Individual upsets at state

sx1234

Using Pin-Tn Rankings-

At 220 unranked Harp (Halls) beat #4 Boone (Oakland) 14-8 

And not sure if its an upset but #5 at 195 Buckman (Halls) beat #5 at 220 Miller (Wilson Central) 9-4.

Both Harp and Buckman weighed in at 195 and both matches were at 220.  My red devils failed to live up to their hype last weekend but hopefully we can have a strong showing next week!

Here's a West TN perspective, if anyone cares:

132: Jake Manuel from Houston majored Bussey from Heritage who was previously #6 at 132. (But I already told y'all to watch out for that one ;))

Another 132 from region 8, Luke Kerns from Arlington, also had a good weekend. Although he didn't secure the upset, he only lost to #1 ranked Chad Milsauskas 10-8 and was in on a few shots late in the 3rd. Milsauskas dominated the 1st, but it looked like he was getting tired by the end of the 2nd.

That should make for a good region finals match at 132.

285: Jon Worley from Arlington (NR) was winning most of the match, but ended up losing a close one to #2 ranked Titus Swafford. The match result isn't on Track, but I believe the final was 5-3 or something like that.

54 minutes ago, MemphisTiger14 said:

Here's a West TN perspective, if anyone cares:

132: Jake Manuel from Houston majored Bussey from Heritage who was previously #6 at 132. (But I already told y'all to watch out for that one ;))

Another 132 from region 8, Luke Kerns from Arlington, also had a good weekend. Although he didn't secure the upset, he only lost to #1 ranked Chad Milsauskas 10-8 and was in on a few shots late in the 3rd. Milsauskas dominated the 1st, but it looked like he was getting tired by the end of the 2nd.

That should make for a good region finals match at 132.

285: Jon Worley from Arlington (NR) was winning most of the match, but ended up losing a close one to #2 ranked Titus Swafford. The match result isn't on Track, but I believe the final was 5-3 or something like that.

People talk about 126 being the toughest this year, but I think 132 is the deepest weight class this year!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mrfixalot49 said:

He did in fact pin himself. My question is were you there to see the match?

Yea, front and center - Fri and Sat. Very good wrestler made a mistake, bet it won’t happen again. You could see the disbelief / disappointment on his face. Half the crowed didn’t know what happen until the opponents hand was raised. 

56 minutes ago, Daysareshortnightsarelong said:

Yea, front and center - Fri and Sat. Very good wrestler made a mistake, bet it won’t happen again. You could see the disbelief / disappointment on his face. Half the crowed didn’t know what happen until the opponents hand was raised. 

I'm glad you were there to see and not just making accusations based on what someone else said. I also was even in disbelief as the ref raised the other kids hand. Then realized what had just happened. Tony is a very good wrestler and I'm sure that match will stick in his head like glue. Hopefully he won't make that mistake again.

Ok here is the biggest wins from D2 tourney.. 

it wasn’t an upset since Whitwortth  beat him last year too but still a huge win for Whitwortth since Bowers dropped a weight class to wrestle him and it was a #1 vs #1. 

126 - #1 Alex Whitworth (McCallie School) over #1 @132 Garrett Bowers (CBHS) Dec 7-4

Again not an upset since Chittum was already ranked #1 at 120 but still huge wins for the 8th grader from McCallie who beat the #2 26 who dropped to wrestle him and the #2 at 120.  These were especially big wins for the 8th grader since these were the 2nd and 3rd matches of his HS career.

120 - #1 Cody Chittum (McCallie School) over #2 @126 Evan Anthony (CBHS) Dec 6-2 

120 - #1 Cody Chittum (McCallie School) over #2 Will Higgins (MBA) Fall 3:18

In a match up of 1 vs 2 at 52, Alex Atchley had a very impressive win.  

152 - #1 Alex Atchley (Baylor School) over #2 Joseph Vogelpohl (Father Ryan) Dec 5-0

in another match up of 1 vs 2, Thomas Sells had a very impressive pin.  

170 - #1 Thomas Sell (McCallie School) over #2 Montana Doty (Christian Brothers) Fall 4:43

Another incredibly impressive win was Tommy Brackett’s major win over the #2 at his weight. 

195 - #1 Tommy Brackett (Christian Brothers) over #2 Sam Reynolds (Baylor School) Maj 14-4

Not a single win but definitely the most impressive series of wins of the tournament was the absolutely dominating performance by Grayson Walthall. 

220 - #1 Grayson Walthall (CBHS) over #5 Riley Looper (McCallie School) Fall 1:22
220 - #1 Grayson Walthall (CBHS) over #3 Stephen Morgan (Baylor School) Maj 11-0
220 - #1 Grayson Walthall (Christian Brothers) over #6 Billy Sams (Grace (Knox)) Fall 1:00

Edited by durdon

1 hour ago, mrfixalot49 said:

I'm glad you were there to see and not just making accusations based on what someone else said. I also was even in disbelief as the ref raised the other kids hand. Then realized what had just happened. Tony is a very good wrestler and I'm sure that match will stick in his head like glue. Hopefully he won't make that mistake again.

Personally I do not think both his shoulder blades were touching the mat. So I was shocked when the opponents  hand was raised. It was an awkward spladle, yes his left shoulder was touching but he was pulling tight with his right if I remember correctly and that would keep the right shoulder from touching. Don’t recall what position the ref was in when he made the call, Obviously he saw otherwise.

Agree, that type of loss in that type of venue can be tough, especially when dominating the match as expected. He is a top notch wrestler, nothing but bad timing at a bad angle. Won’t happen again. 

I keep watching the video over and over. It looks as if one ref is focusing on the BW guy for the pin and turns his focus on Wilson as the other ref gets in position as if he is looking for the def pin. The BW kid looks pinned at this point. But cant see it in the video. Wilson also looks pinned unfortunately.  Yes it was a tough loss as he was dominating the match. I look for him to be on the podium next weekend.