West, middle and East all area teams

Playerscoach

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/27/tennessean-midstate-girls-soccer-team/108917952/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/912301001

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/27/prepxtra-girls-soccer-team/108918046/

BTW the United Coaches Association is an odd group. Voting is based on the number of coaches in a particular state compared to other states. TN gets very few votes compared to other states because of low numbers of coaches in that association. Multiple players in TN were named all American and nominated by their own high school coaches. 

Congrats to all the players and schools mentioned for these teams. Many good players were left off these lists though. Also, the lists have players up for their respective areas Player of the Year that I have watched play for many years and it's neat to see their names on them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/28/2017 at 10:04 AM, MoonDogRex said:

It's my understanding only a small percentage of TN coaches are memebers and vote. It's an honor though.

Its interesting to me that UTC has the most committs of any school in the 2019 class with Perrusquia, a super star for years on the 19 Lobos team, in Memphis considered by college coaches I've talked to as the best player in Memphis. In Knoxville UTC has committed  Anderson from West that has college coaches loving her size, speed, athleticism combination. Middle TN has a POY candidate heading to UTC as well.

Edited by Playerscoach

On 12/28/2017 at 10:04 AM, MoonDogRex said:

Ohio had 14 girls on the team. Why? Per a national writer for Top Drawer its because if the large number of coaches in OH that vote their players onto the team. I had this conversation months ago with him because of a player I am familiar with being named to the all American watch list. 

Good for the kids though!

Although coach McKinney would have liked a greater number of wins this year, it certainly seems he is building a strong team going forward.   UTC should start making strides next season in the SoCon.   It will be interesting to watch them in a couple of years after his recruits have learned his system and developed chemistry.

19 hours ago, MountainVol said:

Although coach McKinney would have liked a greater number of wins this year, it certainly seems he is building a strong team going forward.   UTC should start making strides next season in the SoCon.   It will be interesting to watch them in a couple of years after his recruits have learned his system and developed chemistry.

They struggled scoring this year and teams just kept attacking them because of it. The twins from SC are going to be excellent players next year as freshman for UTC. They have a large class of juniors now so the growth of them plus the talented newcomers should help to improve their record. However, they have very little attacking depth so any injuries to their key players would be a huge setback.

The following year the 2019 player from Memphis I mentioned earlier is really going to help that team. She can play just about every field position and IMO is the most versatile and underrated player in TN for 2019. She's easily in the discussion for top three players in the state with White (CB) from Franklin (USA U17 National Pool/Clemson) and Douglas (F/M) (USA National training/Lipscomb) from Cheatham County. Lawrence in Chattanooga (undecided?) and Anderson (UTC) in Knoxville are also very good players.

The middle TN schools will be interesting to watch and see what their classes look like.  Belmont, MTSU, Austin Peay, Lipscomb, TTU have some TN kids committed that I am familiar with. 

That may all be true. But making predictions about how club players will translate to college players is difficult, at best. The work load is much higher. The expectations are much higher. The personal stress is much higher. The way these kids handle those changes is the real question. Unfortunately for coaches, that's darn near impossible to predict. 

6 hours ago, 1925Kee said:

That may all be true. But making predictions about how club players will translate to college players is difficult, at best. The work load is much higher. The expectations are much higher. The personal stress is much higher. The way these kids handle those changes is the real question. Unfortunately for coaches, that's darn near impossible to predict. 

I agree but you have to think not all highly talented players in each signing class will struggle. I think coaches across the full spectrum of sports will tell you its always about the Jimmy's and Joe's. UTC has some pretty good ones coming in. Go to Belmont, Lipscomb, MTSU, UTC, etc... and look at Garst, McKay, Jordan/Depriest, Arnold, etc... All were highly thought of players that are performing very well for their respective programs. 

10 hours ago, MountainVol said:

I watched a UTC game with the Arnold girl.  She was fast and appeared to be very tall as is the girl from Canada.  Is that the stance the UTC coaching staff is taking in their recruitment?

I'm not sure about that? My daughter is 5'8" so she doesn't fit that mold. However, that makes her the smallest of the 2019's. I am aware of smaller players they are interested in though. 

What I want to know is how many of these signees actually play all 4 years (or even more than one season) at these schools.  

Too many players, sadly, either stop playing or transfer even after one semester.

What would impress me is NOT when clubs post all of the Division 1 schools that there players are attending... what would impress me is to see these girls play all four years for a program.

We put way too much emphasis on division and too little emphasis on the RIGHT program.