Region 3A/Can district 6A make it a clean sweep?

UCSportsFan

13 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Pickett was up by 42 when they unloaded the bench and won by 28. Abbott and Gibson both had 5 threes and the team had 13 threes.  What happened. Jackson Co?

I was not able to go to game so not sure what happened.   While I thought jc would win I was not shocked.  Hard to go on road and win this time of year.  Don't be mad cause I called out your other post. No hard feelings and good luck to our district teams rest of way

9 hours ago, VBEagleAlumni said:

I had high hopes we’d make it back to state for the fourth year.. Unfortunately we drew the tougher side of the bracket and Edwards is one of the best boys basketball coaches in the state. Baskets weren’t falling like they usually do. Hats off to Clay Co for executing their game plan ESPECIALLY in Van Buren during tournament time. 

Tougher side? That was the first round. Sides don't happen until the 2nd round. The fact is all 6A teams in the region tournament were good and the #4 team was the only team you could have played unlike round 2.

3 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Tougher side? That was the first round. Sides don't happen until the 2nd round. The fact is all 6A teams in the region tournament were good and the #4 team was the only team you could have played unlike round 2.

I was at the game last night and if Clay plays like they did against VB they’ll be in the state tournament. Totally different team than the one that came in 4th in the district tournament. I thought the key was #50 getting into foul trouble early and then picking up another quick foul once he’d re-enter the game each time so he never really got a chance to play much.  Coach Edwards put together a great game plan and his team executed it to perfection. Which is what it took to beat VB last night.  Monterey will reap the benefits of finishing first in the district tournament as they get an easy game in the semis while Clay/PC will be another battle. I look for Clay to play Monterey and beat them for the Region Championship and then make it back to the state tournament once again. 

7 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Tougher side. Yes. It’s not rocket science. We would’ve had to play Pickett if we won, then Monterey if we beat Pickett... Not South Pittsburg then richard hardy like Monterey is going to get to do.

Edited by VBEagleAlumni

On 2/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, VBEagleAlumni said:

Tougher side. Yes. It’s not rocket science. We would’ve had to play Pickett if we won, then Monterey if we beat Pickett... Not South Pittsburg then richard hardy like Monterey is going to get to do.

Good point and one that is correct!  This side of the bracket had 3 very good teams in it as opposed to only one (Monterey) on the other side. So yes VB had the toughest bracket.  Having said that they have benefited all these years from playing in a weak region and being able to book their state tournament rooms months in advance.  I said it at the beginning of the year that it would be a much tougher road for VB to make it back to the state tournament because of the quality of teams they had to play in the region tournament.  Regular season wins are one thing, but come tournament time its another level.  VB had one of the best teams, no doubt about it.  Good players and the BEST player in Class A in this area this year.  Clay just played better and on this night was the better team.  I still say #50 getting into foul trouble early and staying in foul trouble was a big key for the victory.  The Silk kid played one of his best games of the year in my opinion and those two things made the difference.  It doesn't get any easier for Clay, long time rival and nemesis Picket County is up next.  Should be a dandy!

Edited by UCSportsFan

On 2/25/2018 at 1:52 AM, VBEagleAlumni said:

Richard Hardy barely has any fans.

South Pittsburg is a football/baseball school.

Also, congrats to Clay County for pulling off the upset.. Made me eat crow. Tough way to end magnificent careers for Caden Mills and company.

Before Hardy fielded a Varsity team, SP was very competitive in basketball.  Of course they also had a Hall of Fame coach named Sam Brooks as well at SP and that was a big deal.

4 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Good point and one that is correct!  This side of the bracket had 3 very good teams in it as opposed to only one (Monterey) on the other side. So yes VB had the toughest bracket.  Having said that they have benefited all these years from playing in a weak region and being able to book their state tournament rooms months in advance.  I said it at the beginning of the year that it would be a much tougher road for VB to make it back to the state tournament because of the quality of teams they had to play in the region tournament.  Regular season wins are one thing, but come tournament time its another level.  VB had one of the best teams, no doubt about it.  Good players and the BEST player in Class A in this area this year.  Clay just played better and on this night was the better team.  I still say #50 getting into foul trouble early and staying in foul trouble was a big key for the victory.  The Silk kid played one of his best games of the year in my opinion and those two things made the difference.  It doesn't get any easier for Clay, long time rival and nemesis Picket County is up next.  Should be a dandy!

A lot of people were expecting another state run this year. I knew with our 7 days off and being in an even weaker district this year we were in trouble especially when I found out VB played Clay again. We just played our worst game at the wrong time. The Region we were in used to be really tough with the likes of CSAS and Grace Baptist. I do know one thing, I wish Van Buren would play Pickett again every year, that’s one Rivalry Game I do miss.

3 hours ago, VBEagleAlumni said:

A lot of people were expecting another state run this year. I knew with our 7 days off and being in an even weaker district this year we were in trouble especially when I found out VB played Clay again. We just played our worst game at the wrong time. The Region we were in used to be really tough with the likes of CSAS and Grace Baptist. I do know one thing, I wish Van Buren would play Pickett again every year, that’s one Rivalry Game I do miss.

You’re right about your district being tough a few years ago. Temple, Grace Baptist, CSAS were all good. Of course as all of us knew back then Temple was doing it illegally and in the end the entire school shut down. Pickett County always brings a crowd and it would be some great games to watch without a doubt. VB always seem to have some good ball teams despite its size which tells me y’all are doing a good job at the middle school level. 

On 2/26/2018 at 1:25 AM, VBEagleAlumni said:

The first round has no sides. You can only play one team already decided. It is not like you may play one team or another. The 2nd round isn't a factor in the first round, especially when you lose. It isn't rocket science!

8 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

The first round has no sides. You can only play one team already decided. It is not like you may play one team or another. The 2nd round isn't a factor in the first round, especially when you lose. It isn't rocket science!

I can’t take you seriously if you don’t think Van Buren, Clay & Pickett on one side of the bracket isnt the tougher side of the bracket. Lol

8 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

You’re right about your district being tough a few years ago. Temple, Grace Baptist, CSAS were all good. Of course as all of us knew back then Temple was doing it illegally and in the end the entire school shut down. Pickett County always brings a crowd and it would be some great games to watch without a doubt. VB always seem to have some good ball teams despite its size which tells me y’all are doing a good job at the middle school level. 

Well, Basketball is the main sport up here on the mountain. So kids grow up playing it. Only thing to really do in this small town.