Middle School Rankings

JSamson7

I apologize for not posting something about any middle school rankings sooner, but I have been in contact with Hamm and a few other MS coaches around the state about putting together rankings through Pin-TN.com much the same way those guys do for the high school level. I would estimate I'm about 80% complete based on all of the results from tournaments starting from early October to now across the state (as well as national level events). I would prefer to have each wrestler associated with their TNAA club teams as opposed to their school sanctioned team (i.e. Higher Calling WC over Cleveland MS) since there are many wrestlers who aren't on a school sanctioned team. This may be prove to be a little difficult since not all kids wrestle TNAAU, but any feedback from the CoachT community is greatly appreciated getting them straightened out.

I may on occasion ask for a "Fact Check" just to make sure the rankings as accurate as possible, but ultimately everything will be settled at the TNAAU state tournament in February. The plan is to have the first set of rankings after this weekend's TNAAU Top 100 tournament in Chattanooga. I will only be ranking the Middle School/Schoolboy kids, it would be too difficult to throw the Junior age kids in there even if there are a few worthy of consideration. Again any feedback is appreciated and good luck to all the wrestlers going to Chattanooga this weekend!

Edited by JSamson7

Anyone looking to take this on, in my opinion, is a bit of a masochist.  The amount of events you would have to go through to do it right, assumptions you would need to make, etc. make my head hurt.  Of course that is if you take a super detailed approach to it like I do / did with DII rankings.

Ultimately I would rather that there not be rankings for middle school kids but this is a personal opinion.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ghouse said:

Anyone looking to take this on, in my opinion, is a bit of a masochist.  The amount of events you would have to go through to do it right, assumptions you would need to make, etc. make my head hurt.  Of course that is if you take a super detailed approach to it like I do / did with DII rankings.

Ultimately I would rather that there not be rankings for middle school kids but this is a personal opinion.

Oh I agree, but thankfully I have a pretty sweet computer setup for my job which includes me working in front of it everyday researching stuff. Three monitors, one super fast computer, 10 or more Trackwrestling pages up at one time as well as a little bit of help from you guys and I think it'll work. I can have up to 4-5 different tournament brackets at time in front of me to use for comparison which has made it alot faster to go through all 22 TNAAU classes. 

I'm not too worried about the ridicule though. Durdon did a good job of it in the past for the MS kids but I feel I can make a few improvements based on the tools I have. I am a firm believer in your approach though of being meticulous and will take any advice under consideration.

Edited by JSamson7

1 hour ago, durdon said:

The MS kids and parents really like the rankings a lot.  It really drives interest in the sport.  

Good luck with the rankings..  it is a lot of work..  I’m sure you will improve on what I did.  

I get your point but working with middle school kids for 20+ years I can assure you that I for one really don't care about what they want or the parents want.  Not saying that I don't care about them because I do.   I would like to have a relationship with Farrah Fawcett but that isn't going to happen so I am not going to get what I want.  Now that we are even and no one is going to get what they want we all just need to get back to the job at hand and that is trying to get better.