Region 2AAA Tournament

Chinadog

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two really good games tonight at Bearden High School. In the first game, I don't know if anyone had a lead of more than about 4 points in the 2nd half between Powell and Maryville. Both teams were stuck on 48 for a while and then went to overtime at 55. I kept waiting for Maryville to take the lead and pull away and they never did. Joe Anderson hit a huge 3 to tie it with about 3 seconds left. (I think you have to foul in that situation) #32, Tripp, played huge for Powell and I thought #4, Giles, had a great game for Maryville. But the name of the game is survive and advance and Powell did just that.

In the 2nd half of the doubleheader, I thought Oak Ridge started really well. They were getting after it defensively and running for easy baskets. Green is such a good coach. He knew everything that Bearden tried to do on offense and was calling plays for easy baskets in the first half. I think Bearden really missed Pember and adjusted to not having him out there. Oak Ridge went up 7 in the first half and Bearden tied it up going into halftime. Bearden adjusted well in the 2nd half and was able to make the plays to win the game. Oak Ridge was in foul trouble all night. Glover gets the headlines for Bearden, but I thought Robinson, Brown and London Stephney played outstanding tonight. Bearden ended up winning by 14, but it was a much closer game than that. I think it was a 4 point game with about 2 minutes left.

The officiating crew for the first game I thought was great. Not so much in game 2...and I'm a Bearden supporter. Inconsistency at both ends and at one point in the 2nd half Oak Ridge was called for 4 consecutive fouls. You could kind of feel the game turning. It just seemed that the refs tried to assert themselves too much. I was sitting behind the scorer's table and even the demeanor of the two crews was vastly different.

Region semifinals is always the best atmosphere all season. 4 great teams with fan bases/communities that come and support their boys.

Powell @ Bearden Thursday night at 7:00

6 hours ago, dirtydawg15 said:

Oak Ridge was in foul trouble all night. Glover gets the headlines for Bearden, but I thought Robinson, Brown and London Stephney played outstanding tonight. Bearden ended up winning by 14, but it was a much closer game than that. I think it was a 4 point game with about 2 minutes left.

Highly agree in the Pember, Brown and Robinson comments. 

Good luck to both Bearden and Powell tonight in the Region 2AAA finals!

Thinking it'll be close and back and forth through 1Q, Bearden will be up by 6-8 at half and will eventually win by 15 give or more.  On the flip side, I don't think Science Hill will beat DB. That'll be Powell @ DB and Science Hill @ Bearden in the sectionals for a rematch of last years sectional (Bearden also won that last year).  

Edited by Chinadog

3 hours ago, Chinadog said:

Thinking it'll be close and back and forth through 1Q, Bearden will be up by 6-8 at half and will eventually win by 15 give or more.  On the flip side, I don't think Science Hill will beat DB. That'll be Powell @ DB and Science Hill @ Bearden in the sectionals for a rematch of last years sectional (Bearden also won that last year).  

I am terrible at picking games but Bearden can call the score tonight. Unless they are just a talented but no discipline team. 

7 hours ago, Chinadog said:

Well your wrong again SH did win tonight .id say you've not seen them play there evenly matched.Has Powell got better than the 16 point loss to SH early in the year

7 hours ago, Chinadog said:

5 minutes ago, numnuts said:

Well your wrong again SH did win tonight .id say you've not seen them play there evenly matched.Has Powell got better than the 16 point loss to SH early in the year

Always half right. Usually when I pick Bearden. You're right, have not seen Science Hill play, but have seen DB play. Good luck to all the teams Monday night. These games are getting good!

11 hours ago, numnuts said:

Powell played much better ball down the stretch than earlier this season.  SH will have to score more than 40 to beat them.  Bearden should handle DB for their 2nd straight trip to State.

Bearden should beat DB. I'd say fairly easily too. I think SH/Powell will be a much closer game. SH will have the advantage playing at home but this type of stage will be a first for most of their team. I'm not sure a lot of people realize just how young SH's team is. They only have 4 seniors, 3 of whom only see significant minutes. The inexperience has lead to a very up and down season for them. The same can be said for DB. 

Edited by WBNC83