State tournament updates and results

Bump11

On 1/5/2018 at 9:25 AM, MemphisTiger14 said:

I'm predicting that Horst and Cannon meet in the finals at 120. It could potentially be a preview of the state-semi's/finals at that weight. I also think Cannon wins in a tight one.

Okay, so I was obviously very misinformed about the Palmer/Horst switch at this time, but it looks like Cannon ended up delivering as promised. I'll admit that I'm biased being from Memphis, but anyone that was sleeping on him this season should know that he's legit by now. Hopefully he'll wrestle better tomorrow than he did in the Wildcat finals in January. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

I admit, I didn’t see that coming. Sweeney has something to prove for sure

The only thing Sweeney is proving is that the refs are in Cleveland’s back pocket. He’s proving that you can win without doing anything if the refs are on your side. And that if you hit someone in the face over and over again, that the refs will eventually start giving you points for it. That match is a disgrace to the sport. For Sweeney, go out there and actually wrestle, stop with the constant hands to the face and pushing people back. And to the refs from that match...well, don’t quit your day job. It’s sad that everything has become so political. I’m not even associated with Beech but that match was a fluke. The best kid did not win. And Rippy never should’ve been hit with staling. The only times he backed up was when Sweeney hit him in the face (over and over and over) or when Sweeney pushed him back. Sweeney wrestled like a child and Rippy got punished for it. Makes me sick

Edited by Bump11
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bump11 said:

The only thing Sweeney is proving is that the refs are in Cleveland’s back pocket. He’s proving that you can win without doing anything if the refs are on your side. And that if you hit someone in the face over and over again, that the refs will eventually start giving you points for it. That match is a disgrace to the sport. For Sweeney, go out there and actually wrestle, stop with the constant hands to the face and pushing people back. And to the refs from that match...well, don’t quit your day job. It’s sad that everything has become so political. I’m not even associated with Beech but that match was a fluke. The best kid did not win. And Rippy never should’ve been hit with staling. The only times he backed up was when Sweeney hit him in the face (over and over and over) or when Sweeney pushed him back. Sweeney wrestled like a child and Rippy got punished for it. Makes me sick

The refs are in Cleveland’s favor? Lmao u really think so? The ref in that match from from Nashville!  Did u see Mathews get robbed on that takedown?

Edited by fooseball95

5 hours ago, Bump11 said:

The only thing that I will agree on is that the stalling call to tie the match was incorrect as Rippy was circling hard to get back in bounds and Sweeney was pushing him out of bounds.  It should have been a no call.  The major problem was that the gas tank of Rippy went empty early in the match and he was backing up on his feet much of the match.  I didn't see the hands to the face you are talking about.  The head taps appeared to be on the forehead and not below the eyebrows.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, mat73557 said:

I didnt like that call either.  I thought Rippy was circling trying to get back in the circle and Sweeney did not allow him in. 

giphy.gif

I personally hate this tactic to try and get points.  Rule change needs to happen soon, to me its the same thing as running your opponent out of bounds when he gets his feet while attempting a stand up.  I don't know if this is truly Sweeny just trying to push him out because at the beginning of the clip he is pummeling in and makes some knee taps but towards the end of the clip it is close, personally I did not see the match though.  

I have seen heavyweights do this to try and get stall calls and it makes me sick as a former heavy myself.  Like I said, a rule change needs to happen to where this could be considered fleeing the mat because it you are in fact trying to push the action out of bounds.

Edited by reddevilfan09
  • Upvote 1

I think we can all agree that it is not stalling in the Sweeney/Rippy match.  The question is will anything at all be done about it?  The refs this year have decided way too many of these matches. If my performance at my job was this bad, I would not have the job.  The other ref actually disagreed with the take down that won this match and the ref that called stalling awarded the take down anyway....  I don't think in this case that the ref wanted Sweeney to win because he wrested for Cleveland.  This particular ref has made numerous bad calls against Beech, especially in the last 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, GodFamilyWrestling said:

I think we can all agree that it is not stalling in the Sweeney/Rippy match.  The question is will anything at all be done about it?  The refs this year have decided way too many of these matches. If my performance at my job was this bad, I would not have the job.  The other ref actually disagreed with the take down that won this match and the ref that called stalling awarded the take down anyway....  I don't think in this case that the ref wanted Sweeney to win because he wrested for Cleveland.  This particular ref has made numerous bad calls against Beech, especially in the last 2 years. 

A great call would be a No call on this one ...in my opinion. It could be a factor of being less offensive prior to this call though. So it's a judgment call  by a referee (maybe not in this case, but especially a ref that knows the wrestler's tactics with greater talent throughout the season and prior years) sensing a pattern where a wrestler watches the clock run without any offensive attack. . For example, in this case... Rippy could have broke tie, knee tap, go to the right leg on a single by simply going the opposite direction toward inbounds or shucking him by... Probably no points scored, probable stalemate, but no stalling call either.

Great family and great coach. Class act!!

Understand this young man will be moving on to higher school learning with his 4.0+ and 34 act anyway.

Great talent!

Kudos to both for great effort and now especially for what Rippy may take to the Ivy league or where ever he goes!