way before anyone knows if Jimmy or Susie will be any good at sports or not.  The City School education is just that much better than the County here and anyone will tell you that

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Swipes said:

I know each School system has different policies in place.  Just curious as to how your system police reads?  I know in Greene County I don't believe there is a policy in place like that they just go by what TSSAA allows.  It's already tough enuff to get into the City School unless you start trying in Elementary School way before anyone knows if Jimmy or Susie will be any good at sports or not.  The City School education is just that much better than the County here and anyone will tell you that

The roles are flipped here, with the county system having the better academic success ( the city also has no high school). The county board has no restriction regarding city kids enrolling and playing right away...transferring from one county school to another results in losing eligibility for one year. There are stipulations that void the loss of eligibility, but have to be reviewed. Our county also has policy regarding transferring not involving sports, including having both Principals sign off on the transfer. I don't believe that the City has any restrictions for athletes transferring from the county. There are other minor variances involved with our policy, but that's the main area of concern regarding transferring and playing.