Officiating - time to change your tune

MCbobcats

I have played . I have been a ref and have coached . Complaining about the refs is always going to be a problem . It's our society today we just like to complain ., we tell our kids just don't let it come down to a call . Teams or coaches that blame refs for a loss are not helping their kids succeed in life or society . It's been part of the game forever . Yes refs are going to miss calls and not be consistent and that does aggravate me . I tell our kids you have to adapt on how they are calling the game . My biggest thing with the game today is our reaction to the refs . Why can't coaches talk to refs calmly and get an answer some refs won't even respond or just give you a tech . Badgering refs as coaches or players who argue or make faces don't do them any favors with refs . When that 50/50 call comes you won't get it . We have started having our players go shake the refs hands after the game regardless . It's a thankless job and the good ones won't last they will just move up so middle school and high school will be left with the ones that are average or just want that check . Good luck to all and hope you have a great season . 

And this thread right hear just reaffirms my beliefs that in a generation or two interschoolastic sports will be on life support or dead. Because of know-it-all jackwagon fans who think they everything and couldn't keep their mouths shut for a $20 bill. There won't be enough officials who think putting up with fans' crap is worth leaving work early and missing out time with their family. 

Have fun calling the games yourself folks.

• Upvote 1

I do believe most refs are impartial and do the best they can do. 

I believe some people who are officiating the game should not be.  We have some refs who have a very hard time making it up and down the court and because of this are in a bad position to see and make calls.  At the same time, becasue of the pressure put on the officials by fans and coaches during a game, I know it is hard to find people who are willing to do this job.  I for one would not want to be a basketball official.  

I always tried to believe that officials were not "cheating" a team.  That did become real hard to believe earlier this year at a junior high game with TSSAA officials.  A Refs child should not sit with the home team, wear the home teams colors, and come out on the court with the home team while his father officiates the game.  This one ref made almost all his calls against the visiting team.. I did feel sorry for the official calling with him.  You could tell he was in a tough situation and he even apologized to some fans for his partners officiating.

12 hours ago, crazzyness said:

And this thread right hear just reaffirms my beliefs that in a generation or two interschoolastic sports will be on life support or dead. Because of know-it-all jackwagon fans who think they everything and couldn't keep their mouths shut for a $20 bill. There won't be enough officials who think putting up with fans' crap is worth leaving work early and missing out time with their family. 

Have fun calling the games yourself folks.

Herr-Volt Comrade Ref ! 

Typical reply. No more comments needed that haven't been said.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, MCbobcats said:

I believe I addressed the consistency factor - A foul is a foul and should be called regardless of which team it is on.

Calling officials by name should never happen.   Posts on FB by church people encouraging fans to yell at officials and posting pictures on FB implying the officials were cheating for a team is not okay.    This is not the example we should be setting 

Yes. A foul is a foul. Should be called but it is not happening from on possession to the next.

I`m a paid fan at most games so I really don`t have a dog in this hunt on who wins, but here is what I think

For the most part I think the Refs do a good job. I saw (and checked instant replay to be sure) only two bad calls in 4 games this week, both mens` games, one was an illegal substitution that the ref allowed himself, the other was a blocking penalty where the def player was trying to draw a charge, was never touched, and "flopped" and got dingged up for a block.

Neither effected the outcome of the game.

With the speed that the more skilled teams play at, the ability that players now have in drawing fouls, and how today`s society wants to always blame somebody else for little Johnny or Sarah not being a star I think is a lot of the problem.

I have even gotten tired of listening to some loadmouth next to where we are broadcasting and show them instant replay and they still don`t beleive it!

Everybody see what they want to see, they lie to themselves, some want to be a victim and most are just stupid. If they can just be truthful that their kid isn`t as good as they pretend they are to their friends would help a lot.

Maybe they should be more concerened they(their child) leave high school with the tools to make a living than the pipe dream they are going to be a pro athlete.

At one of my games this weekend I had a grandmother set next to me and she did it the right way, she cheered for her "TEAM". Nevered booed the ref. That`s how it`s done.

I`m going to cut this short, parents are parents, there are some good ones and there are some bad ones, and until we can clone kids so there are no parents or not allow parents  to come to games or Kim Jong-un (leader of North Korea for those of you that get your news from MTV)  is put in charge of behavior at TSSAA events it won`t get better.

Edited by LastBallerStanding
add word

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, LastBallerStanding said:

I`m a paid fan at most games so I really don`t have a dog in this hunt on who wins, but here is what I think

For the most part I think the Refs do a good job. I saw (and checked instant replay to be sure) only two bad calls in 4 games this week, both mens` games, one was an illegal substitution that the ref allowed himself, the other was a blocking penalty where the def player was trying to draw a charge, was never touched, and "flopped" and got dingged up for a block.

Neither effected the outcome of the game.

With the speed that the more skilled teams play at, the ability that players now have in drawing fouls, and how today`s society wants to always blame somebody else for little Johnny or Sarah not being a star I think is a lot of the problem.

I have even gotten tired of listening to some loadmouth next to where we are broadcasting and show them instant replay and they still don`t beleive it!

Everybody see what they want to see, they lie to themselves, some want to be a victim and most are just stupid. If they can just be truthful that their kid isn`t as good as they pretend they are to their friends would help a lot.

Maybe they should be more concerened they(their child) leave high school with the tools to make a living than the pipe dream they are going to be a pro athlete.

At one of my games this weekend I had a grandmother set next to me and she did it the right way, she cheered for her "TEAM". Nevered booed the ref. That`s how it`s done.

I`m going to cut this short, parents are parents, there are some good ones and there are some bad ones, and until we can clone kids so there are no parents or not allow parents  to come to games or Kim Jong-un (leader of North Korea for those of you that get your news from MTV)  is put in charge of behavior at TSSAA events it won`t get better.

I'm jealous. I do not get to see the officiating you are privy to.

Replay can very easily be used by someone on some level to filter out the refs that by and large aren't very good even if its all they got. Use the tools available to get better officiating. It's not too much to ask.

We get the same rotation with the same crews pretty much week in and week out and results are not getting better. Its bad when you actually prepare yourself before the game on how bad its going to be and are happy when it's not as bad as it could have been.  To think everyone in the gym thinks their kid is the next Lebron is just not fact. It's just another little slur against a parent who just want consistent calls. But even so, what about the kid who will never play beyond high school or maybe the kid that is in the 30/30 club ? Do they not deserve to get the good consistent officiating also? Yes they do.

I watched a girls game other night when a girl in the 30/30 club got in the game. She was driving for a lay up. Left her feet and was wiped out by a defensive player. Ref standing in the proper position right under the goal on the side of the play. Young lady made the shot, was knocked on her back side with no whistle blown. Ref watched it all right in front of him.  BUt same guy did not mind calling a hand check a few minutes later. That young lady work all season at practice and when she finally get a chance to get on the floor, she can't get the call when its even the right call. How would you explain that on that broadcast?

DC (can I call you DC?)

Where I broadcast from seems to draw the better Refs, I should have said that. And I know that`s true and the parents at these schools don`t know how good they have it either.

Where my daughter played high school ball  we got the same kind of Refs you describe.

My question is how do you get the refs I see? 

Is the pool that small?

6 hours ago, LastBallerStanding said:

DC (can I call you DC?)

Where I broadcast from seems to draw the better Refs, I should have said that. And I know that`s true and the parents at these schools don`t know how good they have it either.

Where my daughter played high school ball  we got the same kind of Refs you describe.

My question is how do you get the refs I see? 

Is the pool that small?

Referees are assigned by the local association. I really do not the number of guys and gals it has in it. I can say this. Last week, with two games at home for our teams out of 6 refs we saw 4 twice. So a variety it has not been. We know the refs when they walk through the doors. Many by name and most by shaking our heads.

Look, i know it is not a easy job and never said it was. You do not get to be the best liked person in the gym for the night when you call a game for even the good ones who put in the effort. But we just are not seeing many good ones at all. I just do not see the effort and consistent game call unless they are after the kids for uniform issues like rolled waste bands on shorts. They are like a pitbull when they see that. lol

Edited by DCDadCoachFan
words used twice