Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

kwc

1 of the 10 Memphis area high school sports storylines to watch for 2018 (Girls Soccer)

Recommended Posts

On 1/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, Playerscoach said:

Know several players on that team. They all play for the Lobos team that is the third best team in TN. If Williamson county and the private schools didn't dilute the talent across 10 schools Houston would lose 10/10 times they played. Good for them though. 

By the way, this isn't the club site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Canesoverhere said:

By the way, this isn't the club site.

This has always intrigued me as, at least in east Tennessee, the best high school players are also club players.  The powerhouse teams, Bearden, Farragut, Greeneville, etc. are stoked with high level club players.

Why does this site seem to shy away from the fact that without clubbers, Tennessee high school soccer would be almost unwatchable.  We have all watched with pity the non-club high school teams with no form, no build, and no momentum.

I would think embracing both hs and club would be appropriate and wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 7:44 PM, Canesoverhere said:

Yeah,    And if Caesar had B52s....    wow. At first I thought this came from Chattanooga.    Shame on you.   

What an accomishment Houston.  BooYah!!!

Shame for what? Commenting that the talent isn't as diluted in Memphis as it is in Williamson County? Shame for speaking the truth? BTW I also added that Franklin had similar results before the talent was diluted. 

Houston is a perineal state champion contender so whats the issue with pointing out the talent talented players that are attracted to that program. Good for Houston!

I think it's hilarious that you fail to acknowledge the obvious here. Congratulating Houston and pointing out a reason why they are successful doesn't diminish their accomplishments at all. It simply gives one reason for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MountainVol said:

This has always intrigued me as, at least in east Tennessee, the best high school players are also club players.  The powerhouse teams, Bearden, Farragut, Greeneville, etc. are stoked with high level club players.

Why does this site seem to shy away from the fact that without clubbers, Tennessee high school soccer would be almost unwatchable.  We have all watched with pity the non-club high school teams with no form, no build, and no momentum.

I would think embracing both hs and club would be appropriate and wise.

The teams that have the most club players dominate HS soccer. Without them it would be a shell of what it is from a skill and talent perspective. Apparently pointing out that several of the best club players in Memphis attend Houston every year while other areas, specifically the most talent rich county in the state, have the talent diluted is a bad thing? 

I don't live in Williamson county but I can tell you where the highest concentration of top talent is located in TN. My comment about them losing 10/10 if the talent wasn't diluted doesn't diminish their accomplishment but shows the concerted effort of the local kids to keep that program flourishing. 

Houston has been a great program for over three decades now and I pointed out a big reason why. The fact KWC got upset about it is just another example of the child he is on here. I literally loathe the guy for his constant theatrics. It's just silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, let me get this straight.  You are sharing that People who play for the Lobos which contain players from several counties including several in Mississippi move to Shelby County and specifically the Houston school district to just play for one high school. 

And that the People who live in Williamson and surrounding counties who play for some club there, choose to live in difference school districts.

Is it me or does it seem more like there are greater chances than the players in the latter example are trying to create a SuperClub situation rather than those players in the first example who don't uproot their families and move into a costly real estate area just for their son or daughter to play high school soccer for one school ( which based on my understanding has very little to do with college recruitment).  

I think you may have things #### backwards my friend.  If that was the case, Houston would be the only team makigng the trip to Murfreesboro, and if you look at the final. it was an all west final..and SGIS was also state champ.

You may also wish to consider that Briarcrest, Collierville ECS and SGIS seem to have state run teams as well, so, I'm thinking there are other programs that dilute the West's teams as well.  

Then again, you also need to realize Houston is not a senior heavy team and has each class year represented, which also dilutes your hypothesis.

Prep Soccer is Prep Soccer.  Club Soccer is Club Soccer.  It is difficult to draw comparison,  Very much like a Fantasy   

Again.  Congrats Houston and Collierville and SGIS and Briarcrest on your seasons.

 

We can't all win state champions,

but you can:

1. Dilute the "State Champion" buy creating 6 different ones

2. critique the system when your school doesn't win

 

 

  

Edited by Canesoverhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canesoverhere said:

So, let me get this straight.  You are sharing that People who play for the Lobos which contain players from several counties including several in Mississippi move to Shelby County and specifically the Houston school district to just play for one high school. 

And that the People who live in Williamson and surrounding counties who play for some club there, choose to live in difference school districts.

Is it me or does it seem more like there are greater chances than the players in the latter example are trying to create a SuperClub situation rather than those players in the first example who don't uproot their families and move into a costly real estate area just for their son or daughter to play high school soccer for one school ( which based on my understanding has very little to do with college recruitment).  

I think you may have things #### backwards my friend.  If that was the case, Houston would be the only team makigng the trip to Murfreesboro, and if you look at the final. it was an all west final..and SGIS was also state champ.

You may also wish to consider that Briarcrest, Collierville ECS and SGIS seem to have state run teams as well, so, I'm thinking there are other programs that dilute the West's teams as well.  

Then again, you also need to realize Houston is not a senior heavy team and has each class year represented, which also dilutes your hypothesis.

Prep Soccer is Prep Soccer.  Club Soccer is Club Soccer.  It is difficult to draw comparison,  Very much like a Fantasy   

Again.  Congrats Houston and Collierville and SGIS and Briarcrest on your seasons.

 

We can't all win state champions,

but you can:

1. Dilute the "State Champion" buy creating 6 different ones

2. critique the system when your school doesn't win

 

 

  

Your question where you said "is it me" can be answered by saying yes, it is you. 

Houston is a perineal contender and has been since the 1990's. Ironically, thats the same time period Franklin was running roughshod over the rest of the state. There were only a few schools to dilute the talent as opposed to roughly 20 public and private schools now. I would also add that the vast majority of top team players who play for the  club team in Williamson county live in Williamson county. For instance, the top team travel team in the state (TSC19) for the upcoming high school year has 19 players that represent 14 different schools and 3/4 of them live in Williamson county.That team, like almost all the TSC teams for many years, won the state championship and TSC has placed multiple players in the National pool. They've also yearly placed players at Duke, NC, Clemson, Louisville, UT, Vandy, etc... BTW almost all those players lived in Williamson county. Another note is the four kids that recently wore a USA jersey in TN went to Ravenwood, Franklin, BGA, and Independence. 

I have no issue whatsoever with Houston winning and the next time I see the kids I know on that team I'll congratulate them. 

BTW you last point #2 doesn't apply to me. My childs school is in Div 2A not AAA so If that was directed at me it's incorrect. 

 

Edited by Playerscoach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well .  Congratulations to TSC19.  They have been playing together for 10 plus years, they should be good.

On the other hand, High school, well, at least Houston,  doesn't play with a senior squad.  Multiple players on that team are underclassman.  So, that sort of lets the air out of your Club post again.

The reality here is that Wolff can  (1) get the most out of any player but more importantly, get 11-15 players to function more like a team than any other high school team.  That is one of the primary reasons for his success.  Yes, he has great talent, so does Briarcrest, SGIS, and Collierville.  He just gets them to play as a team quicker.

And what a coincidence, Memphis has multiple players who played for the US National Team....we must live in the same country.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, Canesoverhere said:

Well .  Congratulations to TSC19.  They have been playing together for 10 plus years, they should be good.

On the other hand, High school, well, at least Houston,  doesn't play with a senior squad.  Multiple players on that team are underclassman.  So, that sort of lets the air out of your Club post again.

The reality here is that Wolff can  (1) get the most out of any player but more importantly, get 11-15 players to function more like a team than any other high school team.  That is one of the primary reasons for his success.  Yes, he has great talent, so does Briarcrest, SGIS, and Collierville.  He just gets them to play as a team quicker.

And what a coincidence, Memphis has multiple players who played for the US National Team....we must live in the same country.

 

 

 

Doesn't let the air out of anything because almost all the TSC teams in all the high school age groups won, or were finalists, the state and two participated in the finals for the national championship. One repeated as the national champion. Nice try but a miss nonetheless. 

What player in Memphis has recently participated in the National pool? Name them. None of the 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020's that I am aware of?  Maybe you are referring to Parlow in 1995?

As for TSC 19/2001's it formed last year not 10 years ago. Only very few of those players have played more than five or six years together.  Collectively they just started. Another miss by you. 

Look, I get it. You disagree with my assertion that the most talent rich county (not debatable) in the state has diluted talent thus creating an opportunity for Houston to be a perineal contender.  However, the facts shown yearly in the travel league results prove my point as do the yearly high school results. Houstons a great program with some very good players while the Williamson county programs have great talent spread out over dozens of public and private schools. It's just a fact but doesn't diminish Houstons accomplishments whatsoever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO . what your basically saying is, the best club girls in all of Williamson county could beat one high school in the west....I'm comfortable with that

Congratulations Houston for being named the #1 Team in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×