1 of the 10 Memphis area high school sports storylines to watch for 2018 (Girls Soccer)

kwc

According to TSSAA, you can't start practice before some time in, I think, July. I don't know if they consider "workouts" different from practice, and I don't know if they enforce their own rule consistently. I did see one team fined last year for practicing before July--forget who it was. I would guess that if workouts are limited to training, fitness, weights, cardio, etc, that it is not considered practice and could then start earlier. Don't know if that's a fact or not. 

No restrictions in summer other than the Dead period. (although most clubs are still going through July so that affects numbers) so most programs start their preseason in June, break during the dead period and then camp in July with the season starting in August. Much easier to start the season as a girls program than the boys as being in school brings with it added commitments and restrictions from TSSAA. Boys can't even have tryouts until the first official day of practice in February unless they choose to do it during the summer window.

Hope this helps.

schedule.JPG

If you buy the notion that two-a-days can easily lead to over-training, the boys' season is just fine with plenty of time to prepare. First practice date is February 12, and first official game is March 12. At 4 full weeks of preseason, that's 20 weekdays (not including possible Saturdays) at 2 hours per day for 40 hours of preparation before the season begins. Now, if you are relying on winter sports athletes to join up with the team then, yes, this can be a problem. 

But the girls can start July 23, 2018 and can play their first contest on August 13. That is "only" 3 weeks of preseason before the first official game.

Technically the girls can start the first day after their school year has ended (usually late May or early June). And of course they cannot do anything during the 2 week dead period. The July 23 date only has to do with player eligibility.

As for boys, I think they could afford to begin practice a few weeks earlier just because it’s almost guaranteed they’ll miss a significant amount due to the amount of rain and snow we usually get in February and early March.

3 hours ago, MoonDogRex said:

If you buy the notion that two-a-days can easily lead to over-training, the boys' season is just fine with plenty of time to prepare. First practice date is February 12, and first official game is March 12. At 4 full weeks of preseason, that's 20 weekdays (not including possible Saturdays) at 2 hours per day for 40 hours of preparation before the season begins. Now, if you are relying on winter sports athletes to join up with the team then, yes, this can be a problem. 

But the girls can start July 23, 2018 and can play their first contest on August 13. That is "only" 3 weeks of preseason before the first official game.

The issue is not the training, the issue is the logistics for programs to set your roster and order equipment. If you can't set your team until Feb 12th and you have 4 weeks to get sizing, orders, screen printing, not to mention fees from parents who don't have $$ to just hand over then it becomes more of an issue. This has pushed some programs to hold tryouts in the summer, which is an option but doesn't work for those with club commitments or schools that have high transfer rates.

As far as practice, and training I have no issues. But at least let us have tryouts in January (just one day or a few day window like football does with spring training) so we have time to order equipment an work out budgets with set numbers. Not all programs have the financial support to make things happen quickly so that extra month would be appreciated.

44 minutes ago, PowellBoysSoccer said:

The issue is not the training, the issue is the logistics for programs to set your roster and order equipment. If you can't set your team until Feb 12th and you have 4 weeks to get sizing, orders, screen printing, not to mention fees from parents who don't have $$ to just hand over then it becomes more of an issue. This has pushed some programs to hold tryouts in the summer, which is an option but doesn't work for those with club commitments or schools that have high transfer rates.

As far as practice, and training I have no issues. But at least let us have tryouts in January (just one day or a few day window like football does with spring training) so we have time to order equipment an work out budgets with set numbers. Not all programs have the financial support to make things happen quickly so that extra month would be appreciated.

Completely agree with this. Tough to collect funds, plan fundraisers, and figure out who's on the roster all within 30 days. Add to that the difficulty of boys in basketball and wrestling who cannot attend soccer early in the year and you have problems to overcome, right out of the gate. 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:52 AM, Canesoverhere said:

SO . what your basically saying is, the best club girls in all of Williamson county could beat one high school in the west....I'm comfortable with that

Congratulations Houston for being named the #1 Team in the US

Nope. Im saying Houston has a higher percentage of the top club players from the Lobos playing for them compared to the teams in Williamson county. Maybe that'll clear it up for you? I'm not confident it will though because you seem kinda emotional anout it.

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2018 at 1:32 PM, Playerscoach said:

Know several players on that team. They all play for the Lobos team that is the third best team in TN. If Williamson county and the private schools didn't dilute the talent across 10 schools Houston would lose 10/10 times they played. Good for them though. 

Wow.  I guess those Willy county schools had other plans for this week?  Looks like all of the LOBOS teams are advancing at Regionals  

00/99 - Finals    01 - Playing in Semis   02 Playing in Semis   03 - Playing in Semis.  

21 hours ago, Canesoverhere said:

Wow.  I guess those Willy county schools had other plans for this week?  Looks like all of the LOBOS teams are advancing at Regionals  

00/99 - Finals    01 - Playing in Semis   02 Playing in Semis   03 - Playing in Semis.  

Lol, Thats cute. Congrats, It's good to win in the 2nd division. It's like the NIT for soccer.

FYI the ECNL (Top US division) Champions league finals (top 25 teams nationally) were in Seattle this week. Little PC just got back today after going 2-0-1 and tying Davis Legacy CA and their U17 national team superstar Maya Doms (TSC beat them 3-1 in April). TSC sent three teams (01,02,04) . The 01's waxed the Lobos 01 when they wanted a tune up before regionals. I think they had 3 shots to TSC's 15 and struggled to do much of anything but play the long ball because they couldn't possess the ball. That same TSC01 team went 21-1-5 in the ECNL this year and were ranked #5 nationally. 

FC Alliance (ECNL) didn't send any teams to the champions league tournament but they are much stronger than the Lobos. Heck, FC Alliance has the best 01's in the state other than TSC. 

Congrats to the Lobos though. :)

I have a question for Canes.  With the population of the Memphis metro area, as well as the surrounding good-sized towns, why has the Lobos organization not joined the ECNL program?  I would think they would have the talent and staff to compete with those teams.  Although my daughter is an average talent at best, I always challenge her to play against better players and teams to try and improve herself.  With the level of players in West Tennessee, it would seem a natural segue for the Lobos to join the ECNL group.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, MountainVol said:

I have a question for Canes.  With the population of the Memphis metro area, as well as the surrounding good-sized towns, why has the Lobos organization not joined the ECNL program?  I would think they would have the talent and staff to compete with those teams.  Although my daughter is an average talent at best, I always challenge her to play against better players and teams to try and improve herself.  With the level of players in West Tennessee, it would seem a natural segue for the Lobos to join the ECNL group.

I was told they have applied multiple times and not been selected. There are several criteria and it looks like right now FC Alliance and TSC met those better.  With the DA teams coming back to the league and the recent expansion I am not sure the outlook is very good of getting in for the neat future? Maybe I'm wrong though?

It does have a large population and the youth program is good. I speak to a board member (daughter plays for Collierville)  at the Lobos fairly often and he said that FC Alliance and TSC  had a better chance of getting in the ECNL than the Lobos. He said they were considered the third best club in the state so that would leave them without a travel partner to league games.