West, middle and East all area teams

Playerscoach

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Mckinney hasn't been there for 12 years. Gotta flip the roster. UTCs best players this past year were freshman and sophomores.

Plenty of very good players have passed through that system EVERY year. You just dissed all of them. I don't agree with the idea that a new coach "simply needs to get 'his' kids into the system." Turning a program around has a lot more nuance than just that. It's way too easy to say the new coach "just got better players." There are a host of issues at any school that is struggling on the win/loss column: institutional commitment is certainly among them. Funding. Scholarships. Facilities. Recruiting. Coaching.

I agree with Elmer above on at least one thing: it's impressive to see these girls last all four years. Look at any college roster and look at how many upperclassmen are there. MANY programs are loaded with freshmen and sophomores. Why don't they "make" it?

4 hours ago, 1925Kee said:

Plenty of very good players have passed through that system EVERY year. You just dissed all of them. I don't agree with the idea that a new coach "simply needs to get 'his' kids into the system." Turning a program around has a lot more nuance than just that. It's way too easy to say the new coach "just got better players." There are a host of issues at any school that is struggling on the win/loss column: institutional commitment is certainly among them. Funding. Scholarships. Facilities. Recruiting. Coaching.

I agree with Elmer above on at least one thing: it's impressive to see these girls last all four years. Look at any college roster and look at how many upperclassmen are there. MANY programs are loaded with freshmen and sophomores. Why don't they "make" it?

Carson Newman has a new coach this past season, and made it to the NCAA championship match without "his players".

Like in the movie miracle, it isn't the "best players" that make the best teams.  It is the RIGHT players.  

5 hours ago, 1925Kee said:

I "dissed all if them"??? Lol Saying that overall roster had to be flipped, after years of being at the bottom of all D1, is a fact. There were some good players there but not enough to keep UTC from  being at the bottom of the conference every year. You actually mentioned several factors that attract better players like funding (UTC changed), university commitment (yes again), facilities (another yes), coaching (the Mckinney hire), recruiting (UTC has a plan), etc...

Its obvious when Mckinney signed a dozen or so players three years ago, then played them their freshman year, that he thought he needed more of his type players. You can disagree but the roster and results prove otherwise and no I didn't "diss" every player in the history of the UTC program. 

Edited by Playerscoach

He didn't play all of them their freshman year. He played some of them. That's pretty standard throughout college soccer. Over the past several years, upperclassmen have played a key role in UTC's seasons. They've done pretty well, even did reasonably well in his first season, when the majority of players were not "his." Many of the girls graduating this year have been huge contributors to the program. That's my only point. 

3 hours ago, 1925Kee said:

He didn't play all of them their freshman year. He played some of them. That's pretty standard throughout college soccer. Over the past several years, upperclassmen have played a key role in UTC's seasons. They've done pretty well, even did reasonably well in his first season, when the majority of players were not "his." Many of the girls graduating this year have been huge contributors to the program. That's my only point. 

Good point. I've enjoyed watching them play. 

I did not realize coach McKinney took his last job, Cumberland College, to national championship appearances until I looked at his bio.

With the talent he has recruited into UTC, 2018 should be the year he makes a move in the SoCon.  The 2 girls from SC are supposed to be talented.  If the 2019 class has talent in it, his roster and game results should reflect it.

5 hours ago, MountainVol said:

I did not realize coach McKinney took his last job, Cumberland College, to national championship appearances until I looked at his bio.

With the talent he has recruited into UTC, 2018 should be the year he makes a move in the SoCon.  The 2 girls from SC are supposed to be talented.  If the 2019 class has talent in it, his roster and game results should reflect it.

I looked at the UTC statistics. Only four points for upperclassmen. No goals for the upperclassmen. The top 13 players showed only four upperclassmen.

The 2018 class is good with the twins from SC holding ACC offers. They will be the players I am most interested in seeing this season.

IMO the 2019 class has the best player in west TN in Briarcrests Perrusquia. She can play any of the field positions and has the size, speed, and technical ability to have an impact. 

I am not familar with the 2018's as much but Hash from TSC is a good player. I hope Mckinney can get more W's for that program in 2018.

4 hours ago, MountainVol said:

How many 2019s have committed?  Typically, how many does a D1 school take with each class?

The Mocnation had four 2019's listed. I am not sure how big the class is?  I've not seen small classes very often. With kids transferring so often and a typical roster between 21-25 kids (I'm guessing based on the rosters I just reviewed) a class of five might be smallish?

I have heard quite a bit about the one and done transferring of many players when they get to college.  Neither many high school nor club coaches do a good enough job in explaining to their players how different and important college and one's college choice is.  It would be interesting to see the percentage of commitments who ultimately graduate from their college of choice.  I have heard figures in the 25-30% range.