District 10A Tournament

The Consultant

Now that the regular season is coming to a close with tournaments set to begin. Someone please explain to me how 10A/Maury County Schools who were the head of boycotting and against playing Columbia Academy has benefited their overall record and district standings? Look at each teams record from this season. Each school has blamed CA for their past unsuccessful seasons instead of digging deep looking into their own programs problems and needs. Those teams will now have to play CA in the district tournament. While CA was being avoided all the other schools were playing mediocre teams (each other) not benefitting. This decision did not benefit those schools. But in return CA benefited from it greatly by playing a tough schedule allowing them to improve and be battled tested come tourney time. District 10A could only run and hide for so long. Post season is here and the Big Bad Dawg has come calling!!

If rumors are true, it's helping by pushing CA out the door of Division I and into Division II. CA is one of two, maybe three private schools left in the entire state of Tennessee who has not joined other private schools in Division II. 

The issue wasn't as much about basketball as it was baseball and softball and CA's refusal to join the TMSAA at the middle school level. By not joining the TMSAA, it essentially allows CA to practice all middle school sports year round and the ability to recruit at the middle school level.  A huge disadvantage for public schools, all who are members of the TMSAA, which has practice restrictions and other rules much like the TSSAA. If I'm not mistaken, CA's middle school softball coach was mysteriously relieved of his duties after complaints of recruiting from the public schools last year? That happened during discussions between Maury County schools and CA about the future of competition between each other. The timing of it almost seemed like an admission of guilt itself or maybe it's just a strange coincidence?

Anyways, congrats on having a team of players from across the county and outside of Maury County while you beat teams with players whom live in and represent the communities and schools they're from. Enjoy it while you can because when the day comes that CA actually plays (Division II) private schools like themselves, they'll get taken to the woodshed. How did Goodpasture game go last year 77-42 (loss), this year 52-49 (loss), FRA 52-36(loss). 

Edited by maurycountyhoops

Again CA isn't the issue. Once Maury County Schools cross county lines for Region play they get waxed!

Most MCPS just joined TMSAA recently within the last year or so. So making it sound like all has been sanctioned is a false statement. If more were involved with TMSAA then why doesn't more of the schools participate in the state sectionals? 

And saying that schools only pull from their communities is false. Students praticipate each year at other schools they aren't zoned for. It's a pretty regular thing. Each school needs to improve their programs, coaching staffs and have more supporttive admins then maybe things will improve. Also fundraising would help each program get the needs of each team. 

MCPS have way too many excuses! CA has always been accused of recruiting but never been out on probation. So an upset mom and dad making false allegations doesn't mean a student has been recruited. Parents make the decision to send their kids to CA due to better education and better sports opportunities. 

Congrats to CA on defeating powerhouse district opponents like Santa Fe, Hampshire, Culleoka, etc on an annual basis. You should be very proud of those accomplishments. Those "natural rivals" sent a strong message by doing what they did this season. How about the "Big Bad Dawg" step up and compete with schools like themselves instead of beating up on tiny class A MCSchools? I don't think any of CA's current district opponents are busing kids in from surrounding counties either. Let's just call it what it is-CA likes being the big fish in the small pond. I don't see how that is rewarding at all-kind of like beating up your little brother. Maybe they should call Zion and see how their program is surviving with all of those travel issues. CA is a good school and has some excellent programs, but everyone on the outside would just like to see them compete against similar opponents. 

• Like 1

Excuses! CA is one of the smallest private schools and smaller than some public schools? Is CA the reason the past few years a MCPS team gets blasted by Loretto, Summertown, Wayne County, etc... in Region Tournaments? 

The rivals sent a real message... "We can't beat CA so we will just take our ball and go home!"

CA isn't just beating Maury County Schools they play well past the District Tournament advancing deep into Region, Sub-State and State. 

Edited by The Consultant

19 minutes ago, The Consultant said:

Excuses! CA is one of the smallest private schools and smaller than some public schools? Is CA the reason the past few years a MCPS team gets blasted by Loretto, Summertown, Wayne County, etc... in Region Tournaments? 

The rivals sent a real message... "We can't beat CA so we will just take our ball and go home!"

CA isn't just beating Maury County Schools they play well past the District Tournament advancing deep into Region, Sub-State and State. 

Your last sentence makes my point-CA should be capable of competing against the BGA's, Goodpasture's, and CPA's, so why are they so vehemently opposed to playing other schools who function under the same set of rules as themselves?  The entire purpose of the public/private split was to get schools to compete against other schools who play by the same set of rules. I don't have an allegiance to any MC schools, I am just calling it like I see it. Do any of the other schools in 10a bus kids in from other counties? 

If the school wants to be Division I, just let them. Not like they're winning state every single year like the teams in Memphis who has 80+ schools in their system and just for example: the best player from Memphis East could easily move to MAHS and play 1A ball. No one wants to talk about that. For what it's worth, CA will never go Division II unless something  drastic happens.

Edited by PCsupporter4life

54 minutes ago, mumbletypeg said:

Your last sentence makes my point-CA should be capable of competing against the BGA's, Goodpasture's, and CPA's, so why are they so vehemently opposed to playing other schools who function under the same set of rules as themselves?  The entire purpose of the public/private split was to get schools to compete against other schools who play by the same set of rules. I don't have an allegiance to any MC schools, I am just calling it like I see it. Do any of the other schools in 10a bus kids in from other counties? 

CA is much smaller than BGA, Goodpasture and CPA. All were 2A at some point. CPA probably would be 3 A now. CA enrollment is less than Cully and Mt. Pleasant the last I checked enrollment figures. CA doesn't recruit or offer scholarships so why go DII? 

My point to the argument is that all the other Maury County Schools/10A Schools blame CA for their lack of success. The lack of success for each of these schools begin inside the schools themselves. Too many people have the wool pulled over their eyes and it's easier to place blame else where. 

Based on the multiplier for privates, CA is about 6 or 7 students away from being AA. I know they have a good team and would be competitive against AA competition as well. My issue is that they have the ability as a private school to do things that public schools can not do. That is the very definition of an unfair advantage. I also don't see how CA can feel good about beating up on the small schools in Maury County. I only replied to the thread after you started this with the chest beating "Big Bad Dawg" comment. Those other 10a schools certainly have some issues from an athletic standpoint and if I lived in Maury County I would want to do everything to give my child the best athletic opportunities available too. But how many of the players on CA's roster are zoned for those schools and competing against them for CA? Can Culleoka go and bus kids in from Giles or Marshall County or go and influence Santa Fe's best player to attend Culleoka? I don't have anything against CA in general. The people I have interacted with from CA have all shown class and dignity, but I believe they should be playing with other privates. Good luck in the 10a tourney and beyond.

The reason I used the phrase "Big Bad Dawgs" is because of his all other schools are treating them and acting as if CA is unbeatable. None of this was an issue when those schools could beat CA. 

Students in Maury County attend schools out of zone regularly. It's no hidden secret. Maury students also cross county lines and out of county kids attend Maury Schools also. There's loop holes around everything. 

Let me confirm and correct a few things:

• 277 HS students, 214 away from Class-AA
  • 7 students away from Class-AA with the multiplier
  • 5 private schools remain in Division I (Berean, Columbia Academy, Grace Leipers Fork, Knoxville Catholic, Trinity)
  • Catholic and Grace have declared for Division II for 2019-20
  • Berean, Columbia Academy, and Trinity will do so as well before the end of this 2-year classification period

Now on to some commentary:

I cannot figure out what these schools, coaches, administration, and districts are hoping to teach their students athletes with the following policies:

• Behaving in a cartel-style fashion by collectively refusing to play a team in your district
  • After refusing to play said opponent, then to declare that your opponent forfeited the game(s)
  • Universally decree them to be in last place in district seeding

Private-public is not what is at issue here, what is at hand is whether you believe the above 3 bullet points to be honorable and the kind of behavior you want your kids to learn and emulate.

Edited by JFW3