TSSAA please help with Officating

OrangeGuru

One of the biggest problems with high school sports is fans/parents who have no clue what the rules are. From dads screaming "he traveled before he threw the ball in! He took steps" because that rule existed when he played in 1975 to seeing a player knocked to the floor by his own teammate and hearing a mom scream "where's the foul?!?!" because she sees her son on the floor and then yells "he did that on purpose" with no clue who the 'he' was. The "Where was the whistle?!?!" answer is that it is no foul to knock down your teammate.  Basketball is the toughest game to officiate and just about every possession can be called one of several ways. Think of officials more as arbitrators than umpires in baseball. If you think they are bad, imagine trying to play a game without them.  Be grateful you have people willing to take time from their wives/husbands/kids/grandkids to spend time with your kids. A thank you goes a long way. 

A few facts 

Cost to register to officiate any sport in TN $70 no longer have to take or pass any test. Only requirement is to pass a state administered background check

Fee to pay local assignor $60

Middle school officials game fee for 2 games 2 man crew girls varsity/boys varsity $80

High school officials game fee for 2 games 3 man crew girls varsity/boys varsity $95 goes up to $100 next yr. 

Cost to get started

Shirt $30-40

Pants $50-60

Black TSSAA jacket $50

Fox 40 whistle $5

Shoes $50-$150

Black compression undershirt black compression shorts or pants socks $50+

Abuse we get from all the EXPERTS in the stands and on the benches=PRICELESS

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, davidlimbaugh said:

One of the biggest problems with high school sports is fans/parents who have no clue what the rules are. From dads screaming "he traveled before he threw the ball in! He took steps" because that rule existed when he played in 1975 to seeing a player knocked to the floor by his own teammate and hearing a mom scream "where's the foul?!?!" because she sees her son on the floor and then yells "he did that on purpose" with no clue who the 'he' was. The "Where was the whistle?!?!" answer is that it is no foul to knock down your teammate.  Basketball is the toughest game to officiate and just about every possession can be called one of several ways. Think of officials more as arbitrators than umpires in baseball. If you think they are bad, imagine trying to play a game without them.  Be grateful you have people willing to take time from their wives/husbands/kids/grandkids to spend time with your kids. A thank you goes a long way. 

The problem you point out has always existed. Parents or fans have not changed over the years.  There are a great many in the stands that have a pretty fair knowledge of exactly what goes on in the games. Play wise and rule wise. You also pointed to the problem when you said every possession cold be called several ways. It goes to consistency. The exact same play should be called the same way one possession of one team as the next possession for the other. Play is called a certain one in the first half and totally opposite in the next half or in some instances quarter to quarter. It really looks bad when the whole gym erupts after a bad call and the for the next 8 minutes its a freethrow feast. A thank you goes a long way is true but get real on the floor and you wont get booed out the door.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, ZEBRA35 said:

A few facts 

Cost to register to officiate any sport in TN $70 no longer have to take or pass any test. Only requirement is to pass a state administered background check

Middle school officials game fee for 2 games 2 man crew girls varsity/boys varsity $80

High school officials game fee for 2 games 3 man crew girls varsity/boys varsity $95 goes up to $100 next yr. 

Cost to get started

Shirt $30-40

Pants $50-60

Black TSSAA jacket $50

Fox 40 whistle $5

Shoes $50-$150

So basically its like many of those "experts" you refer to have thought. You do not have to have any training or even know the rules. Just pay a fee and by a uniform and you get to referee ?  Sounds like a cash for clunkers program to me. You pay the cash and the kids get the clunkers to call the game. At least you have finally admitted that the fans know as much or more than "refs" on the floor. By paying you fees and buying a new outfit you basically a glorified fan.

Using your numbers;

Required Cost to be a ref $345-$485

Pay per game to be a ref  $80 - $95

Knowledge required to be a ref $0

Comparing what your are bringing, the fans and benches are experts

We should all be thanking you for that ....geez.

12 hours ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

So basically its like many of those "experts" you refer to have thought. You do not have to have any training or even know the rules. Just pay a fee and by a uniform and you get to referee ?  Sounds like a cash for clunkers program to me. You pay the cash and the kids get the clunkers to call the game. At least you have finally admitted that the fans know as much or more than "refs" on the floor. By paying you fees and buying a new outfit you basically a glorified fan.

Using your numbers;

Required Cost to be a ref $345-$485

Pay per game to be a ref  $80 - $95

Knowledge required to be a ref $0

Comparing what your are bringing, the fans and benches are experts

We should all be thanking you for that ....geez.

Which local referee meeting will you be at? I will be the 1st one to thank you for signing up. I have a good used whistle I will donate to you to save you $5

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:39 PM, ZEBRA35 said:

A few facts 

Cost to get started

Shirt $30-40

Pants $50-60

Black TSSAA jacket $50

Fox 40 whistle $5

Shoes $50-$150

That is roughly $385.00 that a potential official must pay before they officiate the first game.  Let's not forget that they may or may not get to officiate more than 6-8 games the first season.  That makes it  very difficult for someone to justify becoming a high school official.  Before people start screaming that it's for the kids please remember what Dorris Armstrong once said:  Stop paying the officials and see how many officials show up to officiate because it's FOR THE KIDS.  Folks it's about the money.  People today are much more knowledgeable as to what their individual time is worth.

11 hours ago, ZEBRA35 said:

Which local referee meeting will you be at? I will be the 1st one to thank you for signing up. I have a good used whistle I will donate to you to save you $5

Typical response from an official. If you had been consistent as I been talking about since the beginning of this topic and actually read the post, you would have seen I have already stated that I fully plan to do just that. I currently have a kid involved in high school sports and as soon as he graduates I will be more than happy to sign up. 

I have looked at the current crop of officials which I have observed and determined I have enough of the qualities they possess to call the games. I have the ability to blame the moms and dads and fans for my inconsistent calls. Call from the opposite side of the floor even when another official had better position. Talk to coaches instead of watching the players while the clock is running. Be either too old or too over weight or too lazy to be able to move up and down the floor. And practice saying "well why don't you get a whistle and get out here" to be ready anytime someone makes a comment.

While  was a nice offer please keep your whistle. Please also use it when the need arises. I will gladly purchase one when I sign up. Besides I want to tell everyone how much I spent "for the kids"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

Typical response from an official. If you had been consistent as I been talking about since the beginning of this topic and actually read the post, you would have seen I have already stated that I fully plan to do just that. I currently have a kid involved in high school sports and as soon as he graduates I will be more than happy to sign up. 

I have looked at the current crop of officials which I have observed and determined I have enough of the qualities they possess to call the games. I have the ability to blame the moms and dads and fans for my inconsistent calls. Call from the opposite side of the floor even when another official had better position. Talk to coaches instead of watching the players while the clock is running. Be either too old or too over weight or too lazy to be able to move up and down the floor. And practice saying "well why don't you get a whistle and get out here" to be ready anytime someone makes a comment.

While  was a nice offer please keep your whistle. Please also use it when the need arises. I will gladly purchase one when I sign up. Besides I want to tell everyone how much I spent "for the kids"

I yell at the officials as much as anyone. Probably more than I should.

However, your response is the typical. If you are going to start a thread to rant on the officials, expect to ask more of yourself than to complain about others doing what you can't do. Get out there and show how it should be done.

Refs, I will probably yell at you tonight but I do appreciate the position you are in.

49 minutes ago, DCDadCoachFan said:

Looks like you are from Dyer Co. which means you will be in the Northwest Association. Cant wait to meet you

3 hours ago, Hubbard said:

I yell at the officials as much as anyone. Probably more than I should.

However, your response is the typical. If you are going to start a thread to rant on the officials, expect to ask more of yourself than to complain about others doing what you can't do. Get out there and show how it should be done.

Refs, I will probably yell at you tonight but I do appreciate the position you are in.

Well I was trying to be sarcastic but I can see why you think it was a rant. My purpose has simply been to try to understand and get people thinking where and how to get better officiated games. But all you ever get is " here's my whistle you do it" or "sign up and you get yelled at " or "I do it for the kids". That's the typical responses I was making fun of. Anyway I guess as long as people buy the BS lines we can saddle ourselves with mediocre to poor. We ask the kids to get better to play the game but its taboo to ask refs to get better or for better refs. I fully intend to get out there "for the kids"

Heard a very good official say he wonders why he takes time away from his wife and kids to get yelled at by people who most don’t know the rules.  The verbal abuse is just not worth it

Fans think they know more than the officials.  Truth still remains that on every whistle half the crowd doesn’t like it.  Most of the officials are doing their best. Nobody’s perfect.  I watch NBA  and NFL refs with instant replay and they still get it wrong.    

Enjoy the game and stop yelling. You are only embarrassing yourself and your kids  

• Like 1