How about this playoff plan??

FridayMainEvent

2 minutes ago, FreeAgent11 said:

At the Semi final mark I would of had 1. South Pittsburg #2 Greenback #3 Cornersville #4 Lake County

South Pittsburg would of played Lake County and Greenback would of played Cornersville.  South Pitt and Greenback would of hosted.  

That my friend is the only real issue with this idea.   In order to get the best two teams in, the two lower seeds would of had an extremely long trip.   But, I think they would of made only one trip, because I think the #1 and #2 would of won and played in the title.

That's pretty good point! 

36 minutes ago, NWTNExpert said:

How about the fans, media & wannabe media members be just what they are supposed to be - fans, media & wannabe media. 

Simplicity is best. The players & coaches will decide whom will play for the championship each year by settling it on the field. 

Obviously totally missed the point!   What exactly is a "wannabe" media member anyway?   Either you are a member of the media with credentials or you're not.     Please explain.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:41 AM, FreeAgent11 said:

The benefit would be season's when one side of the State is much stronger than the other side, you'd have an avenue to get the actual two best teams to the title game.   I think you guys are overlooking that.   There are a few media outlets that don't claim a team and cover the whole state.   Murphy Fair and Donovan Stewart are two examples.   Granted, Donovan is from Jasper, but I think he'd be unbiased in the fact he communicates with every Coach Statewide as does Murphy.  

Sir I respect your efforts in covering high school football statewide.  I have even enjoyed some of  your coverage. 

I really like the way the playoffs are done right now it is what I wanted it changed back to from the Z-plan.  I do not care if one year the best two teams are on one side of the state or the other and meet in the semi finals.  I do not want the Semifinals played at a neutral site or changed in any way from how it is currently setup.  

I am aware that the media is at a crossroads in finding ways to stay in business.  I am aware that the media may benefit greatly from what you suggest.  However, I DO NOT want the media playing ANY role in determining ANY aspect of the football playoffs.  I am not sure WHICH coaches you refer to that are in favor of this idea.  This coach says,"No Thanks!"  Look forward to your continued unbiased coverage with no say in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, riverrat said:

Sir I respect your efforts in covering high school football statewide.  I have even enjoyed some of  your coverage. 

I really like the way the playoffs are done right now it is what I wanted it changed back to from the Z-plan.  I do not care if one year the best two teams are on one side of the state or the other and meet in the semi finals.  I do not want the Semifinals played at a neutral site or changed in any way from how it is currently setup.  

I am aware that the media is at a crossroads in finding ways to stay in business.  I am aware that the media may benefit greatly from what you suggest.  However, I DO NOT want the media playing ANY role in determining ANY aspect of the football playoffs.  I am not sure WHICH coaches you refer to that are in favor of this idea.  This coach says,"No Thanks!"  Look forward to your continued unbiased coverage with no say in the playoffs.

I don't know that any Coaches are in favor of it.   My guess is, there not.   This idea was solely driven by the fans complaining year in and year out that the "Championship" is often played in the semi-final round.   I'm not naïve enough to see this ever happening.   I was simply throwing it out for discussion.   Oh, and I don't see any benefit to me for doing this other than it would make for interesting conversation leading into the semi-finals.

1 hour ago, riverrat said:

I also much prefer the current format over the "Z-plan" also.   Hate that some good teams are sometimes left out like Mt. Pleasant at 7-3 this year, but that also happened on occasion under the Z-plan.

4 hours ago, FreeAgent11 said:

I talked to Coaches all over the State every week during the season.   I've interviewed Coaches from all classes and all over the State just as those guys have.    I think they'd love to see the "best" possible title game just as I would.    I'm just saying you would need folks that have a heartbeat on the whole State, not just their coverage area.   That's why the AP polls are such a freaking mess.   The writers vote their local teams too high and don't put in the work to see what's happening Statewide.   There were numerous examples all season of teams being ranked lower than teams they beat head to head and in some extreme cases even had a better record.   The AP poll is the biggest joke around.

9 minutes ago, FreeAgent11 said:

I don't know that any Coaches are in favor of it.   My guess is, there not.   This idea was solely driven by the fans complaining year in and year out that the "Championship" is often played in the semi-final round.   I'm not naïve enough to see this ever happening.   I was simply throwing it out for discussion.   Oh, and I don't see any benefit to me for doing this other than it would make for interesting conversation leading into the semi-finals.

This confused me.  Then again, sometimes I confuse myself.

It is a long off season.  Keep throwing topics out there, I am sure we will find somethings we can agree on.  Sure passes the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, riverrat said:

This confused me.  Then again, sometimes I confuse myself.

It is a long off season.  Keep throwing topics out there, I am sure we will find somethings we can agree on.  Sure passes the time.

The "They" I was referring to was Donovan and Murphy.   I meant "they" have interviewed Coaches from all over the State and  "they" would put aside any insinuated "bias" by other posters in favor of seeing the best matchup.   

On 12/12/2017 at 9:01 PM, Ole3putt said:

How a bout a “ just 4- classification playoff.  Top 3 in each region? I’ll wait for the comments.  Lol 

I have been saying this for years.  With 4 classes, there would probably endup being 2 districts per region so it would likely be 2 from each since the districts would probably have similar numbers to current regions. . 

Edited by rlh
  • Like 1