Eagleville vs LEAD - what will the TSSAA do??

Gerry Bertier

It is obvious intentional cheating happened and I have heard from others this has happened in the past. If you continue to do nothing about those who break and bend the rules they will continue to break the rules. The tssaa is very much like the ncaaa the bottom dollar is all that matters. With that said I do hope the Eagleville folks do a gracious job in hosting the regional games tomorrow night and I sure they will. 

Edited by goforthegoal50
Punctuation

T$$AA doesn't care just like they don't care about all the illegal transfers in Memphis. They turn their heads on these issues because they are too lazy to do anything about it. Why isn't their an assigned Tssaa official at the table come tournament time? T$$aa makes way too much money for this type of thing to keep occurring. And this type of thing does happen way to many times unfortunately this time it cost a team their season.

3 hours ago, goforthegoal50 said:

It is obvious intentional cheating happened and I have heard from others this has happened in the past. If you continue to do nothing about those who break and bend the rules they will continue to break the rules. The tssaa is very much like the ncaaa the bottom dollar is all that matters. With that said I do hope the Eagleville folks do a gracious job in hosting the regional games tomorrow night and I sure they will. 

Don't agree with decision, but if it was about the money in this case Eagleville would have made them a lot more money. Lead has no fan base.

• Like 1

The TSSAA stated "TSSAA does not use video to change the score of a game once it is completed and that he had not watched the video submitted as part of the complaint"

There are two problems with this statement:

1. Back in 2015, when Smyrna beat Riverdale 55-39 and both girls' basketball teams were intentionally trying to lose the game in order to avoid Blackman... the result of that game was changed after it was completed.  What mechanism other than reviewing video was used to determine the result of the game had to be changed after its conclusion?  They did the right thing buy DQ-ing both teams, but if video could not be used, what was used to do this?

2. Refusing to even watch the video is poor.  I don't know the intentions of the people making the mistake but it would have served the TSSAA well to have at least viewed the relevant video to see if it clearly showed nefarious activity.  Announcing they refused to watch it comes across as arrogant and out of touch with the student-athletes and communities which their decisions impact.  Simply put, it's just really bad PR.

The TSSAA has to be intellectually consistent when ruling on these sort of matters.  The answer to the first question must be addressed in how the 2015 ruling differed from this one in 2018.  And if video was used in the Riverdale/Smyrna case, what rule change(s) took place between then and now which either (a) permitted video review in 2015, or (b) prohibits it in 2018.

Edited by JFW3
  • Upvote 1

In what realm of reality would you award someone who obviously cheated to win and penalize the team that did nothing wrong?!?!?!?! When a mistake happens it has to be admitted and corrected! I realize TSSAA cannot investigate ever accusation but when it is as obvious as this appears to be then there is only one correct outcome and that is not "oh well we'll let it stand". TSSAA has been headed in the wrong direction for years now and its only concern is "don't rock the boat" and "keep sending the money in". Until the issue is forced it will not change.

On 2/27/2018 at 0:25 PM, JFW3 said:

1. Back in 2015, when Smyrna beat Riverdale 55-39 and both girls' basketball teams were intentionally trying to lose the game in order to avoid Blackman... the result of that game was changed after it was completed.  

2. Refusing to even watch the video is poor.  I don't know the intentions of the people making the mistake but it would have served the TSSAA well to have at least viewed the relevant video to see if it clearly showed nefarious activity.  Announcing they refused to watch it comes across as arrogant and out of touch with the student-athletes and communities which their decisions impact.  Simply put, it's just really bad PR.

The TSSAA has to be intellectually consistent when ruling on these sort of matters.  The answer to the first question must be addressed in how the 2015 ruling differed from this one in 2018.  And if video was used in the Riverdale/Smyrna case, what rule change(s) took place between then and now which either (a) permitted video review in 2015, or (b) prohibits it in 2018.

You're analogy of the Smyrna-Riverdale game is completely wrong.  The result of the game wasn't changed.  Both teams were simply removed from the postseason based on their unsportsmanlike conduct.  While it wasn't a fight between two teams, it was the same principal...video used to look at gross unsportsmanlike conduct between the two teams.

It might have been bad PR to not watch the Eagleville video, but the PR would have been just as bad or worse to watch it and then have to say, "Yeah, Eagleville got screwed, but NFHS rules don't allow us to change the results."

I have always wondered why golf seems to be the only sport where integrity matters. If LEADS really lost, which I am guessing the coach for LEADS would know after a review of the game, then the character move would have been to admit it and not play Fayetteville. Again, that is assuming they the game really was not tied. 

56 minutes ago, MSUBac2001 said:

I have always wondered why golf seems to be the only sport where integrity matters. If LEADS really lost, which I am guessing the coach for LEADS would know after a review of the game, then the character move would have been to admit it and not play Fayetteville. Again, that is assuming they the game really was not tied. 

I wouldn't say golf has much integrity either from what I have seen. Situation should have been handled better at game by all concerned.

I am not blaming the officials at all because the jobs they have in postseason basketball in February, is tough already. However, there probably should've been an official that looked at the scoreboard in those situations. When the play is dead for an upcoming free throw, take a glance at the clock to view the amount of time remaining and the score. If both free throw goes in and the scoreboard operator doesn't put the 2 points on the board, let the next play roll and when that play is finished and the operator still didn't put the 2 points on the board, that's when you kill the play and have a come to Jesus meeting with the scoreboard operator. In addition to all of that, why can't we have a TSSAA basketball referee that is off but is "available" to work, work the scorebook or even be the scoreboard operator for a night? It's not the hardest job to do at all. I understand the TSSAA can't prove that it was cheating, even thought the video proved it. Needless to say, the scoreboard operator at LEAD should be fired.