What age to start playing tackle football?

sheppy

Really appreciate every comment.  We better circle the wagons to protect our game.  Within the past 2 days Maryland and California have legislature from politicians that want to ban tackle football until the player reaches 9th grade.  I think this is just as extreme as playing tackle football at age 5.  The Tennessee Football Coaches Association should come out with what stance they plan to take by June.  Personally, I vote for flag 5-8, modified 9-11 or 12, tackle 11 v. 11  when they reach middle school - 7th & 8th grade.  And yes we need to have coaches TEACH and COACH FUNDAMENTALS and keep the head out of the game as much as we can.  Stats show from 2007 - 20016, high school football has 46,000 less participants, 26,000 less in 2015-16.  ALARMING.

Edited by sheppy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/9/2018 at 4:36 PM, gcapride said:

Now Who's the Cheater????

Been waiting years for you to finally admit it. Admitting it is the first step to recovery.......I know, I admitted it in 2010!

There's a difference in teaching YOUR kids to hold and going all over the state and handing out free tuition and room and board to kids so they will come to your school and then teach them to hold!!

That ought to help ya get back to the good old days....lol

Wayne County has a great youth program. Although it is a goal to try and win the championship it all starts every year with teaching fundamentals of blocking and tackling the correct way, safety first. WC starts at 4 years old and while teaching what it means to be competitive you gotta make it the most fun possible. No kid is going to want to do anything at that age if they're not having fun. The first year that WC had a youth program the kids that were four were seniors on the 2011 state championship team. My take is let them play when they want, don't push them to do it but don't let them quit. I told mine once they sign up they have to finish and if they don't want to play the next year then we won't sign up. I think a kid is a lot more out to get hurt playing after they get older and not knowing what they're doing then they are as a four year old when they move like snails with all the equipment on. Just my two cents worth, hope all is having a great off season!

On 2/12/2018 at 9:20 AM, old24eagle said:

There's a difference in teaching YOUR kids to hold and going all over the state and handing out free tuition and room and board to kids so they will come to your school and then teach them to hold!!

That ought to help ya get back to the good old days....lol

THAT’S what I’m talkin about! Lol