TN Coach's Poll for 5 February-The Mountaineers Climb into the Poll

ArtusCimber

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 5 February 2018

THIS IS THE EIGHTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 26th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

CLEVELAND

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

BAYLOR

SCIENCE HILL

WILSON CENTRAL

McCALLIE

HERITAGE

NR

BRENTWOOD

SODDY-DAISY

ARLINGTON

BRADLEY CENTRAL

BEECH

NR

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: BLACKMAN, FATHER RYAN, GIBBS, HERITAGE

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArtusCimber said:

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 5 February 2018

THIS IS THE EIGHTH POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 26th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

CLEVELAND

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

BAYLOR

SCIENCE HILL

WILSON CENTRAL

McCALLIE

HERITAGE

NR

BRENTWOOD

SODDY-DAISY

ARLINGTON

BRADLEY CENTRAL

BEECH

NR

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: BLACKMAN, FATHER RYAN, GIBBS, HERITAGE

What is it the kids say these days - shaking my darn head

34 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Pretty close although i think wilson Central might be true second in AAA, so you could flip those two. After that i would flip soddy to 10th and arlington up to 9th, but at that point it doesnt really matter, but I would love to have seen that dual since both wrestled closely with Brentwood.

Too bad TSSAA doesn't wrestle for true second like they do in AAU.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

Gosh, no... hate true second.  It can be "needed" at some events where seeding isn't possible.  However, if the event is evenly remotely seeded then no need for it.  Terrible set-up for nearly all involved when it comes to actually having to wrestle true 2nd matches.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

From what I've been told, it's more like what they used to do in TNAAU. Was told there would be no true 2nd at AAU state this year bc they wanted to highlight the finals, but they would have true 2nd at the AAU region tournaments.

2 hours ago, ghouse said:

Gosh, no... hate true second.  It can be "needed" at some events where seeding isn't possible.  However, if the event is evenly remotely seeded then no need for it.  Terrible set-up for nearly all involved when it comes to actually having to wrestle true 2nd matches.

I think it's kind of stupid if you give trophies out to someone for 1st -4th not to do it. The ONLY seeding they do is from the previous years placers and heck Bradley wasn't even there so there really isn't much seeding done at all. I mean seriously if there was seeding there is no way that Wilson Central wrestles Cleveland second round and considering the butt kicking given in the finals by Cleveland to Science Hill and that Wilson Central was MUCH closer and even gave up a team point for conduct, it would be a good thing to wrestle for true second, I mean yes most year sure you really do get a true second, but this year was  kind of a jumbled mess after Cleveland. 

3 hours ago, ghouse said:

ghouse,

I agree with you on both no true second (this isn't youth wrestling) and for McCallie to drop so far after the loss to a very good CBHS team is crazy.

6 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

From what I've been told, it's more like what they used to do in TNAAU. Was told there would be no true 2nd at AAU state this year bc they wanted to highlight the finals, but they would have true 2nd at the AAU region tournaments.

6 hours ago, ghouse said:

I would argue that this isn’t remotely seeded. In fact, it’s ridiculous...as is individual states. Whoever thought seeding off of last years performance was a good idea was .... I don’t know what?

Seed the top four/8  region winning  teams, and then place the second placers on opposite side. I know,  know, Region 4s second place Team should always be seeded in the to 3, just kddng, not.

It won’t always be right, but generally, the debate will be regarding the 4th-8th seed. There is plentry of info out there.

Use track to autoseeds and and adjust...like every other tournament throughout the year, in individuals. The Regions winners should be 1-8, the regions second placers should be 9-16” I know this won’t satisfy some regions, but in general, it would be better overall.

i do agree that true second is tough on all parties.

Edited by Twofdr