6AAA

icecube

The phrase, the coaches way or the highway comes to mind.  This is what parents seem to forget today, The only side that really matters in this type of situation is the coach's.   When you are a head coach and overseeing your program, you have to make tough decisions.  I promise you, no coach wants to kick players off there team, especially players that can help them.  However, if a player does not abide by the rules a coach has established, that player has to go.  It not only sets a standard for that season, but it sets the standard for as long as the coach is at that program.  I have tremendous respect for coaches that put character and doing things the right way above simply winning.  Coach Powers is teaching his players much more than how to play baseball, he is teaching them important life lessons.  The problem with student athletes today is many of themt are coddled way too much and have parents that come up with a thousand reasons why it is not their fault or why it is the coaches fault they are not playing.  The most important lessons any coach can teach their players is they can choose to do whatever they want to, but there are going to be consequences for what they choose to do.  I have no idea what the circumstances in this decision were, but I know Coach Powers is doing what he feels is the best thing for his program and totally support his decision.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trusttheprocess said:

The phrase, the coaches way or the highway comes to mind.  This is what parents seem to forget today, The only side that really matters in this type of situation is the coach's.   When you are a head coach and overseeing your program, you have to make tough decisions.  I promise you, no coach wants to kick players off there team, especially players that can help them.  However, if a player does not abide by the rules a coach has established, that player has to go.  It not only sets a standard for that season, but it sets the standard for as long as the coach is at that program.  I have tremendous respect for coaches that put character and doing things the right way above simply winning.  Coach Powers is teaching his players much more than how to play baseball, he is teaching them important life lessons.  The problem with student athletes today is many of themt are coddled way too much and have parents that come up with a thousand reasons why it is not their fault or why it is the coaches fault they are not playing.  The most important lessons any coach can teach their players is they can choose to do whatever they want to, but there are going to be consequences for what they choose to do.  I have no idea what the circumstances in this decision were, but I know Coach Powers is doing what he feels is the best thing for his program and totally support his decision.  

Nailed it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, Trusttheprocess said:

My understanding is the player was kicked off for attending a college showcase. Don't understand why a coach would not want his players to help better themselves. I'm sure it boils down to a "POWER' grab :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DiamondWatcher said:

My understanding is the player was kicked off for attending a college showcase. Don't understand why a coach would not want his players to help better themselves. I'm sure it boils down to a "POWER' grab :)

wow, great 1st post! If you that concerned maybe you should ask the coach or setup a meeting with the AD. It's not like it would be a "POWER"meeting :)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, DiamondWatcher said:

Why would any coach care if a player attends a showcase or camp provided they don't miss his high school practice.

I have no idea or insight on what happened but player health concerns is probably a big part of it I'd imagine.  Coaches wouldn't want their kids throwing a max effort bullpen on a Saturday after lifting heavy on Friday perhaps? Perhaps they are on some kind of throwing program and throwing 8 fastballs as hard as possible would be detrimental.  These college "showcases/camps" in the fall are for one thing, and one thing only... raising money to pay their volunteers and assistants.  Trice knows what he's doing.