My final thoughts on the 2018 State Tournament

WrestlingGod

What a season. What a state tournament! Ups and downs. Between seniors missing the podium and freshman winning it all this years state tournament really did have it all. Here are some of my thoughts on this seasons grand cow palace finale.

1. Region 6 ran away with it this year with 4 right behind them and then 7. I heard someone say that this was the first year in twenty some odd years that Bradley didn't have a finalist. I haven't fact checked that so I'm not sure on the accuracy there but if so than that is crazy. Cleveland had two finalists and Soddy had only one medal. I'm not here bashing region 4 by any means. I'm saying that, while it may have taken some years, it would appear as if the rest of the state is finally starting to step up their level of competition to meet region 4. Now that's not to say that Cleveland isn't the favorite again next year, because they obviously are. I'm simply saying next year may finally be the year that another team steps in and brings home a state championship.

2. Wow, that's really all I can say about all the entertaining finals matches. 113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 182, 220, all of these final matches were so close and if they were rewrestled im not sure I could pick the same kid to win twice with any certainty.

3. With the above said, 113 was ABSOLUTELY the right call. The Peterson for the win was awesome! As for the Bartlett coaching staff I get it, its the state finals, your kid is a senior, it was a really close call, they were for sure right to question the call. However, I didn't like seeing the kid refuse to shake the Wilson Central kids hand at first, and I really hated seeing the coaching staff refuse to leave the match until they were told to leave. It just didn't have any class. You have to lose graciously too. Take a note from Chase Brown and the way he handled defeat. He hugged Cameron Henderson, walked over to the Smyrna coaches and gave them a hug, then walked over to his coaches and hugged them too and walked away. To me, that showed class. He gave up the takedown at the end and then another takedown at the beginning of overtime and had his dream crushed in a span of 20 seconds and two takedowns. But he still gave the other wrestler the respect he had earned. Bravo Chase.

4. I really loved all the diversity in the finals. 152 and 160 had kids in the finals that weren't even on the final rankings and 113 was won by a kid that wasn't ranked! That's awesome! To see kids show up under everybody's radar and go all the way to the end is truly amazing and inspiring.

That's about what I got guys. Time to get fat and come back ready for freestyle and Greco! See you in a couple months. And as always GO SPARTANS!

Love these overviews most years. Lots of emotions out there, which I remember coaches failing to just what the Bartlett coaches did and would have changed history. Bond Davis,,, remember? If you leave, it's on the books to stay. Should there be any question regarding rules and such, cannot stay and discuss.

Great analysis!!

Thanks

My personal experience and overview of wrestling as a whole and what it does for kids is anything but negative. You will lose once when you think you should have won, you will win once when you thought you were gonna lose.  Same as life and that's what I see as wrestling being the greatest athletic sport teaching life lessons. Team sports are fantastic for kids as well, don't get me wrong, but having no choice but to stand on your own 2 feet all by yourself and accomplish what you set out to accomplish can not be matched.  that's inside the circle. Outside the circle there is a community of people who genuinely wish well and root for their previous or even upcoming opponents out of respect because they all know who has put in the work and truly deserve that one shot at greatness. im a proud father right now, but at the same time confident that what the wrestling community and sport has taught my boys will get them through things that only true gut checks and losses can teach you. That in the end you can still come out on top!!  And you can beat things that you never thought you could!! just keep grinding!! been a heck of a ride!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbg said:

I didn't see the D1AAA 113lb championship match but I will say if there is any question at all regarding a call being reversed NEVER EVER LEAVE THE MAT.  Once you leave the mat it is officially over.

The call was confirmed and the fans were yelling telling him not to leave at all. He did end up leaving but it was after the call had been confirmed and the ref had left the mat

9 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

The call was confirmed and the fans were yelling telling him not to leave at all. He did end up leaving but it was after the call had been confirmed and the ref had left the mat

The coach was asked to stay on the mat as the official went to the head table.  Once Mike Parker came back to the mat and told the decision was final, the coach left the mat.  I don't think the head coach did anything wrong, he stated his case for his kid.  The fans and the assistant coach, on the other hand, were out of control.  

Cleveland has a great group of above average wrestlers who win the majority of their matches but they do not currently have any Chris Debiens.  Their consistency wins.  No one has the level of consistency top to bottom and until that is found, no one will challenge.  Beech seems to be getting there quickly by scoring tons of points with a few studs.  I'm not sure any of their top points scorers graduate this year (I know Rippy graduates but he only scored 15 by forfeiting out).  If Beech can fill in the uppers with a few top 6 wrestlers they will be contending.

1 hour ago, Bump11 said:

OW that is correct. The issue was with the fans. I did think Gabe handled it well. 

As far as next year goes, if Beech can fill out their line up with some decent to above average kids, to compliment that 106-132 death row, they can be very very dangerous

To be fair...from the Halls cheering section.....it was the antics of the asst coach...ripping off his jacket...stomping his shoes onto the mat, as if he was about to go after the referee, slamming his butt down in his chair, then, jumping up again...like he had a new epiphany on something that he just realized would change the minds of the call on the mat.....that got the crowd riled up. 

Most were yelling at him....he flat out lost it, embarrassed himself (or at least should have felt that way).

Trust me, no one believes in fighting for your wrestler, more than me.....but....it needs to be the Head Coach OR the Asst Coach...not both....which ever coach that is able to keep his composure the best. Whichever coach that can lead his wrestlers, and young men, by example, should be the one arguing. We all lose it, once in awhile...but that wasn’t a pretty display. I guess we can give him a pass, this time..big stage, and all...but a little self-reflection may be in order.

Gabe did exactly what he was told to do, and frankly, exactly what he should have done....until it was final.  I thought Gabe handled it just fine. He was in a horrible position, for a young man.

Well done, Gabe.  If he didn’t shake his hand after all of that...and I thought for sure he did....earlier.....it was simply and oversight, not a conscious act.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Twofdr

1 hour ago, Bump11 said:

OW that is correct. The issue was with the fans. I did think Gabe handled it well. 

As far as next year goes, if Beech can fill out their line up with some decent to above average kids, to compliment that 106-132 death row, they can be very very dangerous

It would be fun to see Beech and McCallie in a dual with both teams having good lower weights.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

It would be fun to see Beech and McCallie in a dual with both teams having good lower weights.

They wrestled at the Cleveland Duals this season, but both teams’ lineups have changed a lot. Especially at the lower weights. It would be fun to see them wrestle again with their current lineups. McCallie won the first time 46-25.